2.6.30-rc3 : Regression: i915 , video

1 view

We La

Apr 23, 2009, 3:30:29 PM4/23/09

Problems on MSI U100 laptop:

root@werner:~# modprobe i915
WARNING: Error inserting video (/lib/modules/2.6.30-rc3/kernel/drivers/acpi/video.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting i915 (/lib/modules/2.6.30-rc3/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
root@werner:~#

Apr 23 16:16:57 localhost kernel: i915: Unknown symbol acpi_video_register

On older kernels this drivers worked

Werner Landgraf
Linux SYS

Len Brown

Apr 23, 2009, 3:50:12 PM4/23/09

> Problems on MSI U100 laptop:
>
> root@werner:~# modprobe i915
> WARNING: Error inserting video (/lib/modules/2.6.30-rc3/kernel/drivers/acpi/video.ko): No such device
> FATAL: Error inserting i915 (/lib/modules/2.6.30-rc3/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> root@werner:~#
>
> Apr 23 16:16:57 localhost kernel: i915: Unknown symbol acpi_video_register
>

> On older kernels this drivers worked
>
> Werner Landgraf
> Linux SYS

you've got modular i915 and no acpi video driver?
Does this patch help?

http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/18420/

thanks,
-Len Brown, Intel Open Source Technology Center

David John

Apr 24, 2009, 3:40:09 AM4/24/09

Can you forward this patch to Linus? This regression breaks quite a few
configs where ACPI Video is compiled as a module and i915 is built in.
This should have been in stable, but I guess it's too late now.

Regards,
David

We La

Apr 24, 2009, 10:40:07 PM4/24/09

On -git1 was not included the fix for that regression. :(

That regression means that on compilations with 'normal' configuration and thus in almost all distros THE I915 KERNEL DRIVER DONT LOAD AND IS UNUSED, AND THUS ON MOST INTEL GRAFIC CARDS THE GRAFIC DONT WORK CORRECTLY, INCLUSIVE NO DRI/GLX. Thus, this regression should be treated seriously and fixed.

Werner Landgraf
wer...@sys-linux.yi.org