[gentoo-dev] February 2014 QA policy updates

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Chris Reffett

unread,
Feb 19, 2014, 5:10:01 PM2/19/14
to
Hello all,
The following are the policy changes from this month's QA team meeting:

-USE=multislot (and other USE-dependent SLOT values) need to be removed
from the tree. Toolchain can keep it in an overlay if they want. We
would consider it acceptable to remove USE=multislot from the tree but
keep the eclasses as-is, so that toolchain doesn't need to maintain multiple
eclasses. This does not affect sys-boot/grub's USE=multislot, as that
does not mangle the SLOT value like the others (as I understand it).

-Regarding the gtk/gtk2/gtk3 USE flag situation: we mandate that gtk
move to versioned USE flags. For simplicity of migration, we will allow
USE=gtk to mean "depend on gtk2," since there are only a few USE=gtk2
remaining in tree. USE=gtk3 will mean "depend on gtk3," and in the
future, USE=gtk4 will mean "depend on gtk4," and so on. USE=gtk may
not be used to mean "depend on some version of gtk."

-More generally: we recommend that in future situations like this (a package
can optionally depend on different versions of a library), we recommend the
use of versioned USE flags. It should be discussed with the QA team either
way.

Also, on a non-policy note, we recommend that the Council deprecate
EAPIs 0 and 3 (0 pending discussion with toolchain) and ban EAPI 1. As
always, if you have questions, feel free to ping us in #gentoo-qa. The meeting
summary and these policies will be available on the Quality Assurance page
on the Gentoo Wiki tonight or tomorrow.

Chris Reffett
Gentoo QA Lead

Gilles Dartiguelongue

unread,
Feb 20, 2014, 2:00:01 PM2/20/14
to
Le 19 févr. 2014 à 23:07, Chris Reffett <cref...@gentoo.org> a écrit :

> Hello all,
> The following are the policy changes from this month's QA team meeting:
[…]
> -Regarding the gtk/gtk2/gtk3 USE flag situation: we mandate that gtk
> move to versioned USE flags. For simplicity of migration, we will allow
> USE=gtk to mean "depend on gtk2," since there are only a few USE=gtk2
> remaining in tree. USE=gtk3 will mean "depend on gtk3," and in the
> future, USE=gtk4 will mean "depend on gtk4," and so on. USE=gtk may
> not be used to mean "depend on some version of gtk."
>
> -More generally: we recommend that in future situations like this (a package
> can optionally depend on different versions of a library), we recommend the
> use of versioned USE flags. It should be discussed with the QA team either
> way.
>
[…]
> Chris Reffett
> Gentoo QA Lead

I feel this policy is even less precise than what we had written in our wiki page and will in fact bring more confusion.
Can we actually get together in the writing of this, I feel a bit unhappy about the process.

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <e...@gentoo.org>

Michał Górny

unread,
Feb 20, 2014, 2:10:02 PM2/20/14
to
Dnia 2014-02-19, o godz. 17:07:26
Chris Reffett <cref...@gentoo.org> napisał(a):

> -Regarding the gtk/gtk2/gtk3 USE flag situation: we mandate that gtk
> move to versioned USE flags. For simplicity of migration, we will allow
> USE=gtk to mean "depend on gtk2," since there are only a few USE=gtk2
> remaining in tree. USE=gtk3 will mean "depend on gtk3," and in the
> future, USE=gtk4 will mean "depend on gtk4," and so on. USE=gtk may
> not be used to mean "depend on some version of gtk."

I don't want to add fuel to the fire but I'd like to note that
the Council is likely going to vote on the issue [1]. Just in case some
people didn't notice, and in hope that at least some of the extra
bikeshed could be avoided.

[1]:http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/3319

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny
signature.asc

Mike Gilbert

unread,
Feb 20, 2014, 4:50:02 PM2/20/14
to
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Chris Reffett <cref...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> This does not affect sys-boot/grub's USE=multislot, as that
> does not mangle the SLOT value like the others (as I understand it).

Right. USE=multislot on grub just toggles the renaming of the grub-foo
commands to grub2-foo, in case someone (like me) prefers the upstream
naming convention. There is also a conditional blocker on
sys-boot/grub:0. The SLOT value is always '2'.

I would be happy to rename the use flag if anyone else has a better name for it.

Alex Xu

unread,
Feb 20, 2014, 7:40:02 PM2/20/14
to
All other packages use it to mean "make multiple versions in a single
SLOT installable".

I think "vanilla" should be used, or possibly a different local USE
flag, like "grub2-bins". The argument of wanting this globally is not
valid, since multislot should not be set globally either.

signature.asc
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages