IBM Thinkpad freezes on upgrading 7.1->7.3

Nishi Nigam

Nov 22, 2001, 3:04:28 PM11/22/01

I have a dual boot IBM Thinkpad T20 running Win2K and SuSE 7.1
Yesterday, I upgraded to 7.3 and did a warm restart. Everything worked
fine
after the upgrade. Then, I went into Win2K with a warm restart and was
able
to use that without any problems.

My nightmare began when I shut the machine down. It just wouldn't
boot. It comes up with the IBM Thinkpad logo but then hangs. I am not
able to get into BIOS Setup (F1) or Boot from another temporary
device (F12) options.

I have seen some issues about this on Google. But no concrete solutions
!

I would appreciate if anyone who has had similar experiences could help
me out here or share experiences. I can be reached at
nishi...@yahoo.com.

Thanks

Regards
Nishi

Nov 23, 2001, 4:09:33 AM11/23/01
Nishi Nigam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a dual boot IBM Thinkpad T20 running Win2K and SuSE 7.1
> Yesterday, I upgraded to 7.3 and did a warm restart. Everything worked
> fine
> after the upgrade. Then, I went into Win2K with a warm restart and was
> able
> to use that without any problems.
>
> My nightmare began when I shut the machine down. It just wouldn't
> boot. It comes up with the IBM Thinkpad logo but then hangs. I am not
> able to get into BIOS Setup (F1) or Boot from another temporary
> device (F12) options.

What kind of sound chip do you have in your laptop. There ist a nasty bug
with some special sound chips. When the system (or an application) ties to
load the corresponding module the system hangs.

It would be worth to search the SuSE support data base for this issue. You
could also comment out your sound card settings in "/etc/modules.conf" and
see if it works without them.