[gentoo-dev] Last rites: app-admin/gkrellm & plugins

Michał Górny

Jan 27, 2023, 12:40:03 PM1/27/23
# Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> (2023-01-27)
# GKrellM and a variety of plugins.  It's unmaintained for some time.
# Upstream homepage is gone, and the whole suite is collecting dust
# and patches.
# Removal on 2023-02-26.  Bug #892251.

[also eclass/gkrellm-plugin.eclass]

acct-group/gkrellmd
acct-user/gkrellmd
app-admin/gkrellm
app-laptop/ibam
media-plugins/gkrellmpc
x11-plugins/bfm
x11-plugins/gkrellaclock
x11-plugins/gkrellfire
x11-plugins/gkrellkam
x11-plugins/gkrellm-bgchanger
x11-plugins/gkrellm-bluez
x11-plugins/gkrellm-countdown
x11-plugins/gkrellm-cpupower
x11-plugins/gkrellm-imonc
x11-plugins/gkrellmlaunch
x11-plugins/gkrellm-leds
x11-plugins/gkrellm-mailwatch
x11-plugins/gkrellmoon
x11-plugins/gkrellm-plugins
x11-plugins/gkrellm-radio
x11-plugins/gkrellmss
x11-plugins/gkrellm-trayicons
x11-plugins/gkrellm-vaiobright
x11-plugins/gkrellm-volume
x11-plugins/gkrellmwireless
x11-plugins/gkrellm-xkb
x11-plugins/gkrellshoot
x11-plugins/gkrellstock
x11-plugins/gkrellsun
x11-plugins/gkrelltop
x11-plugins/gkrellweather
x11-plugins/gkwebmon
x11-plugins/i8krellm
x11-themes/gkrellm-themes

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Philip Webb

Jan 27, 2023, 1:00:04 PM1/27/23
230127 Michał Górny wrote:
> # GKrellM and a variety of plugins.  It's unmaintained for some time.
> # Upstream homepage is gone, and the whole suite is collecting dust
> # and patches.
> # Removal on 2023-02-26.  Bug #892251.
> acct-group/gkrellmd
> acct-user/gkrellmd
> app-admin/gkrellm
> app-laptop/ibam
> media-plugins/gkrellmpc
> x11-plugins/bfm

> x11-themes/gkrellm-themes

Is there a recommended alternative ?
I've got used to having it in the corner of a desktop
& checking it regularly for various info for many years.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Michał Górny

Jan 27, 2023, 2:30:03 PM1/27/23
On Fri, 2023-01-27 at 10:51 -0800, A Schenck wrote:
> On 1/27/23 09:36, Michał Górny wrote:
> > # Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> (2023-01-27)
> > # GKrellM and a variety of plugins.  It's unmaintained for some
> > time.
> > # Upstream homepage is gone, and the whole suite is collecting dust
> > # and patches.
> > # Removal on 2023-02-26.  Bug #892251.
> >
> > [also eclass/gkrellm-plugin.eclass]
> >
> > app-admin/gkrellm
> > x11-plugins/gkrelltop
>
> The old homepage listed in the ebuild is gone but has moved[0].
>
> The live ebuild has the correct upstream repository so it seems like
>
> just an oversight to not update the homepage whenever that was
>
> changed.

Thanks. Unfortunately, it only confirms what I've suspected: it's not
maintained and nobody's working on a GTK+3 port [1].

[1] https://git.srcbox.net/gkrellm/gkrellm/issues/1

Michal Prívozník

Jan 27, 2023, 3:20:03 PM1/27/23
Yes, sadly, Bill passed away more than a year ago:

https://mailproc.sbbsnet.net/list/gkr...@lists.netservicesgroup.com?cmd=user_listview_msg&domainid=40&list=gkrellm&msg_idx=28

But are you saying that if there was a GTK-3 support, then gkrellm could
stay?

Michal

Sam James

Jan 27, 2023, 9:20:03 PM1/27/23
Yes. And ideally a maintainer in Gentoo.

signature.asc

Michał Górny

Jan 28, 2023, 2:00:04 AM1/28/23
On Fri, 2023-01-27 at 21:15 +0100, Michal Prívozník wrote:
> But are you saying that if there was a GTK-3 support, then gkrellm could
> stay?

Most importantly, it needs someone to take care of it.

An active Gentoo maintainer for these packages (or the subset that's
going to stay), that actually answers bug reports etc. is an absolute
must.

GTK+3 port would be nice — it would at least prove that people really
care enough to do the hard work, and that we won't be removing it soon
enough again because of GTK+2 being removed (not likely anytime soon
but…) or because the code no longer compiles, or…

Philip Webb

Jan 28, 2023, 2:30:04 PM1/28/23
[ This has been posted on Gentoo User,
but in case it hasn't been seen by discussants at Gentoo Dev, here it is.
It seems clear upstream isn't dead, simply quiet ]

On 1/28/23 05:35, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> I'm actually the one who first heard that the original maintainer had died.
> I had written to him about some support issue, and got a belated reply
> from his brother.  Upstream is not dead at all,
> the activity level is just fairly low.
> I tried to post to -dev, but my message never got through,
> not sure if it's because I'm not a dev or made some other error in sending.
> The homepage is at htttps://gkrellm.srcbox.net
> with source at https://git.srcbox.net/gkrellm/gkrellm.

> The main problem is that is still uses gtk+2.
> They do have an open issue about that,
> but most of the discussion has been on why it would be so hard to upgrade.
> There is apparently a lot of fairly low-level graphics stuff going on
> and Bill himself (the original maintainer)
> said something like the conversion to gkt+3 would be difficult,
> but to go to gtk+4 would essentially be a re-write.
> Jack

Duncan

Jan 30, 2023, 5:40:04 AM1/30/23
Philip Webb posted on Fri, 27 Jan 2023 12:58:43 -0500 as excerpted:

> 230127 Michał Górny wrote:
>> # GKrellM and a variety of plugins.

>> # Removal on 2023-02-26.  Bug #892251.
>> app-admin/gkrellm
[and plugins, etc.]

> Is there a recommended alternative ?

app-admin/conky

It's currently gtk3, but at least with lua-cairo enabled, X-only.
However, upstream is alive and wayland-native support is apparently in the
works (tho it has been some months since I last checked status), so
doesn't appear to be death-bed either.

I use it here, altho I wasn't satisfied with built-in only so learned lua
(designed for embedding, exactly what conky uses it for) and wrote my own
conky lua themes. Seems extensibility is mandatory for flexibility
(handling decent detail at readable size without going fullscreen) for
this sort of app, and I've learned the extensibility language of more than
one such app (RIP superkaramba!) as they've gone dead over the years, but
with conky alive and working on wayland-native support, hopefully it'll
stick around for awhile.

Meanwhile, email me privately if you're interested in a lua-based conky
theme that can handle for example per-thread user/nice/system/freq
(extensible to steal... if you're doing VMs) at "readble but not entire
screen" sizes with AMD's 64-core/128-thread threadripper in mind (tho I'm
still on an old 6-thread ATM so expanding that big likely has bugs to work
out), or just for general conky discussion/questions, if you want.