VIA VT610 IDE support for 2.4.28 (trivial)

Mathias Kretschmer

Nov 23, 2004, 2:30:13 AM11/23/04
hi,

I found an older version of this patch (against 2.4.22) on some website.
After a little bit of editing it applied cleanly to 2.4.27 (and now
2.4.28). It works fine for me on a ASUS P4P800-Deluxe with 4x 300GB disks.

Maybe someone finds this patch helpful. Any reason why the original
patch did not make it into the kernel ?

-Mathias

2.4.28-vt610.patch

Jeff Garzik

Nov 23, 2004, 1:40:11 PM11/23/04

Why not add it to the existing via82cxxx driver, and get better
performance and device tuning?

Jeff

-
the body of a message to majo...@vger.kernel.org

Mathias Kretschmer

Nov 23, 2004, 4:00:36 PM11/23/04
Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Mathias Kretschmer wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> I found an older version of this patch (against 2.4.22) on some
>> website. After a little bit of editing it applied cleanly to 2.4.27
>> (and now 2.4.28). It works fine for me on a ASUS P4P800-Deluxe with
>> 4x 300GB disks.
>>
>> Maybe someone finds this patch helpful. Any reason why the original
>> patch did not make it into the kernel ?
>

> Why not add it to the existing via82cxxx driver, and get better
> performance and device tuning?

I only have that one ASUS board and there's data on the disks that I do
not want to loose.
The current patch worked well for me (performance is pretty decent), so
I went with it.

I can modify the VIA driver code, but looking at the various
exceptions/quirks for the various VIA chip sets, I'm a bit hesitant to
test it on my box.

-Mathias

Mathias Kretschmer

Feb 6, 2005, 6:10:09 PM2/6/05
Mathias Kretschmer wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
>> Mathias Kretschmer wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I found an older version of this patch (against 2.4.22) on some
>>> website. After a little bit of editing it applied cleanly to 2.4.27
>>> (and now 2.4.28). It works fine for me on a ASUS P4P800-Deluxe with
>>> 4x 300GB disks.
>>>
>>> Maybe someone finds this patch helpful. Any reason why the original
>>> patch did not make it into the kernel ?
>>

>> Why not add it to the existing via82cxxx driver, and get better
>> performance and device tuning?

OK, the attached patch adds support for the VIA 6410 chip to the
via82cxxx driver (instead of the generic driver).
I've tested it on the board mentioned above. Works fine for me.

Cheers,

Mathias

2.4.29-vt6410.patch

Mathias Kretschmer

Feb 7, 2005, 12:20:08 PM2/7/05

as above, but for 2.6.11-rc3

2.6.11-rc3-vt6410.patch

Jeff Garzik

Feb 7, 2005, 12:40:13 PM2/7/05

Bart, got this one?

Jeff

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz

Feb 11, 2005, 1:40:25 PM2/11/05
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 12:27:47 -0500, Jeff Garzik <jga...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Mathias Kretschmer wrote:
> > Mathias Kretschmer wrote:

> >> OK, the attached patch adds support for the VIA 6410 chip to the
> >> via82cxxx driver (instead of the generic driver).
> >> I've tested it on the board mentioned above. Works fine for me.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Mathias
> >

> > as above, but for 2.6.11-rc3
>
> Bart, got this one?

I applied it (after whitespace cleanup) to ide-dev-2.6.

Thanks,
Bartlomiej

Sergey Vlasov

Aug 15, 2005, 8:00:17 AM8/15/05
On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:33:59PM +0100, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 12:27:47 -0500, Jeff Garzik <jga...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > Mathias Kretschmer wrote:

> > > as above, but for 2.6.11-rc3
> >
> > Bart, got this one?
>
> I applied it (after whitespace cleanup) to ide-dev-2.6.

Sorry to bother you, but what's the status of this patch? Since that
time, 2.6.11 and 2.6.12 kernels were released, now 2.6.13 is almost
ready, and the VT6410 support does not seem to appear even in -mm.
Has the patch been lost, or is it broken?

Sergey Vlasov

Aug 17, 2005, 9:20:14 AM8/17/05
(sending this again, because did not see the message in linux-kernel
for 2 days and suspect that it has been lost; sorry if someone
receives a duplicate)