Copy/paste?

1 view

Boerge Haga

Aug 29, 2001, 4:12:04 AM8/29/01
How can I do copy and paste on RedHat5.1 (X11/Fvwm)?
I thought I could do it with copy=left mousebutton
and paste=right mousebutton but apparently I need
to set that up manually in some way. (I have a 2 button
mouse).

Any ideas?

Any keyboard combination that will do copy/paste without
having to specify it first?

Boerge

SwifT

Aug 29, 2001, 4:22:37 AM8/29/01
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:12:04 +0200, Boerge Haga <borg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> How can I do copy and paste on RedHat5.1 (X11/Fvwm)?
> I thought I could do it with copy=left mousebutton
> and paste=right mousebutton but apparently I need
> to set that up manually in some way. (I have a 2 button
> mouse).

IIRC pasting is done with the middle mousebutton (for you: press left and
right at the same time).

--
SwifT
|- LUG : http://www.lugwv.be

Boerge Haga

Aug 29, 2001, 4:34:02 AM8/29/01

"SwifT" <nom...@purenews.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:12:04 +0200, Boerge Haga <borg...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> IIRC pasting is done with the middle mousebutton (for you: press left and
> right at the same time).

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work.
PS:I think I specified my mouse as a OS/2 mouse during installation. It's
a Pentium PC.

Boerge

SwifT

Aug 29, 2001, 4:43:25 AM8/29/01
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:34:02 +0200, Boerge Haga <borg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work.
> PS:I think I specified my mouse as a OS/2 mouse during installation. It's
> a Pentium PC.

It could be that your X-version is too low (you said that you had RedHat 5.2)
although I thought that I already could copy/paste with the X on RedHat
4.2... You do mean copying in one X-session, don't you? Not between different
X-sessions or X-session<->terminal?

Boerge Haga

Aug 29, 2001, 4:53:26 AM8/29/01

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:34:02 +0200, Boerge Haga <borg...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> > Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work.
> > PS:I think I specified my mouse as a OS/2 mouse during installation.
It's
> > a Pentium PC.
>
> It could be that your X-version is too low (you said that you had RedHat
5.2)
> although I thought that I already could copy/paste with the X on RedHat
> 4.2... You do mean copying in one X-session, don't you? Not between
different
> X-sessions or X-session<->terminal?

I mean both. Being able to copy from one window and paste into e.g.
a text editor.
There must be a very simple way to do this. If not with the mouse
buttons then at least with some keyboard combination.

Boerge

SwifT

Aug 29, 2001, 4:59:48 AM8/29/01
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:53:26 +0200, Boerge Haga <borg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I mean both. Being able to copy from one window and paste into e.g.
> a text editor.
> There must be a very simple way to do this. If not with the mouse
> buttons then at least with some keyboard combination.

The way I described only works in one X-session (thus you can have multiple
windows, multiple desktops, but everything is on the same tty).
Control-C/Control-V works with most applications, but iirc this depends on
the windowmanager you use.

Nils O. Selåsdal

Aug 29, 2001, 7:29:54 AM8/29/01

"Boerge Haga" <borg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "SwifT" <nom...@purenews.com> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:12:04 +0200, Boerge Haga
<borg...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > IIRC pasting is done with the middle mousebutton (for you: press
left and
> > right at the same time).
>
> Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work.
Do you have Emulate3Buttons under your 'Pointer' section.
in your x configuration file?

Boerge Haga

Aug 29, 2001, 7:36:36 AM8/29/01
"Nils O. Selåsdal" <nose...@frisurf.no> wrote in message

> Do you have Emulate3Buttons under your 'Pointer' section.
> in your x configuration file?

The Linux-OS has recently been installed and no manual
configuration has been done yet. Can you explain what I
need to do with what files?

Boerge

SwifT

Aug 29, 2001, 8:01:29 AM8/29/01
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:36:36 +0200, Boerge Haga <borg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The Linux-OS has recently been installed and no manual
> configuration has been done yet. Can you explain what I
> need to do with what files?

Go to /etc/X11. You will find a file there called XF86Config. Open it using
your favorite editor (but do it as root, you need to alter it). Search for a
section called "Pointer". It should read something like:
Section "Pointer"
Protocol "PS/2"
Device "/dev/mouse" # Can be /dev/aux or similar
ZAxisMapping 4 5 # only for wheelmouses
Emulate3Buttons # ! This is necessary if you
# have a 2-button mouse
Emulate3Timeout 50 # You can add this too
EndSection

There is also (possible) an Xinput-section. It should look like this:

Section "Xinput"
SubSection "Mouse"
Protocol "Microsoft"
Device "/dev/ttyS0"
AlwaysCore
Emulate3Buttons
Emulate3Timeout 50
EndSubSection
EndSection

If you are uncertain of what to change, post your XF86Config here (or the
relevant parts) or (better yet) place it online and provide the url.