arp.c

Santjago

Oct 14, 2003, 2:06:38 PM10/14/03
hi..
i'm italian boy...sorry for my english...
i'm studing the module arp.c of kernel linux 2.4.8 and i have a question.
the kernel linux don't accept unsolicited Arp by default unless
CONFIG_IP_ACCEPT_UNSOLICITED_ARP is defined.
My kernel linux of Mandrake 8.1 accept unsolicited Arp, but i don't find
where, in the kernel source, CONFIG_IP_ACCEPT_UNSOLICITED_ARP is defined.
May you help me?
thanks

#ifdef CONFIG_IP_ACCEPT_UNSOLICITED_ARP
808 /* Unsolicited ARP is not accepted by default.
809 It is possible, that this option should be enabled for some
810 devices (strip is candidate)
811 */
812 if (n == NULL &&
813 arp->ar_op == htons(ARPOP_REPLY) &&
814 inet_addr_type(sip) == RTN_UNICAST)
815 n = __neigh_lookup(&arp_tbl, &sip, dev, -1);
816 #endif

Przemek Czerkas

Oct 14, 2003, 3:19:11 PM10/14/03
Santjago wrote:

what I've found is:

"Newsgroups: mlist.linux.kernel
From: kuz...@ms2.inr.ac.ru
Subject: Re: question about CONFIG_IP_ACCEPT_UNSOLICITED_ARP
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 21:36:20 +0400 (MSD)

Hello!

> I was looking at the arp code and noticed the
CONFIG_IP_ACCEPT_UNSOLICITED_ARP
> option.
>
> I'm a bit confused, however, since there is no way to enable this option
without
> specifying it on the command line. Is this by intent? It seems to have
been
> added back in 1998 in a patch by Thomas Koenig.

#ifdef was added by me. At the moment it is not a configuration option,
but rather comment. The code is not to be enabled.

Alexey"

--
Pozdr. Przemek

$cd /pub If you want a Microsoft product that doesn't suck,
$more beer wait for the day they make vacuum cleaners.