Mandrake 9.2 problem

1 view

D Stauffer

Nov 22, 2003, 10:34:40 PM11/22/03
I recently installed Mandrake 9.2 on my workstation. After a couple of days
of running, the machine locks up. When the lock up occurs the system is
idle, nothing CPU, memory or system intensive. The log files show no trace
of anything that would cause the machine to lock up or even that a problem
occurred right before the lock up. The first time this happened I ended up
with a corrupted superblock and I lost most of my data (backups are great).
So I thought it was a harddrive problem. After checking the harddrive I
found some bad blocks and after fixing them I thought the problems was
resolved. However, after I reinstalled Mandrake 9.2 the machine locked up
again but this time the harddrive was fine. The machine has locked up
since then but on bootup linux was able to recover from the crash without a
problem.

I already ran the memtest-x86 to test the memory and that tested OK. Is
there anything else that I can run that will verify that my hardware is
working properly? Is there some thing at a software level that I can set
or run that will log more information about what is happening as the system
runs?

Kernel: 2.4.22
ABIT system board
AMD XP 1900