[gentoo-user] Any one with experience using getmail with postfix?

William Kenworthy

Nov 25, 2022, 7:00:04 AM11/25/22
Hi,

    I am looking into replacing fetchmail with getmail on my mail
gateway system (I want to use getmails per instance IDLE parameter).
The docs say that it can work with postfix, however suitable examples
and information is lacking.  Currently fetchmail is delivering multiple
accounts via port localhost:10026 to postfix.  But I cant figure out how
to get getmail to deliver mail to localhost:10026 like fetchmail can.
This looks like a common use, but I cant see how to do it.

Existing postfix/master.cf: working with fetchmail

127.0.0.1:10026 inet n        -       n     -       -  smtpd
  -o syslog_name=postfix-fetchmail

getmail: this doesnt work

[destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
arguments = ("-i", "-bm", "valid...@127.0.0.1:10026")
unixfrom = true

Delivery to an mbox directory works fine, and the mail system itself
including postfix has been working for years (with regular updates.).

BillK

Wols Lists

Nov 25, 2022, 7:40:04 AM11/25/22
On 25/11/2022 11:56, William Kenworthy wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I am looking into replacing fetchmail with getmail on my mail
> gateway system

Are you using getmail, or getmail6?

https://pyropus.ca./software/getmail/documentation.html#python3

A quick "emerge --search getmail" shows that gentoo is distributing
getmail6 under getmail's name - they are two completely different
programs. I guess somebody should file a bug to get THAT fixed.

The tldr is that the maintainer of getmail has not migrated to Python3 -
time is hard to find. getmail6 is a fork where somebody has fed it
through 2to3 and not bugfixed it (properly). In other words, whether you
choose getmail or getmail6, you have a problem.

Made worse by the fact that many people - distros included! - don't
realise that getmail and getmail6 are completely different entities.

Cheers,
Wol

William Kenworthy

Nov 25, 2022, 8:10:04 AM11/25/22
I dont think it makes a difference - for my purposes it looks and works
exactly like getmail, but uses python3.  I guess what I need is an MTA
that takes input on stdin, and outputs to a host:port

William Kenworthy

Nov 25, 2022, 10:10:04 AM11/25/22
The solution was to use sendEmail (its in portage) as below:

[destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/bin/sendEmail
arguments = ("-f", "%(sender)", "-t", "my_val...@mail.server", "-s",
"localhost:10026", "-o", "tls=no", "-o", "message-format=raw")
unixfrom = true
user = my_valid_user
group = my_valid_group