Problem with Boot Command

csvke

Jan 1, 2003, 10:25:00 PM1/1/03
I have got an old notebook (Fujitsu FMV-Biblo, Pentium 133, 96MB Ram, 1GB
Hard Disk, no CD-Rom and external Ethernet Card [Buffalo LPC5-CLV-CB] ) and
I want to install a Red Hat Linux to it...
I recently took the hard disk off and put it into an all-in-one notebook....
then i install the red hat linux 7.3 into the hard disk and tested it... it
worked fine with the all-in-one notebook so i thought that was a successful
installation and then i took the hard disk off and put it back to the old
notebook...
then it appeared with the problem... in the GRUB 0.91 interface, I choose to
boot with 'Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3)'... but it just didn't boot up correctly
and restarted itself after running the third boot command and it keeps like
a loop...

here are my boot commands: (default)
root (hd0,0)
kernal /vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hda2
initrd /initrd-2.4.18-3.img

or shouldn't i install the linux in that way... any other ways to install
red hat linux in my situation? (i can't take the hard disk off again coz i
haf broken some parts of the notebook body)

i was thinking of installing through FTP... i can download the iso files and
put it into my ftp site (i have got a real static IP with it) and intall
though it. but

[1] it seems that there ain't any linux driver for my network card...

[2] furthermore, can i use the pcmcia driver provided by the red hat site?
(pcmciadd.img... and use rawrite.exe to write into a disk)

[3] coz i can borrow a pcmcia external cd-rom to install it again but is
there a generic driver for normal external pcmcia cd-com?

Thanks for reading and i really hope you guys can help me to sort this
out... cheers mate.

Stefan Dohn

Jan 6, 2003, 4:26:39 AM1/6/03
> I have got an old notebook and ...

> I want to install a Red Hat Linux to it...
> I recently took the hard disk off and put it into an all-in-one
notebook....
> then i install the red hat linux 7.3 into the hard disk and tested it...
it
> worked fine with the all-in-one notebook so i thought that was a
successful
> installation and then i took the hard disk off and put it back to the old
> notebook...
> then it appeared with the problem... in the GRUB 0.91 interface, I choose
> boot with 'Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3)'... but it just didn't boot up
correctly
> and restarted itself after running the third boot command and it keeps
like
> a loop...

Hello, maybe the bios from the old laptop uses other parameters to access
the
harddisk. You should have a look at the bios parameters from your all-in-one
notebook. And maybe the Install CD has put the wrong kernel for your old
Notebook on the harddisk. There are several kernels for i386,i586,i686
available.
And for your all in one note book it is the right kernel, but for your old
Notebook maybe not.

You could give the network install a try. You need to make the pcmicia.img
disk from
the CDROM /images directory.