[gentoo-user] SystemD + Gnome 3.8 I can log in as root but not as normal user

Carlos Sura

Oct 1, 2013, 2:40:01 AM10/1/13
Hello Mates,

I finally thought that I got this working, so now I am dealing this issue:
I choose the latest kernel with systemd and GDM starts good, but I cannot log in to gnome as a normal user, I can only log in to gnome as root.

What I have done before this started:

emerge -uDvaN world
emerge --depclean --ask
emerge @preserved-rebuild

Then it just happened.

What I've tried so far:
- .xinitrc with exec gnome-session for user and root
-  emerge -1 $( qlist -IC x11-drivers/ )
- emerge @x11-module-rebuild
-  X -configure

Another note:
Starting gnome as normal user just hang, apparently it wants to start but it cannot start. Neither doing: startx.

I am using for xorg:
VIDEO_CARDS="intel vesa"

Any help?

Jochen Kirchner

Oct 1, 2013, 3:00:02 AM10/1/13

have you looked in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

And I think the GDM session log is in /home/*user*/.cache/gdm/session.log.

Regards,

Jochen

--
"There is only one god, and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'."

http://acidc0re.info

Carlos Sura

Oct 1, 2013, 3:10:01 AM10/1/13
Hello Jochen,

Thank you for your help.

Here is the Xorg log: http://tny.cz/69b4662a

Regarding the gdm session.log I don't have it. Here is the /var/log/gdm/:0.log : http://tny.cz/35e886e2

Here is my emerge --info: http://tny.cz/10262247

Carlos Sura

Oct 1, 2013, 3:10:01 AM10/1/13
In another note:

I've just installed enlightenment and it works fine. Gnome works fine ONLY as root, but not as normal user.

Jochen Kirchner

Oct 1, 2013, 4:30:02 AM10/1/13
hm, that's strange. Is your user in the video group?

And I don't think you need vesa in VIDEO_CARDS. intel should be sufficient.

Best Regards,

Walter Dnes

Oct 1, 2013, 4:40:02 AM10/1/13
On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 12:30:51AM -0600, Carlos Sura wrote
> Hello Mates,
>
> I finally thought that I got this working, so now I am dealing this issue:
> I choose the latest kernel with systemd and GDM starts good, but I cannot
> log in to gnome as a normal user, I can only log in to gnome as root.
>
> What I have done before this started:
>
> emerge -uDvaN world
> emerge --depclean --ask
> emerge @preserved-rebuild
>
> Then it just happened.
>
> What I've tried so far:
> - .xinitrc with exec gnome-session for user and root
> - emerge -1 $( qlist -IC x11-drivers/ )
> - emerge @x11-module-rebuild
> - X -configure
>

> Another note:
> Starting gnome as normal user just hang, apparently it wants to start but
> it cannot start. Neither doing: startx.

Can you temporarily rename your Gnome config file/directory on your
system, and see if it'll work with a fresh start?

Another option to try, just as a test only, is...

USE="suid" emerge -pv --update --changed-use world

Does that bring up anything related to Gnome?

--
Walter Dnes <walt...@waltdnes.org>

Canek Peláez Valdés

Oct 1, 2013, 8:50:02 AM10/1/13
Could you please boot up your machine, let GDM start, and then from a
console do "systemctl --all --full", and post here its output? Also,
can you try to do:

USE="systemd -consolekit policykit" emerge -uDNvp world

Does any package wants to be reemerged?

Lastly, does your kernel contains all the configuration options
required by systemd/udev?

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Shawn Wilson

Oct 1, 2013, 8:50:02 AM10/1/13
rm ~/.Xauthority

Carlos Sura

Oct 2, 2013, 8:40:01 PM10/2/13
This did not worked out:

USE="suid" emerge -pv --update --changed-use world

it did not showed anything to emerge.

Carlos Sura

Oct 5, 2013, 7:20:02 PM10/5/13

I do have -consolekit systemd policykit and yes, my kernel is properly configured.
To avoid playing around I did reinstalled it again! and guess what?
After installing gnome-tweak-tools and shell-extensions and use the tweak tools to do some changes, after reboot, again: blank screen trying to start gnome.

So, I unmerged the packages and did:
emerge @preserved-rebuild
revdep-rebuild
emerge -1 gnome

but seems not to work, again, I can log in as root, not as user.

Carlos Sura

Oct 5, 2013, 8:10:02 PM10/5/13
Update:

I was desperate trying to rebuild everything or reinstalling or whatever idea I had. So, my logic said: if root works why others users wont?, then I decided to create another user, and guess what? it worked.

So I removed my user and then created a new one and it worked.

Yeah this is fine and great that worked, but I would like to know: Why?

Thanks.

Michael Higgins

Oct 5, 2013, 9:10:02 PM10/5/13
Whenever I have trouble with gnome, the first thing I do is remove
any .gnome*-type folders in ~/.

My guess is that in some cases gnome saved data isn't compatible with
the new gnome configuration.

Cheers,

--
- -
- Michael Higgins -

Canek Peláez Valdés

Oct 5, 2013, 10:10:01 PM10/5/13
On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Carlos Sura <carlos...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Update:
>
> I was desperate trying to rebuild everything or reinstalling or whatever
> idea I had. So, my logic said: if root works why others users wont?, then I
> decided to create another user, and guess what? it worked.
>
> So I removed my user and then created a new one and it worked.
>
> Yeah this is fine and great that worked, but I would like to know: Why?

Please don't top-post.

When this kind of thing happens, remove $HOME/.config. In theory, that
should get you a clean slate.