[gentoo-user] distccmon-gui red bars finally solved

Bill Longman

Aug 16, 2011, 9:20:02 PM8/16/11
I wanted to share with others on the list something that I recently
discovered with distccmon-gui. I found that when I travel to work and to
home with my laptop, sometimes the distccmon-gui would be covered with
red specks when processing jobs on remote hosts. I saw that they were
always associated with the "connecting" phase but I could never figure
out what the problem was because the job would eventually compile there.
It turns out that the connecting phase is usually slowed down by the
name resolution of the host, so if one of the entries in my distcc/hosts
file just had a short name, instead of the FQDN for the host, it would
show up red during connect as it tried to resolve the hostname.

I don't know how many other folks might run into this, because, like I
say, I really only noticed it on my laptop which sometimes gets the
correct domain name (at home!) but not at other times, for a given host.

Once you fix those, the distcc works great.

HTH somebody else.

Bill

--
Bill Longman
Εν αρχη ην ὁ λογος

Michael Mol

Aug 17, 2011, 9:30:02 AM8/17/11

You might also adjust your resolver's searchlist, so that you can
still resolve short names on a different domain.

For example, I might add "slashdot.org" to my resolv.conf as a search
domain, and then I could point my browser to "http://yro" or
"http://linux" and land on yro.slashdot.org or linux.slashdot.org,
respectively.

Note that resolv.conf is typically rewritten by your DHCP client, so
any modifications you'd like to persist, you'll need to make in your
DHCP client's configuration. I believe the normal resolver only
supports up to three search domains, too, so if your network's DHCP
server is already pushing three search domains (the network where I
work should be pushing two right now, for example), the fourth in the
list will be ignored.

--
:wq