simple microphone question

maris

May 1, 2002, 6:03:14 PM5/1/02
i don't know what to use for a mic

i'm running RH72, K destop (G is also installed), soundcard=soundblaster
Live! MP3+ (so that's decent, right?)
i just don't know anything about multimedia.
all i want to do is
1. verify that my mic is working (e.g., record my voice for a couple of
seconds - and play it back??
2. then want to try and get some speech-to-text going (i've already
installed ibm viavoice stuff, and checking out xvoice)

the microphones that i have are those cheap little plastic "sticks" that
come with cheap little plastic computer speakers (dime a dozen)...i really
don't know how else to describe them, they don't have any writing on them

i also happen to have a couple of "good" microphones from my brother's band
(so they are regular "singing" mics)....

could someone please give me a starting point here.....how would i at least
record my voice, then play it back?