Hoping to donate/sell a Talos II motherboard

jbr...@dismail.de

Feb 27, 2023, 10:40:05 PM2/27/23
Hello you fabulous developers!

My friend has a spare Talos II motherboard that is currently sitting in his house
in Indiana USA collecting dust.

https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII/

I have convinced him to donate/sell it to an open source project or developer.

I reached out to Richard Stallman, and he agreed to take the board. I am certain that the
FSF would put it to good use. My friend and I have not yet decided, to whom we will give
the motherboard. Is it possible that I could give it to someone or project, such that all
parties here would benefit?

Is there any project or developer here that would be willing to take this motherboard and create
virtual machines that other projects could have access to?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Joshua Branson
FOSS enthusiast
https://gnucode.me

Jeffrey Walton

Feb 28, 2023, 8:30:04 PM2/28/23
On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 7:46 PM <jbr...@dismail.de> wrote:

> My friend has a spare Talos II motherboard that is currently sitting in his house
> in Indiana USA collecting dust.
>
> https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII/
>
> I have convinced him to donate/sell it to an open source project or developer.
>
> I reached out to Richard Stallman, and he agreed to take the board. I am certain that the
> FSF would put it to good use. My friend and I have not yet decided, to whom we will give
> the motherboard. Is it possible that I could give it to someone or project, such that all
> parties here would benefit?
>
> Is there any project or developer here that would be willing to take this motherboard and create
> virtual machines that other projects could have access to?
>
> Thoughts?

I trimmed some of the non-relevant lists.

The Talos workstations are PowerPC based. There are users on
debian-powerpc who would put it to good use.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/ .

And I am envious of your friend. I've got a Talos on my wishlist for a
daily driver.

Jeff

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton

Feb 28, 2023, 10:00:05 PM2/28/23

On Tuesday, February 28, 2023, <jbr...@dismail.de> wrote:
> Hello you fabulous developers!
>
> My friend has a spare Talos II motherboard that is currently sitting in his house
> in Indiana USA collecting dust.
>
> https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII/
>
> I have convinced him to donate/sell it to an open source project or developer.
>
> I reached out to Richard Stallman, and he agreed to take the board.  I am certain that the
> FSF would put it to good use.  My friend and I have not yet decided, to whom we will give
> the motherboard.  Is it possible that I could give it to someone or project, such that all
> parties here would benefit?

i am reasonably certain that Toshaan Bharvani would be
prepared to do that although he would need to speak for
himself.

the other option would be to donate it to the University of
Oregon who already have POWER9 systems that are accessible
to FOSS projects via the "OpenPOWER Hub".  cc'ing Sameer
as well.

(in case that wasn't clear: FOSS projects can *already*, right
now, apply for access to POWER9 systems, do i have that right,
Sameer?)

--
---

Toshaan Bharvani | VanTosh

Mar 1, 2023, 6:20:05 AM3/1/23

On 01/03/2023 03:37, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 28, 2023, <jbr...@dismail.de
> <mailto:jbr...@dismail.de>> wrote:
> > Hello you fabulous developers!
> >
> > My friend has a spare Talos II motherboard that is currently sitting
> in his house
> > in Indiana USA collecting dust.
> >
> > https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII/ <https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII/>
> >
> > I have convinced him to donate/sell it to an open source project or
> developer.
> >
> > I reached out to Richard Stallman, and he agreed to take the board.
> I am certain that the
> > FSF would put it to good use.  My friend and I have not yet decided,
> to whom we will give
> > the motherboard.  Is it possible that I could give it to someone or
> project, such that all
> > parties here would benefit?
>
> i am reasonably certain that Toshaan Bharvani would be
> prepared to do that although he would need to speak for
> himself.
Yes, please, I am interested.
I would use it for PowerEL, LibreBMC and LibreSOC.
All open source projects.
Is this just a board or also a CPU?

> the other option would be to donate it to the University of
> Oregon who already have POWER9 systems that are accessible
> to FOSS projects via the "OpenPOWER Hub".  cc'ing Sameer
> as well.
>
> (in case that wasn't clear: FOSS projects can *already*, right
> now, apply for access to POWER9 systems, do i have that right,
> Sameer?)
>
> > Is there any project or developer here that would be willing to take
> this motherboard and create
> > virtual machines that other projects could have access to?
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Joshua Branson
> > FOSS enthusiast
> > https://gnucode.me <https://gnucode.me>
> >

> --
> ---
> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
> <https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68>

Toshaan Bharvani
+32-(0)476-66.70.55
tos...@vantosh.com
@toshywoshy
__ __ _____ _
\ \ / /_ _ _ _|_ _|__ ___| |__
\ \ / / _` | '_ \| |/ _ \/ __| '_ \
\ V / (_| | | | | | (_) \__ \ | | |
\_/ \__,_|_| |_|_|\___/|___/_| |_|

http://www.vantosh.com

jbr...@dismail.de

Mar 1, 2023, 8:40:05 AM3/1/23
March 1, 2023 5:11 AM, "Toshaan Bharvani | VanTosh" <tos...@vantosh.com> wrote:

> On 01/03/2023 03:37, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> On Tuesday, February 28, 2023, <jbr...@dismail.de > <jbr...@dismail.de>> wrote:
> Hello you fabulous developers!
>
> My friend has a spare Talos II motherboard that is currently sitting > in his house
> in Indiana USA collecting dust.
>
> https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII <https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII>
>
> I have convinced him to donate/sell it to an open source project or > developer.
>
> I reached out to Richard Stallman, and he agreed to take the board. > I am certain that the
> FSF would put it to good use. My friend and I have not yet decided, > to whom we will give
> the motherboard. Is it possible that I could give it to someone or > project, such that all
> parties here would benefit?
>> i am reasonably certain that Toshaan Bharvani would be
>> prepared to do that although he would need to speak for
>> himself.
>
> Yes, please, I am interested.
> I would use it for PowerEL, LibreBMC and LibreSOC.
> All open source projects.
> Is this just a board or also a CPU?

It is just the motherboard. :)
So to summarize, my friend is donating/selling an Talos II motherboard.
It does not have the CPU or RAM. Our current options are:

Donate to debian
Who will mostly help debian distributions run on Power9.

Donate to the FSF
Who will probably set up a substitute server for guix and help guix
run on Power9. As well as hosting mailing lists and other stuff?
donate to the university of Oregon, whose contact is Toshaan Bharvani.
Any any open source project can apply for virtual machines on it.

Donate to the OpenBSD foundation.
Who will push the boundaries of software security, and whose daemons
like openssh benefit everyone.

Any other options that I am missing?

I'll let me friend know these options, and I will encourage him to donate/sell
it by the end of March. (He's on vacation for the next two weeks).

Thanks,

Joshua

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton

Mar 1, 2023, 9:10:04 AM3/1/23

On Wednesday, March 1, 2023, <jbr...@dismail.de> wrote:
> March 1, 2023 5:11 AM, "Toshaan Bharvani | VanTosh" <tos...@vantosh.com> wrote:

>> Yes, please, I am interested.
>> I would use it for PowerEL, LibreBMC and LibreSOC.
>> All open source projects.
>> Is this just a board or also a CPU?
>
> It is just the motherboard.  :)

so someone has to spend maybe an additional...  USD... 1000?
2000? to get it into a useful state.  minimum 128 GB preferably
a lot more than that (in order to host multiple VMs),
plus SSDs / HDDs, plus a minimum 1,000 watt power supply.

> donate to the university of Oregon, whose contact is Toshaan Bharvani.

ah no.

Two SEPARATE options:

* donate to University of Oregon, whose contact is Sameer Shende,
 and if they agree they can add it to the multiple POWER9
 systems which are already available to FOSS Groups through
 the OpenPOWER Hub, have been for a few years now.

* donate to Vantosh Ltd, whose contact is Toshaan Bharvani,
 who already also hosts POWER9 systems for FOSS Projects
 (Libre-SOC in particular), and who is the maintainer of
 the PowerEL distribution.

l.

Toshaan Bharvani | VanTosh

Mar 1, 2023, 9:20:05 AM3/1/23

On 01/03/2023 14:12, jbr...@dismail.de wrote:
> March 1, 2023 5:11 AM, "Toshaan Bharvani | VanTosh" <tos...@vantosh.com> wrote:
>
>> On 01/03/2023 03:37, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, February 28, 2023, <jbr...@dismail.de > <jbr...@dismail.de>> wrote:
>> Hello you fabulous developers!
>>
>> My friend has a spare Talos II motherboard that is currently sitting > in his house
>> in Indiana USA collecting dust.
>>
>> https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII <https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII>
>>
>> I have convinced him to donate/sell it to an open source project or > developer.
>>
>> I reached out to Richard Stallman, and he agreed to take the board. > I am certain that the
>> FSF would put it to good use. My friend and I have not yet decided, > to whom we will give
>> the motherboard. Is it possible that I could give it to someone or > project, such that all
>> parties here would benefit?
>>> i am reasonably certain that Toshaan Bharvani would be
>>> prepared to do that although he would need to speak for
>>> himself.
>>
>> Yes, please, I am interested.
>> I would use it for PowerEL, LibreBMC and LibreSOC.
>> All open source projects.
>> Is this just a board or also a CPU?
>
> It is just the motherboard. :)
Ok, I will be getting a CPU very soon, so I should be able to use it.