[gentoo-user] Help with dracut, please

3 views
Skip to first unread message

Peter Humphrey

unread,
Oct 26, 2022, 10:30:04 AM10/26/22
to
Hello list,

I'm installing Gentoo on a new Juno laptop, and I've reached the point of
booting into the new system. I have a separate /usr partition and I'm using
dracut to create an initramfs.

On booting the new system I get an error I haven't heard of before: dracut
complaining "sysroot has no proper sysfs layout". I'm sure I've done something
stupid, but where do I start debugging this? Google hasn't helped.

--
Regards,
Peter.

Dale

unread,
Oct 26, 2022, 11:50:03 AM10/26/22
to
I tried to google that message and it found nothing.  That's not good. 
Makes me wonder what is causing that.  Made me think a bit. 

Have you double checked your fstab?  Maybe you missed updating a line,
missed commenting something out or a typo maybe?  Any strange kernel
options added to your bootloader?  Typo maybe?  Have you double checked
that the file systems you use for /boot and / are built into the kernel? 

Hopefully someone else will have more ideas but in the meantime, may
want to double check those.  Just to be sure. 

Hope that helps, or someone else has ideas.

Dale

:-)  :-) 

Michael

unread,
Oct 26, 2022, 12:01:21 PM10/26/22
to
On Wednesday, 26 October 2022 16:47:46 BST Dale wrote:
> Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I'm installing Gentoo on a new Juno laptop, and I've reached the point of
> > booting into the new system. I have a separate /usr partition and I'm
> > using
> > dracut to create an initramfs.
> >
> > On booting the new system I get an error I haven't heard of before: dracut
> > complaining "sysroot has no proper sysfs layout". I'm sure I've done
> > something stupid, but where do I start debugging this? Google hasn't
> > helped.
> I tried to google that message and it found nothing. That's not good.
> Makes me wonder what is causing that. Made me think a bit.
>
> Have you double checked your fstab? Maybe you missed updating a line,
> missed commenting something out or a typo maybe? Any strange kernel
> options added to your bootloader? Typo maybe? Have you double checked
> that the file systems you use for /boot and / are built into the kernel?

^^This^^

Otherwise it may be some corrupt fs, in which case fsck could help.


signature.asc

Neil Bothwick

unread,
Oct 26, 2022, 1:21:32 PM10/26/22
to
On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 15:22:42 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> On booting the new system I get an error I haven't heard of before:
> dracut complaining "sysroot has no proper sysfs layout". I'm sure I've
> done something stupid, but where do I start debugging this? Google
> hasn't helped.

Is CONFIG_SYSFS=y set in your kernel?


--
Neil Bothwick

Bumper Sticker: If you can read this, you are in phaser range.

Peter Humphrey

unread,
Oct 27, 2022, 4:00:04 AM10/27/22
to
On Wednesday, 26 October 2022 16:46:07 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2022 15:22:42 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On booting the new system I get an error I haven't heard of before:
> > dracut complaining "sysroot has no proper sysfs layout". I'm sure I've
> > done something stupid, but where do I start debugging this? Google
> > hasn't helped.
>
> Is CONFIG_SYSFS=y set in your kernel?

Yes. I don't see it in menuconfig, but a search for it says it's set by a
boolean expression that evaluates to TRUE.

--
Regards,
Peter.

Peter Humphrey

unread,
Oct 27, 2022, 6:10:04 AM10/27/22
to
I was right the first time: it was something I'd done - a typo in /boot/loader/
entries/<entry>. (My eyes just get worse all the time. That's my excuse and
I'm sticking to it.)

Now, though, the system gets as far as populating /dev and hangs. So, back to
SysRescCD and check that devfs is selected, and it is. I'll go through the
kernel config yet again and see what I may have missed.

--
Regards,
Peter.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages