SMP Kernel on Proliant 2500 2x200Mhz Pentium Pro ... Luck anyone?

Carsten Schmitz

Nov 4, 2003, 6:27:04 PM11/4/03

Some days ago I aquired a Compaq Proliant server, 2x 200Mhz Pentium
Pro, and can't get smp running.

RedHat 9 runs fine on it with a single CPU kernel (using kernel
parameters "mem=exactmap mem=0x7f00000@0x100000").

I have tried RedHat 9 default SMP kernel (2.4.20-8) and I have built
my own (same version), based on the sources Redhat ships. Furthermore
I found somewhere on Google that EISA config plays a role (people
suggested ACPI Full Table setting), therefore I have tried the
settings for "Shared Interrupts" (on and off) in all possible
combinations together with the ACPI setting (Full Table, Full Table
Mapped, Off). For the EISA operating system choice, I have tried both
Linux (appeared after I flashed the BIOS) and I also tried Solaris.

Whatever I do, the kernel hangs immediately after the message "OK,
booting the kernel" (the second line in the boot process or so).

Has anyone gotten such a machine to work with Linux and smp?

I am grateful for any pointer in the right direction. The lack of
sleep is killing me ;)

Thanks
Carsten

David W. Legg