redhat-digest Digest V98 #512

redhat-dig...@redhat.com

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

------------------------------

redhat-digest Digest Volume 98 : Issue 512

Today's Topics:
RE: Have any list members seen this.........
RE: printing problems, ppa zip disk, and RH 5.0
Re: lpd 0.31 broken
Re: Burning a RedHat CD - The Full Story
Re: How to remove ,cr> and ^M.
mirroring
Re: Virtual Hosting / DNS Question
Re: mirroring
Re: lpd 0.31 broken
Re: mirroring
Re: lpd 0.31 broken
Re: How to remove ,cr> and ^M.
RE: 3c590 and PCI-SCSI card confict IRQ conflict
RE: RH5.x install ?
RE: LPRng
RE: Upgrade to 5.1 - DPT RAID fails..
in market for new computer; want no problems
Re: How to remove ,cr> and ^M.
Re: Unreal for Linux
Re: Getting around in EMACS
Linux 4.2 Backup Tape compatibility
Network Card autoprobing
Re: Burning a RedHat CD - The Full Story ->HELP
Re: MS Mouse ver 2.0 vs 2.1

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to:

redhat-dig...@redhat.com

With "unsubscribe" in the subject line. Do NOT send a message
to redhat-list or redhat-digest. If you have trouble, send mail
to listm...@redhat.com and a person will help you.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:32:00 +0100
From: KThorpe <kth...@pricetrak.com>
To: chum...@lssi.net, redha...@redhat.com
Subject: RE: Have any list members seen this.........

Chris Humphres <chum...@lssi.net> writes:

> My company recently purchased a Dell PowerEdge 2300 server WITHOUT an OS.
> No problems from Dell and yes we are running Linux on it.:-)

We've just bought one of those, I think you'll find you've actually paid for
a licence for MSDOS in the deal. Dell don't ship entirely OS free.

Kevin Thorpe, ke...@pricetrak.com

Message created by ExpressIT! 2000 trial version.
(c) 1996 Infinite Technologies - http://www.ihub.com/products/exp2000

Kevin Thorpe
Purchasing Index (UK) Limited
LONDON, England
Tel: (44) 171 350 4200

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:39:31 +0200
From: Dodd Graham Civ USAFE CSS/SCBS <graha...@ramstein.af.mil>
To: "'redha...@redhat.com'" <redha...@redhat.com>
Cc: "'iro...@public.ibercaja.es'" <iro...@public.ibercaja.es>
Subject: RE: printing problems, ppa zip disk, and RH 5.0

Ignacio,
just for the record, the manufacturer doesn't know what he's
talking about, I have a zip drive hooked up to my Epson 600 and it works
great.

The problem is having the correct modules loaded, either lp.o or ppa.o

Check the Zip mini-howto, it explains all.

Graham

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:50:09 +0100 (BST)
From: "Tony Molloy." <tony....@ul.ie>
To: redha...@redhat.com
Subject: Re: lpd 0.31 broken

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Jacob A. Langford wrote:

> lpd is broken (i386 version at least).
>
> redhat 5.1 -> lpr 0.21.2 -> updated to lpr 0.31.1
> redhat 5.1 -> lpr 0.31.4
>
> Between 0.17 and 0.21 something got broken. The daemon
> acts as if every printcap entry had :rs=true:, thus only
> honoring remote print requests from valid users. Intentional
> (security paranoia) or accidental, I don't know, but it
> looks like a bug to me.
>
> I witnessed these problems on a default 5.1 installation,
> no updates.
>
> The message log shows "can't find user; can't fork".

I've also had these problems with 5.0 and had to back to slackware.
The problem is that when the remote print job arrives at the print
server the server runs it through the redhat print-filter system.
It uses ghostscript to do this. Unfortunately it tries to run
ghostscript as the user who submitted the remote print request. If
this user is not in the local password file or available through
YP then it can't fork the ghostscript process ( see above ) and
nothing gets printed.

I haven't got a workaround for this yet.

Tony.

Tony Molloy. e-mail: tony....@ul.ie
Systems Manager.
Dept. of CSIS. Phone: +353-61-202778 (DL)
Univ. of Limerick. +353-61-333644 ext. 2778
Ireland. Fax: +353-61-330876

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:59:06 +0200
From: Jos Vos <j...@xos.nl>
To: redha...@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Burning a RedHat CD - The Full Story

Cheng Yuan-Chung wrote:

> But can anyone tell me that where can I find "autoboot.img"
> and "boot.catalog" ???
>
> I can't find these two files in the misc/boot . :(

The file boot.catalog is created by mkisofs itself, so you don't
need it (in fact, it's overwtitten if it's already there, I think).

The file autoboot.img is currently not (at least not with that name)
available in the RH 5.1 tree. We hope someone from RH will tell
us more about that. You may want to try the autoboot.img file
from the RH 5.0 tree (dunno if that will work properly, it contains
another kernel version).

--
-- Jos Vos <j...@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jun 1998 11:02:47 +0100
From: James Youngman <JYou...@vggas.com>
To: redha...@redhat.com
Subject: Re: How to remove ,cr> and ^M.

mt> On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Sim Robert wrote:

>> After I transferred some text files from DOS to Linux, I
>> discovered that there is a <cr> or ^M after each line. How do I
>> remove those <cr> quickly, instead of doing so one by one.

mt> Use the command "dos2unix"...

AFAIK it is not included with Red Hat 5.0. Here is a shell script
which I use in its place:-

#! /bin/sh
cat "$@" | recode IBM-PC:latin1 2>/dev/null

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 12:05:44 +0200
From: LEBLIN JY <leb...@iae.univ-nantes.fr>
To: redha...@redhat.com
Subject: mirroring

Does anybody know where i can find a package or a script or a HOWTO to
setup a mirroring system on my RH5, with 2 HDD. I've heard of RAID, could
this do it well ?

Thanks
____
/ \ LEBLIN Jean-Yves
/ _ _ \ IAE de Nantes
|(0)^(0) | 02 40 14 12 04
|<_____> |
| \ _ / |
/ | | \
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
|_ | | |_ alias Grand Salut Legat Vogon Sthyr
_/ \ \_____/ _/ \ societaire de Soulepave et Laplhage.
{ |\_______/| }
\___/ \___/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:11:11 +0000
From: Claire Bradford <cla...@demon.net>
To: redha...@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Virtual Hosting / DNS Question

Lance Robertson wrote:

> the web browser when it points to DOMAIN. I want to be able to set up
> fred.DOMAIN
> and blah.DOMAIN so they will serve via the HTTP as well but will server out of
> their
> own directories.

> I have a Cacheing DNS running. I have one "real" IP
> address
> which is pretty much constant and is assigned by the cable company. My DOMAIN
> is accessible to the outside world via the internet just fine.
>
> When I pull up fred.DOMAIN it says the server doesn't have a DNS entry.

Hi Lance,

Two things you need to do here. The first is set up the sub-domains in
your DNS (or get your ISP to add the A records. You may only have one IP
address so for example :-

domain.com. 86400 NS ns2.domain.com.
domain.com. 86400 NS ns0.domain.com.
domain.com. 86400 NS ns1.domain.com.
domain.com. 86400 A 1.1.1.1 (silly IP example)

fred.domain.com. 86400 A 1.1.1.1

This is only an example with MX records missed out for quickness!
fred.domain.com would have the same IP address as you main domain. A
good place to start with DNS is to read 'DNS & BIND' published by
O'Reilly and Associates.

Secondly Apache needs to know about Virtual Hosts. There is a whole
section in the Apache documentation about virtual hosting. The docs on
Virtual Hosts can be found at
http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/index.html.

The main file you need to configure is /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. At
the end of this file you will be able to add virtual hosts.. e.g :-

<VirtualHost fred.domain.com>
ServerAdmin ad...@domain.com
DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html/fred/
ServerName fred.domain.com
ErrorLog /etc/httpd/logs/fred_error
TransferLog /etc/httpd/logs/fred_access
</VirtualHost>

If my memeory serves me right, you need to set a few other options to
use Virtual Hosts so definately read the documentation.

HTH

Cheers

Claire

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jun 1998 11:21:28 +0100
From: James Youngman <JYou...@vggas.com>
To: redha...@redhat.com
Subject: Re: mirroring

l> Does anybody know where i can find a package or a script or a
l> HOWTO to setup a mirroring system on my RH5, with 2 HDD. I've
l> heard of RAID, could this do it well ?

Take a look at the Software-RAID HOWTO.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 12:29:07 +0200
From: Wolfgang Brungert <w...@newton.msro.DeTeMobil.de>
To: redha...@redhat.com

Hi Lionel,

> Yes, this is a bug. lpd tries to fork the printing process with the
> username of the user who is printing.
> I have submitted this bug to the RedHat bugs page.
>
> I made some changes on the sources of the lpr package to be able to print.
> If you want my solution, please mail me.
>
> Lionel
>
> /----------------------------\
> | Lionel TRESSENS |
> | tres...@etud.insa-tlse.fr |
> | Tel : (+33) 6 12 48 94 77 |
> \----------------------------/

i have another problem related to printing from a Windows NT Server. Under
Redhat 5.0 with lpr-0.21 or Redhat 5.1 with lpr-0.31 i'm not able to print any
job. When i stop the queue, i see the job in the spool directory but when i
start the queue the printfile get's eaten and nothing is printed. :-(

As a solution i grabbed the lpr-0.19 package nad recompiled the package under Redhat 5.0 and 5.1. After that my printing is fine.

Any Comments ??

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Brungert phone: +49 251 977 4142
DeTeMobil fax: +49 251 977 4149
Roddestrasse 12 mail: w...@DeTeMobil.de
48047 Muenster

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 06:54:54 -0400
From: Roger <rz...@one.net>
To: redha...@redhat.com

On Thu, Jun 18, 1998 at 11:21:28AM +0100, James Youngman wrote:

> l> heard of RAID, could this do it well ?
>
> Take a look at the Software-RAID HOWTO.

There's also a Hardware RAID-1 available as well. You will need a DOS disk
though to initially mirror the disks and then if a HD fails you need the
DOS disk to mirror the replacement.

Roger

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:08:32 +0200 (CEST)
From: Tressens Lionel <tres...@etud.insa-tlse.fr>
To: redha...@redhat.com
cc: w...@DeTeMobil.de

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Wolfgang Brungert wrote:

> Hi Lionel,

Hi

> i have another problem related to printing from a Windows NT Server. Under
> Redhat 5.0 with lpr-0.21 or Redhat 5.1 with lpr-0.31 i'm not able to print any
> job. When i stop the queue, i see the job in the spool directory but when i
> start the queue the printfile get's eaten and nothing is printed. :-(
>
> As a solution i grabbed the lpr-0.19 package nad recompiled the package under Redhat 5.0 and 5.1. After that my printing is fine.
>
> Any Comments ??

No comments, sorry :)

Lionel

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:15:08 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Iztok Polanic <ssdi...@guest.arnes.si>
To: redha...@redhat.com

Hello !!!

On 18 Jun 1998, James Youngman wrote:

> AFAIK it is not included with Red Hat 5.0. Here is a shell script
> which I use in its place:-

If you're alredy looking for dos2unix command it is in redhat's contrib
directory!

Bye.

xxxxxx //////
xx xx ( o o )
xx xx /------------oOO-----O-----OOo------------\
xxxx | From: Iztok Polanic |
xx xx | E-mail: Iztok.P...@guest.arnes.si |
xx xx | WWW: http://kotzi.home.ml.org |
xx xx \-----------------------------------------/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 12:36:56 +0100
From: Joseph Doran <jo...@sports.gov.uk>
To: "'redha...@redhat.com'" <redha...@redhat.com>
Subject: RE: 3c590 and PCI-SCSI card confict IRQ conflict

Free up any unused ISA IRQ's

Disable some unused devices such as Com2. This will provide free such as
irq 3.

Move cards around try slots furthest apart first.

I have had this problem with 3c590 and DPT controller.

Hopefully this will resolve problem.

If not ask 3com for a later rev of the card by sending it back to them.

Contact 3com for a RMA first.

HTH
Joe.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:48:58 +1000
From: "Jon Biddell" <j...@fl.net.au>
To: <redha...@redhat.com>
Subject: RE: RH5.x install ?

Yes, the one non-Linux command you MUST execute is;

FORMAT C:

Then all your problems will be gone...:-)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 98 07:51:33 -0400
From: Ronnie.N....@bridge.bellsouth.com
To: redha...@redhat.com, wgab...@univ-lr.fr
Subject: RE: LPRng

--openmail-part-1447713f-00000001

I installed LPRng on RH5.0 & Slackware (kernel 2.0.30).
I don't use SMB.
Ended up LPRng was the only solution I could find to allow Linux to rec =
print
jobs from a mainframe application. Spent about a month trying everythin=
g I
could come up with, and other's suggestions. Linux would not allow main=
frame
access. I would send out "Malformed from address", nothing would spool =
etc.
Installed LPRng and everything was working 100%, has been 100% for about=
3
weeks.

=3D->Has anyone install LPRng on RedHat 5.0 ?
=3D->i have tryed LPRng-3.4.2-1 and LPRng-3.5.1
=3D->but both won't print to SMB printer
=3D->they print to Network printer but only the first 3 lines because
=3D-> a newline begin at the end of the preceeding line.
=3D->
=3D->HELP
=3D->
=3D->/*******************************************
=3D->* Wilfrid Gaboriaud
=3D->* La Rochelle
=3D->* France
=3D->* e-mail: wgab...@iut-lr.univ-lr.fr
=3D->* http://www-iut.univ-lr.fr/
=3D->* Mime Mail are Welcome
=3D->*******************************************/
=3D->
=

--openmail-part-1447713f-00000001

Has anyone install LPRng on RedHat 5.0 ?
i have tryed LPRng-3.4.2-1 and LPRng-3.5.1
but both won't print to SMB printer
they print to Network printer but only the first 3 lines because
a newline begin at the end of the preceeding line.

HELP

* Wilfrid Gaboriaud
* La Rochelle
* France
* e-mail: wgab...@iut-lr.univ-lr.fr
* http://www-iut.univ-lr.fr/
* Mime Mail are Welcome
*******************************************/

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 12:54:40 +0100
From: Joseph Doran <jo...@sports.gov.uk>
To: "'redha...@redhat.com'" <redha...@redhat.com>
Subject: RE: Upgrade to 5.1 - DPT RAID fails..

Are you sure that the DPT cards Address has not changed? check it in the
DPT bios by CTRL D at boot up.

Joe.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:59:25 +0200
From: "Swartzbaugh, Mr. Richard A." <swartz...@hq.hqusareur.army.mil>
To: "'redha...@redhat.com'" <redha...@redhat.com>
Subject: in market for new computer; want no problems

I want to buy a new computer through a mail-order supplier (like Gateway)
but I want no problems. I've loaded Linux before but could never get past
installing the network card. Has anyone recently bought a mail-order
computer with a network card and had no problems installing RH5.x?

Andy Swartzbaugh

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 07:04:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: Dave Parker <uw!dlpa...@uunet.uu.net>
To: redha...@redhat.com

Iztok Polanic wrote:

>Hello !!!
>
>On 18 Jun 1998, James Youngman wrote:
>
>> AFAIK it is not included with Red Hat 5.0. Here is a shell script
>> which I use in its place:-
>
>If you're alredy looking for dos2unix command it is in redhat's contrib
>directory!

You might also take a look at /usr/bin/tr.
--
Dave Parker/DLP, Inc dlpa...@dlpinc00.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:06:49 -0400
From: Joe Nestlerode <nest...@esvax.es.dupont.com>
To: Red Hat List <redha...@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Unreal for Linux

> One enterprising Linux user has put up a website where people can sign
> a petition to indicate that they would support a Linux port.

> The address is: http://www.voicenet.com/~shaitan/

I'm not a gamer, but I've added my name to the petition. IMO, the more
commercial ports and exposure for Linux, the better. (It's not just an
operating system, it's a movement!)

--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--
Joe Nestlerode, DuPont R&D `Powered by Linux'
Wilmington, Delaware ( A user since 1.2.8 )
--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:19:53 -0400
From: "W. Wade, Hampton" <wham...@staffnet.com>
To: Redhat List redhat <redha...@redhat.com>, Ray Curtis <r...@clark.net>,
Chris Wegrzyn <weg...@garbagedump.com>
Subject: Re: Getting around in EMACS

Folks, there was a great article a few years ago on customizingt
EMACS. You might want to check out http://www.ssc.com.
Also, adding the following lines to your .emacs file should do it:

(global-set-key [end] 'end-of-line)
(global-set-key [home] 'beginning-of-line)

I have a rather long .emacs file that I can send to anyone
who wants it. It contains F-key mappings (split screen,
keyboard macro), alt-keypad mappings (e.g., *==undo,
/==delete line), and code to turn on color-coding of
C and C++ (per the LJ article and other hacks).

If you want a copy, send me a mail....

Ray, the first mail to you was supposed to go to Chris
instead -- not enough coffee this AM.

Cheers,

--
W. Wade, Hampton

Use Linux -- stability, performance, compatibility, flexibility,
scalability, and FREE! Support Sun and the U.S. Government!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:25:07 -0700
From: bob jones <bo...@eskimo.com>
To: redha...@redhat.com
Subject: Linux 4.2 Backup Tape compatibility

I hope somebody knows about this or can tell me where to look. Thanks
in advance.

Will I be able to backup files using tar under Linux 4.2 with what is
called a
3M TRAVAN
tape? I believe the tape is an IDE type and the drive is a Seagate.
I believe this tape is available in 3 and 4GB uncompressed.
Perhaps the tape uses the floppy drive interface? I'm a little soft on
just what the interface is, but it is not SCSI. The tape is definitely
not a DAT type, and the above is the best ID on it I have been able
to get.

I apologize for being so ignorant about this.

bob jones (bo...@eskimo.com)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 07:59:47 -0400
From: "Damien Silveira" <dsil...@fthought.com>
To: <redha...@redhat.com>
Subject: Network Card autoprobing

I have reinstalled redhat numerous times now and am having no success. I am
installing from retail cd with one network card and choosing expert mode. I
set the i/o addr and the irq and then get the system running and add an
additional network card and create a kerneld device after I try to reboot it
says that probe found a nic eth0 at the address of the new card when in the
conf.modules I have the following:

alias eth0 ne
options ne io=0x300 irq=5
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x340 irq=10

Please help I am attempting to setup ip masquerading and without two nics it
is kinda hard.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Damien

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 07:48:06 -0500 (CDT)
From: Netlink Tech <te...@netlinkcom.com>
To: redha...@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Burning a RedHat CD - The Full Story ->HELP

I successfully download the directory tree for RH5.1.
I replaced the old RPMs with the updated ones.
I verified the structure and made sure that the directory names were
correct.
I made the new hdlist with this command(but with my path):
/temp/rh5/misc/src/install/genhdlist /temp/rh5

I made sure that mkisofs rpm was installed (RH5.0)
I ran the command (on one line):

mkisofs -b misc/boot/autoboot.img -c misc/boot/boot.catalog -a -A "RedHat
Linux 5.1 with Patches to 06/12/98" -d -L -o
/home/web/smiller/curts_stuff/rh51/RH5_1.iso -P "Publisher ID" -p
"Preparer ID" -r -T -N /home/web/smiller/curts_stuff/rh51

.. <output removed here>
.Using L.000 for ./rr_moved/l (l)

Size of boot image is 2880 sectors -> Emulating a 1.44 meg floppy
Total extents scheduled to be written = 184105
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
- ------------------------------
I got a Seg fault/core dump using the autoboot.img (copied from my
purchased RH5.0 CD to <my path>/rh51/misc/boot/autoboot.img

This has got me thinking that the 5.0 autoboot.img will not work with the
5.1 distribution.

Question:
I have written a few CDs with my CDROM writer. It is in an NT 4.0
Workstation and the CDs that I made were Win3.1/Win95/WinNT stuff and work
fine.

I am not really concerned with booting from a CDROM...as long as I can
install from cd with a boot floppy. Is it possible to get
around the autoboot.img issue?

After mkisofs, will I have a single image that I can ftp to my NT
workstation to burn to the cd?

Thanks,

Curt

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:22:26 +0930 (CST)
From: Alex Ardalich <al...@gsm.adelaide.edu.au>
To: Fred Lenk <fl...@commpower.com>
cc: redha...@redhat.com
Subject: Re: MS Mouse ver 2.0 vs 2.1

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Fred Lenk wrote:

> Fixed a weird problem. After running startx, the mouse
> wouldn't move the cursor unless I ended the GUI session,
> ran mouseconfig, and ran startx again. If I ended the
> GUI session and logged off as root, I had to do the
> same thing next time I logged in.
>
> I replaced the MS serial mouse version 2.1 with a
> version 2.0 serial mouse. Problem fixed!
>
> Anybody know the difference between these meeces?

It's in the FAQ....

E.8.13 I have a Microsoft serial mouse, and Linux doesn't want to work
with
it. What can I do to fix it?

It has been found that the 2 button Microsoft Mouse of version 2.1A or
greater is a "smart" mouse. It has been speculated that it is looking
for wakeup signals from Windows, or it will not respond back to the
computer.

This causes X and/or gpm to not work with Linux because the mouse is
not responding in a way these programs are expecting. To "reset" the
mouse to work with these programs, you can follow one of several
methods. Use mouseconfig to set things up before running X.

mouseconfig --kickstart --device cuaX

where X is either 0 (for com 1) or 1 (for com2)

Another solution is to get gpm-1.13, run as gpm -t pnp -R, and
configure XFree86 for MouseSystems Protocol with /dev/gpmdata as the
device.

I use the second option and all is well.

Alex

End of redhat-digest Digest V98 Issue #512