need help with xorg.conf

Paul E Condon

Mar 12, 2010, 1:50:01 AM3/12/10
I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
I switch to Squeeze.

In particular:

The screen is 1366x768 according to the user manual that came with it.
Under Lenny, X chooses to run it at 1280x768 which is OK, but
Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be
circle into broad elipses. And wastes a lot of the resolution on
over-size characters.

I would like to try composing some configuration lines and inserting
them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure.

Some quidance would be greatly appreciated.

--
Paul E Condon
peco...@mesanetworks.net

Ron Johnson

Mar 12, 2010, 2:30:02 AM3/12/10
On 2010-03-12 00:42, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
> nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
> I switch to Squeeze.
>
> In particular:
>
> The screen is 1366x768 according to the user manual that came with it.
> Under Lenny, X chooses to run it at 1280x768 which is OK, but
> Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be
> circle into broad elipses. And wastes a lot of the resolution on
> over-size characters.
>
> I would like to try composing some configuration lines and inserting
> them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure.
>
> Some quidance would be greatly appreciated.

Move away your existing xorg.conf and then try again. Log in as a
separate user and see what happens.

When moving from a 1280x1024 monitor to one that's 1980x1024, I got
really really concerned because the new monitor only functioned at
1280x1024. Then I logged in as root, and it was 1980x1024. Very
puzzling!

Finally, I thought to peek in the Control Panel, and saw that the
Display (or whatever GNOME calls it) -- for *myself* -- was set to
1280x1024. Two seconds later, I'm at 1980x1024.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4B99EBFF...@cox.net

Andrew M.A. Cater

Mar 12, 2010, 3:00:03 AM3/12/10
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:42:16PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
> nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
> I switch to Squeeze.
>
> In particular:
>
> The screen is 1366x768 according to the user manual that came with it.
> Under Lenny, X chooses to run it at 1280x768 which is OK, but
> Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be
> circle into broad elipses. And wastes a lot of the resolution on
> over-size characters.
>
> I would like to try composing some configuration lines and inserting
> them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure.
>
> Some quidance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Paul E Condon
> peco...@mesanetworks.net

Switch to a text mode virtual terminal (away from X) e.g. Alt-F1

Login as / become root with sudo

killall kdm / gdm (killing your running X session).

Run

X -configure

This will endeavour to force the X configuration programs to do a best
guess as to your hardware and dump an xorg.conf.new in your home
directory as the root user.

If you run the command given

'X -config /root/xorg.conf.new'

and get the familiar grey background and X shaped cursor (bare X, no
window manager) it's working.

At that point you can copy the xorg.conf.new file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and carry on / use it as a basis for your own customisation.

All the best,

AndyC

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20100312075...@galactic.demon.co.uk

daniele

Mar 12, 2010, 4:40:02 AM3/12/10
On 03/12/10 07:42, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
> nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
> I switch to Squeeze.
>
> In particular:
>
> The screen is 1366x768 according to the user manual that came with it.
> Under Lenny, X chooses to run it at 1280x768 which is OK, but
> Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be
> circle into broad elipses. And wastes a lot of the resolution on
> over-size characters.
>
> I would like to try composing some configuration lines and inserting
> them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure.
>
> Some quidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Paul,

As of my experience the automatic configuration did not work so I
manually configured the resolution following these steps (----NOTEs :
change the values to suit your hardware and be sure the video card
supports the resolution and try to also follow xorg.conf man page ---)

1 - I found the suggested monitor resolution (1920x1080@60Hz) in the
User Manual

2 - I used the "gtf" utility to calculate a vesa compliant ModeLine,
running at the command prompt the following:

gtf 1920 1080 60

3 - I Inserted in xorg.conf (section Monitor) the ModeLine that I got in
step 2 (naming it "1920x1080_60.00")

4 - I set up VertRefresh e HorizSync (section Monitor) according to the
monitor specs

5 - I inserted in xorg.conf (section Screen, subsection Display) in the
Modes option listing the already found "1920x1080_60.00" ModeLine

cheers

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/BLU0-SMTP33C1066E4...@phx.gbl

Camaleón

Mar 12, 2010, 5:00:02 AM3/12/10
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:42:16 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:

(...)

> The screen is 1366x768 according to the user manual that came with it.
> Under Lenny, X chooses to run it at 1280x768 which is OK, but Under
> Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be circle
> into broad elipses. And wastes a lot of the resolution on over-size
> characters.
>
> I would like to try composing some configuration lines and inserting
> them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure.

I would try first to get the recommended resolution (1366x768@60) by
using "xrandr" on-the-fly to test things:

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

Once accomplished that, you can go on with another fancy settings on
xorg.conf file.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.03...@gmail.com

Ron Johnson

Mar 12, 2010, 5:10:02 AM3/12/10

What monitor, video card, video driver and x.org version do you use?

"This" auto-configured perfectly:
- Hanns-G HH251
- Nvidia 7300SE
- nividia v190.42 blob
- every Sid x.org since Nov-2009

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4B9A11C7...@cox.net

Brad Rogers

Mar 12, 2010, 8:10:01 AM3/12/10
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:54:49 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Camaleón,

> I would try first to get the recommended resolution (1366x768@60) by
> using "xrandr" on-the-fly to test things:

IM(admittedly limted)E, if X doesn't get the resolution right, xrandr
won't be able to detect it any better.

Here, X runs at 1280x1024, but the monitor is capable of 1680x1050

xrandr outputs;

Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1280x1024 0.0*
1024x768 0.0
800x600 0.0
640x480 0.0

Note the maximum is incorrect. In fact, doing "X -configure" resulted
in errors, so I've got to write an xorg.conf file to sort the issue out.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

You're the psychotic daughter of a psychotic mother
Pure Mania - The Vibrators

signature.asc

Camaleón

Mar 12, 2010, 9:20:01 AM3/12/10
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:35:16 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:54:49 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:
>
> Hello Camaleón,
>
>> I would try first to get the recommended resolution (1366x768@60) by
>> using "xrandr" on-the-fly to test things:
>
> IM(admittedly limted)E, if X doesn't get the resolution right, xrandr
> won't be able to detect it any better.

To be sincere, nowadays that X in "dinamically" setup, I'm not sure.

I had previous experiences with xorg configuration that couldn't properly
detect the display resolution but just by forcing it (writing up in
xorg.conf file) it just worked :-?

> Here, X runs at 1280x1024, but the monitor is capable of 1680x1050

Also, using a digital output -DVI instead VGA- (if available) can help X
to detect the screen size and adjust it accordingly.

> xrandr outputs;
>
> Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
> default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> 1280x1024 0.0*
> 1024x768 0.0
> 800x600 0.0
> 640x480 0.0
>
> Note the maximum is incorrect. In fact, doing "X -configure" resulted in
> errors, so I've got to write an xorg.conf file to sort the issue out.

Another thing to look into is the driver in use. Different drivers
deliver different results. Yes, I know that not everyone likes using
closed drivers but is just another option to test.

Stephen Powell

Mar 12, 2010, 9:30:02 AM3/12/10
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 01:42:16 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:

> I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
> nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
> I switch to Squeeze.
>
> In particular:
>
> The screen is 1366x768 according to the user manual that came with it.
> Under Lenny, X chooses to run it at 1280x768 which is OK, but
> Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be
> circle into broad elipses. And wastes a lot of the resolution on
> over-size characters.
>
> I would like to try composing some configuration lines and inserting
> them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure.
>
> Some quidance would be greatly appreciated.

Paul, please provide the following information:

(1) Make and model of your computer
(2) Make and model of your video card
(3) Make and model of your monitor
(4) Your existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
(5) The contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlin...@wowway.com>
: :' :

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/25097827.186151012684...@md01.wow.synacor.com

Paul E Condon

Mar 12, 2010, 11:00:02 AM3/12/10
On 20100312_092355, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 01:42:16 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:
> >
> > I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
> > nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
> > I switch to Squeeze.
> >
> > In particular:
> >
> > The screen is 1366x768 according to the user manual that came with it.
> > Under Lenny, X chooses to run it at 1280x768 which is OK, but
> > Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be
> > circle into broad elipses. And wastes a lot of the resolution on
> > over-size characters.
> >
> > I would like to try composing some configuration lines and inserting
> > them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure.
> >
> > Some quidance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Paul, please provide the following information:
>
> (1) Make and model of your computer
Compaq Presario S3200NX (sn MX31028632)

> (2) Make and model of your video card
integrated graphics on mother board

> (3) Make and model of your monitor
Acer X163W

> (4) Your existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
there is no such file. this is a new install done yesterday
and I have not yet attempted any hacking

> (5) The contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log
There follows 858 lines of the above named file:
X.Org X Server 1.7.5
Release Date: 2010-02-16
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.32-trunk-686 i686 Debian
Current Operating System: Linux cmpq 2.6.32-trunk-686 #1 SMP Sun Jan 10 06:32:16 UTC 2010 i686
Kernel command line: root=UUID=5a02e986-8aa3-4790-aa3f-41f7f565533f ro quiet
Build Date: 16 February 2010 08:37:23AM
xorg-server 2:1.7.5-1 (bgo...@debian.org)
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Mar 12 08:23:27 2010
(II) Loader magic: 0x81e7020
(II) Module ABI versions:
X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
X.Org Video Driver: 6.0
X.Org XInput driver : 7.0
X.Org Server Extension : 2.0
(++) using VT number 7

(--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 5333:8d04:1462:3908 S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] rev 0, Mem @ 0xe1000000/524288, 0xd8000000/134217728, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536
(==) Using default built-in configuration (30 lines)
(==) --- Start of built-in configuration ---
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default savage Device 0"
Driver "savage"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default savage Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default savage Device 0"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
Driver "fbdev"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Builtin Default Layout"
Screen "Builtin Default savage Screen 0"
Screen "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
Screen "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
EndSection
(==) --- End of built-in configuration ---
(==) ServerLayout "Builtin Default Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default savage Screen 0" (0)
(**) | |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
(**) | |-->Device "Builtin Default savage Device 0"
(==) No monitor specified for screen "Builtin Default savage Screen 0".
Using a default monitor configuration.
(**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0" (1)
(**) | |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
(**) | |-->Device "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
(==) No monitor specified for screen "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0".
Using a default monitor configuration.
(**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0" (2)
(**) | |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
(**) | |-->Device "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
(==) No monitor specified for screen "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0".
Using a default monitor configuration.
(==) Automatically adding devices
(==) Automatically enabling devices
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
Entry deleted from font path.
(==) FontPath set to:
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,
built-ins
(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
(II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
(II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
(II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
(II) LoadModule: "extmod"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
(II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension SELinux
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
(II) Loading extension X-Resource
(II) LoadModule: "dbe"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
(II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(==) AIGLX enabled
(II) Loading extension GLX
(II) LoadModule: "record"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/librecord.so
(II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension RECORD
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
(II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension DRI2
(II) LoadModule: "savage"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/savage_drv.so
(II) Module savage: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.7.3.902, module version = 2.3.1
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) LoadModule: "vesa"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
(II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
(II) Module fbdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.7.3.902, module version = 0.4.1
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) SAVAGE: driver (version 2.3.1) for S3 Savage chipsets: Savage4,
Savage3D, Savage3D-MV, Savage2000, Savage/MX-MV, Savage/MX,
Savage/IX-MV, Savage/IX, ProSavage PM133, ProSavage KM133,
Twister PN133, Twister KN133, SuperSavage/MX 128, SuperSavage/MX 64,
SuperSavage/MX 64C, SuperSavage/IX 128, SuperSavage/IX 128,
SuperSavage/IX 64, SuperSavage/IX 64, SuperSavage/IXC 64,
SuperSavage/IXC 64, ProSavage DDR, ProSavage DDR-K
(II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
(II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
(II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
(II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.so
(II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
(II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
(II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libvgahw.so
(II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) SAVAGE(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
"Builtin Default savage Screen 0" for depth/fbbpp 16/16
(==) SAVAGE(0): Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
(==) SAVAGE(0): RGB weight 565
(==) SAVAGE(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(II) SAVAGE(0): vgaHWGetIOBase: hwp->IOBase is 0x03d0, hwp->PIOOffset is 0x0000
(==) SAVAGE(0): Using XAA acceleration architecture
(==) SAVAGE(0): Using HW cursor
(==) SAVAGE(0): Using video BIOS to set modes
(II) Loading sub module "vbe"
(II) LoadModule: "vbe"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libvbe.so
(II) Module vbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) Loading sub module "int10"
(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
(II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) SAVAGE(0): initializing int10
(II) SAVAGE(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA BIOS detected
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 31680 kB
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM: S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR Family BIOS
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 2.0
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: S3 Garphics Incorporated.
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: VBE 3.0
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: Rev 0.0
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chip: id 8d04, "ProSavage DDR-K"
(--) SAVAGE(0): Engine: "ProSavageDDR"
(--) SAVAGE(0): AGP card detected
(==) SAVAGE(0): Using AGP DMA
(==) SAVAGE(0): Will try command and vertex DMA mode
(==) SAVAGE(0): Using AGP 1x mode
(==) SAVAGE(0): Using 16 MB AGP aperture
(==) SAVAGE(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(--) SAVAGE(0): probed videoram: 32768k
(II) Loading sub module "ddc"
(II) LoadModule: "ddc"
(II) Module "ddc" already built-in
(--) SAVAGE(0): No DDC signal
(II) Loading sub module "i2c"
(II) LoadModule: "i2c"
(II) Module "i2c" already built-in
(II) SAVAGE(0): I2C bus "I2C bus" initialized.
(II) SAVAGE(0): I2C device "I2C bus:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
(II) SAVAGE(0): I2C device "I2C bus:DDC control interface" registered at address 0x6E.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Manufacturer: ACR Model: 15 Serial#: 2441181409
(II) SAVAGE(0): Year: 2009 Week: 18
(II) SAVAGE(0): EDID Version: 1.3
(II) SAVAGE(0): Analog Display Input, Input Voltage Level: 0.700/0.700 V
(II) SAVAGE(0): Sync: Separate
(II) SAVAGE(0): Max Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 34 vert.: 19
(II) SAVAGE(0): Gamma: 2.20
(II) SAVAGE(0): DPMS capabilities: Off; RGB/Color Display
(II) SAVAGE(0): Default color space is primary color space
(II) SAVAGE(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
(II) SAVAGE(0): redX: 0.637 redY: 0.333 greenX: 0.284 greenY: 0.596
(II) SAVAGE(0): blueX: 0.154 blueY: 0.083 whiteX: 0.313 whiteY: 0.329
(II) SAVAGE(0): Supported established timings:
(II) SAVAGE(0): 720x400@70Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): 640x480@60Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): 640x480@67Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): 640x480@72Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): 640x480@75Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): 800x600@56Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): 800x600@60Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): 800x600@72Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): 800x600@75Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): 832x624@75Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): 1024x768@60Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): 1024x768@70Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): 1024x768@75Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
(II) SAVAGE(0): Supported standard timings:
(II) SAVAGE(0): #0: hsize: 1280 vsize 720 refresh: 60 vid: 49281
(II) SAVAGE(0): Supported detailed timing:
(II) SAVAGE(0): clock: 85.5 MHz Image Size: 344 x 193 mm
(II) SAVAGE(0): h_active: 1366 h_sync: 1435 h_sync_end 1578 h_blank_end 1790 h_border: 0
(II) SAVAGE(0): v_active: 768 v_sync: 771 v_sync_end 781 v_blanking: 798 v_border: 0
(II) SAVAGE(0): Ranges: V min: 50 V max: 75 Hz, H min: 30 H max: 80 kHz, PixClock max 160 MHz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Monitor name: Acer X163W
(II) SAVAGE(0): Serial No: LBF080014210
(II) SAVAGE(0): EDID (in hex):
(II) SAVAGE(0): 00ffffffffffff0004721500e1788191
(II) SAVAGE(0): 12130103682213782e1e95a355489827
(II) SAVAGE(0): 155054bfee0081c00101010101010101
(II) SAVAGE(0): 010101010101662156a851001e30458f
(II) SAVAGE(0): 3a0058c11000001c000000fd00324b1e
(II) SAVAGE(0): 5010000a202020202020000000fc0041
(II) SAVAGE(0): 6365722058313633570a2020000000ff
(II) SAVAGE(0): 004c42463038303031343231300a003d
(II) SAVAGE(0): EDID vendor "ACR", prod id 21
(II) SAVAGE(0): Using EDID range info for horizontal sync
(II) SAVAGE(0): Using EDID range info for vertical refresh
(II) SAVAGE(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1366x768"x0.0 85.50 1366 1435 1578 1790 768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync (47.8 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 36.00 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync (35.2 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 31.50 640 664 704 832 480 489 492 520 -hsync -vsync (37.9 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 30.24 640 704 768 864 480 483 486 525 -hsync -vsync (35.0 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 25.18 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "720x400"x0.0 28.32 720 738 846 900 400 412 414 449 -hsync +vsync (31.5 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 75.00 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (56.5 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "832x624"x0.0 57.28 832 864 928 1152 624 625 628 667 -hsync -vsync (49.7 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 49.50 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 50.00 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 +hsync +vsync (48.1 kHz)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1280x720"x60.0 74.48 1280 1336 1472 1664 720 721 724 746 -hsync +vsync (44.8 kHz)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Detected current MCLK value of 14.318 MHz
(--) SAVAGE(0): 4096x1436 TFT LCD panel detected but not active
(--) SAVAGE(0): Found 13 modes at this depth:
[10e] 320 x 200, 70Hz
[133] 320 x 240, 72Hz
[143] 400 x 300, 72Hz
[153] 512 x 384, 70Hz
[11d] 640 x 400, 70Hz
[111] 640 x 480, 60Hz, 75Hz, 85Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz
[114] 800 x 600, 60Hz, 75Hz, 85Hz
[117] 1024 x 768, 60Hz, 70Hz, 75Hz, 85Hz, 100Hz, 130Hz
[17a] 1280 x 768, 60Hz
[14f] 1280 x 960, 60Hz, 85Hz
[11a] 1280 x 1024, 60Hz, 75Hz, 85Hz, 100Hz
[13c] 1400 x 1050, 60Hz, 75Hz
[122] 1600 x 1200, 60Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): <default monitor>: Using hsync range of 30.00-80.00 kHz
(II) SAVAGE(0): <default monitor>: Using vrefresh range of 50.00-75.00 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): <default monitor>: Using maximum pixel clock of 160.00 MHz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Estimated virtual size for aspect ratio 1.7895 is 1366x768
(II) SAVAGE(0): Clock range: 10.00 to 250.00 MHz
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 640x350 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "640x350" (no mode of this name)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 320x175 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "320x175" (no mode of this name)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 11d at 70Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "640x400" (vrefresh out of range)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 10e at 70Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "320x200" (vrefresh out of range)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 720x400 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "720x400" (no mode of this name)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 360x200 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "360x200" (no mode of this name)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 111 at 60Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 133 at 72Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 111 at 75Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 133 at 72Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 111 at 75Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 133 at 72Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 111 at 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "640x480" (vrefresh out of range)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 133 at 72Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "320x240" (vrefresh out of range)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 60Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 143 at 72Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 60Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 143 at 72Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 75Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 143 at 72Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 75Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 143 at 72Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "800x600" (vrefresh out of range)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 143 at 72Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "400x300" (vrefresh out of range)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 117 at 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (vrefresh out of range)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 153 at 70Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "512x384" (vrefresh out of range)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 117 at 60Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 153 at 70Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 117 at 70Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 153 at 70Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 117 at 75Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 153 at 70Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 117 at 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (vrefresh out of range)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 153 at 70Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "512x384" (vrefresh out of range)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1152x864" (height too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 576x432 75Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "576x432" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1280x960" (height too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 111 at 60Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1280x960" (height too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 111 at 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "640x480" (hsync out of range)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (height too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 640x512 60Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "640x512" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (height too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 640x512 75Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "640x512" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (height too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 640x512 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "640x512" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 60Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 60Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "800x600" (hsync out of range)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 75Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "800x600" (hsync out of range)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 75Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "800x600" (hsync out of range)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1600x1200" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "800x600" (hsync out of range)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1792x1344" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 896x672 60Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "896x672" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1792x1344" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 896x672 75Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "896x672" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1856x1392" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 928x696 60Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "928x696" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1856x1392" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 928x696 75Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "928x696" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1920x1440" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 960x720 60Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "960x720" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1920x1440" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 960x720 75Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "960x720" (no mode of this name)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 832x624 74Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "832x624" (no mode of this name)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 416x312 74Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "416x312" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1152x864" (height too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 576x432 60Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "576x432" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1152x864" (height too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 576x432 70Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "576x432" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1152x864" (height too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 576x432 74Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "576x432" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1152x864" (height too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 576x432 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "576x432" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1152x864" (height too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 576x432 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "576x432" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1152x864" (height too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 576x432 100Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "576x432" (no mode of this name)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 1360x768 59Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1360x768" (no mode of this name)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 680x384 59Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "680x384" (no mode of this name)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 1360x768 59Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1360x768" (no mode of this name)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 680x384 59Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "680x384" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1400x1050" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 700x525 59Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "700x525" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1400x1050" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 700x525 70Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "700x525" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1400x1050" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 700x525 74Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "700x525" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1400x1050" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 700x525 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "700x525" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1440x900" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 720x450 59Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "720x450" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1600x1024" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 800x512 60Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "800x512" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1680x1050" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 840x525 59Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "840x525" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1680x1050" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 840x525 60Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "840x525" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1680x1050" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 840x525 69Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "840x525" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1680x1050" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 840x525 74Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "840x525" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1680x1050" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 840x525 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "840x525" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1920x1080" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 960x540 59Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "960x540" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1920x1200" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 960x600 59Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "960x600" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1920x1440" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 960x720 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "960x720" (no mode of this name)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "2048x1536" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 117 at 60Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (hsync out of range)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "2048x1536" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 117 at 75Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (hsync out of range)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "2048x1536" (width too large for virtual size)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 117 at 85Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (hsync out of range)
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 1366x768 59Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using driver mode "1366x768" (no mode of this name)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 60Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 60Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 111 at 75Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 111 at 75Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 111 at 60Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 111 at 60Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 720x400 70Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using driver mode "720x400" (no mode of this name)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 117 at 75Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 117 at 70Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 117 at 60Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 832x624 74Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using driver mode "832x624" (no mode of this name)
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 75Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 114 at 75Hz.
(--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 1280x720 59Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Not using driver mode "1280x720" (no mode of this name)
[...]
(WW) SAVAGE(0): Shrinking virtual size estimate from 1366x768 to 1024x768
(--) SAVAGE(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Driver mode "1024x768": 78.8 MHz, 60.0 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1024x768"x75.0 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Driver mode "1024x768": 75.0 MHz, 56.5 kHz, 70.1 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1024x768"x70.1 75.00 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (56.5 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Driver mode "1024x768": 65.0 MHz, 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1024x768"x60.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "1024x768": 78.8 MHz, 60.0 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1024x768"x75.0 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "1024x768": 75.0 MHz, 56.5 kHz, 70.1 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1024x768"x70.1 75.00 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (56.5 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "1024x768": 65.0 MHz, 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1024x768"x60.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Driver mode "800x600": 49.5 MHz, 46.9 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x75.0 49.50 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Driver mode "800x600": 50.0 MHz, 48.1 kHz, 72.2 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x72.2 50.00 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 +hsync +vsync (48.1 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Driver mode "800x600": 40.0 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 60.3 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x60.3 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Driver mode "800x600": 36.0 MHz, 35.2 kHz, 56.2 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x56.2 36.00 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync (35.2 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "800x600": 49.5 MHz, 46.9 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x75.0 49.50 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "800x600": 50.0 MHz, 48.1 kHz, 72.2 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x72.2 50.00 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 +hsync +vsync (48.1 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "800x600": 40.0 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 60.3 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x60.3 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "800x600": 81.0 MHz, 75.0 kHz, 60.0 Hz (D)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x60.0 81.00 800 832 928 1080 600 600 602 625 doublescan +hsync +vsync (75.0 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "800x600": 36.0 MHz, 35.2 kHz, 56.2 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x56.2 36.00 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync (35.2 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Driver mode "640x480": 31.5 MHz, 37.5 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x75.0 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Driver mode "640x480": 31.5 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 72.8 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x72.8 31.50 640 664 704 832 480 489 492 520 -hsync -vsync (37.9 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Driver mode "640x480": 30.2 MHz, 35.0 kHz, 66.7 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x66.7 30.24 640 704 768 864 480 483 486 525 -hsync -vsync (35.0 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Driver mode "640x480": 25.2 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 59.9 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x59.9 25.18 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "640x480": 31.5 MHz, 37.5 kHz, 75.0 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x75.0 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "640x480": 31.5 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 72.8 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x72.8 31.50 640 664 704 832 480 489 492 520 -hsync -vsync (37.9 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "640x480": 54.0 MHz, 60.0 kHz, 60.0 Hz (D)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x60.0 54.00 640 688 744 900 480 480 482 500 doublescan +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "640x480": 25.2 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 59.9 Hz
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x59.9 25.18 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "512x384": 39.4 MHz, 60.0 kHz, 75.0 Hz (D)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "512x384"x75.0 39.38 512 520 568 656 384 384 386 400 doublescan +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "512x384": 37.5 MHz, 56.5 kHz, 70.1 Hz (D)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "512x384"x70.1 37.50 512 524 592 664 384 385 388 403 doublescan -hsync -vsync (56.5 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "512x384": 32.5 MHz, 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz (D)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "512x384"x60.0 32.50 512 524 592 672 384 385 388 403 doublescan -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "400x300": 24.8 MHz, 46.9 kHz, 75.1 Hz (D)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "400x300"x75.1 24.75 400 408 448 528 300 300 302 312 doublescan +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "400x300": 25.0 MHz, 48.1 kHz, 72.2 Hz (D)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "400x300"x72.2 25.00 400 428 488 520 300 318 321 333 doublescan +hsync +vsync (48.1 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "400x300": 20.0 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 60.3 Hz (D)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "400x300"x60.3 20.00 400 420 484 528 300 300 302 314 doublescan +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "400x300": 18.0 MHz, 35.2 kHz, 56.3 Hz (D)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "400x300"x56.3 18.00 400 412 448 512 300 300 301 312 doublescan +hsync +vsync (35.2 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "320x240": 15.8 MHz, 37.5 kHz, 75.0 Hz (D)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "320x240"x75.0 15.75 320 328 360 420 240 240 242 250 doublescan -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "320x240": 15.8 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 72.8 Hz (D)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "320x240"x72.8 15.75 320 332 352 416 240 244 246 260 doublescan -hsync -vsync (37.9 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): *Default mode "320x240": 12.6 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 60.1 Hz (D)
(II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "320x240"x60.1 12.59 320 328 376 400 240 245 246 262 doublescan -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
(**) SAVAGE(0): Display dimensions: (340, 190) mm
(**) SAVAGE(0): DPI set to (76, 102)
(II) Loading sub module "fb"
(II) LoadModule: "fb"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
(II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
(II) Loading sub module "xaa"
(II) LoadModule: "xaa"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libxaa.so
(II) Module xaa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
(II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
(II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
(II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
(II) UnloadModule: "fbdevhw"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.so
(II) Loading sub module "int10"
(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Reloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
(II) SAVAGE(0): initializing int10
(II) SAVAGE(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA BIOS detected
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 31680 kB
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM: S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR Family BIOS
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 2.0
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: S3 Garphics Incorporated.
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: VBE 3.0
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: Rev 0.0
(II) SAVAGE(0): 4740 kB of Videoram needed for 3D; 32768 kB of Videoram available
(II) SAVAGE(0): Sufficient Videoram available for 3D
(II) SAVAGE(0): [drm] bpp: 16 depth: 16
(II) SAVAGE(0): [drm] Sarea 2200+284: 2484
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 11, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 11
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
(II) [drm] loaded kernel module for "savage" driver.
(II) [drm] DRM interface version 1.3
(II) [drm] DRM open master succeeded.
(II) SAVAGE(0): [drm] Using the DRM lock SAREA also for drawables.
(II) SAVAGE(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0xd8000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) SAVAGE(0): X context handle = 0x1
(II) SAVAGE(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
(II) SAVAGE(0): [agp] Mode 0x1f000201 [AGP 0x1106/0x3116; Card 0x5333/0x8d04]
(II) SAVAGE(0): [agp] 16384 kB allocated with handle 0x00000001
(II) SAVAGE(0): [agp] command DMA handle = 0xd0000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [agp] agpTextures handle = 0xd0100000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [drm] aperture handle = 0xd8000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [drm] Enabling ShadowStatus for DRI.
(II) SAVAGE(0): [drm] Status handle = 0x3577e000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [drm] Status page mapped at 0xb778d000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [dri] visual configs initialized
(**) SAVAGE(0): DRI is enabled
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 117 at 75Hz.
(II) SAVAGE(0): virtualX:1024,virtualY:768
(II) SAVAGE(0): bpp:16,tiledwidthBytes:2048,tiledBufferSize:1572864
(II) SAVAGE(0): bpp:16,widthBytes:2048,BufferSize:1572864
(II) SAVAGE(0): videoRambytes:0x02000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): textureSize:0x0195f000
(II) SAVAGE(0): textureSize:0x0195f000
(II) SAVAGE(0): textureOffset:0x00680000
(II) SAVAGE(0): depthOffset:0x00500000,depthPitch:2048
(II) SAVAGE(0): backOffset:0x00380000,backPitch:2048
(II) SAVAGE(0): Reserved back buffer at offset 0x380000
(II) SAVAGE(0): Reserved depth buffer at offset 0x500000
(II) SAVAGE(0): Reserved 25980 kb for textures at offset 0x680000
(II) SAVAGE(0): Using 1023 lines for offscreen memory.
(II) SAVAGE(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
Screen to screen bit blits
Solid filled rectangles
8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion
Solid Lines
Image Writes
Setting up tile and stipple cache:
28 128x128 slots
7 256x256 slots
(==) SAVAGE(0): Backing store disabled
(==) SAVAGE(0): DPMS enabled
(II) SAVAGE(0): [DRI] installation complete
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers]pSAVAGEDRIServer:
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] reserved_map_agpstart:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] reserved_map_idx:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] sarea_priv_offset:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] chipset:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] sgram:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] frontbufferSize:0x00180000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] frontOffset:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] frontPitch:0x00000800
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] backbufferSize:0x00180000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] backOffset:0x00380000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] backPitch:0x00000800
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] depthbufferSize:0x00180000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] depthOffset:0x00500000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] depthPitch:0x00000800
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] textureOffset:0x00680000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] textureSize:0x0195f000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] textureSize:0x0195f000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] logTextureGranularity:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] agp:handle:0x00000001
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] agp:offset:0x01000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] agp:size:0x01000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] agp:map:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] registers:handle:0xe1000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] registers:offset:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] registers:size:0x00080000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] registers:map:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] status:handle:0x3577e000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] status:offset:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] status:size:0x00001000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] status:map:0xb778d000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] agpTextures:handle:0xd0100000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] agpTextures:offset:0x00100000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] agpTextures:size:0x00f00000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] apgTextures:map:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] logAgpTextureGranularity:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] cmdDma:handle:0xd0000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] cmdDma:offset:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] cmdDma:size:0x00100000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] cmdDma:map:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers]pSAVAGEDRI:
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] chipset:0x00000006
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] width:0x00000400
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] height:0x00000300
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] mem:0x02000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] cpp:2
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] zpp:2
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] agpMode:1
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] bufferSize:65536
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] frontbufferSize:0x00180000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] frontOffset:0x00000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] backbufferSize:0x00180000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] backOffset:0x00380000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] depthbufferSize:0x00180000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] depthOffset:0x00500000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] textureOffset:0x00680000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] textureSize:0x01800000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] logTextureGranularity:0x00000015
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] agpTextureHandle:0xd0100000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] agpTextureSize:0x00f00000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] logAgpTextureGranularity:0x00000014
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] apertureHandle:0xd8000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] apertureSize:0x05000000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] aperturePitch:0x00001000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] statusHandle:0x3577e000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] statusSize:0x00001000
(II) SAVAGE(0): [junkers] sarea_priv_offset:0x00000898
(II) SAVAGE(0): Direct rendering enabled
(==) RandR enabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
(II) Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
(II) Initializing built-in extension SYNC
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
(II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
SELinux: Disabled on system, not enabling in X server
record: RECORD extension enabled at configure time.
record: This extension is known to be broken, disabling extension now..
record: http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20500
(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 12, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 12, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 12
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
(II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_make_current_read
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/savage_dri.so
(II) GLX: Initialized DRI GL provider for screen 0
(II) config/udev: Adding input device "Power Button" (/dev/input/event2)
(II) LoadModule: "evdev"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
(II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.7.3.902, module version = 2.3.2
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0
(**) "Power Button": always reports core events
(**) "Power Button": Device: "/dev/input/event2"
(II) "Power Button": Found keys
(II) "Power Button": Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device ""Power Button"" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "pc104"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(II) config/udev: Adding input device "Power Button" (/dev/input/event1)
(**) "Power Button": always reports core events
(**) "Power Button": Device: "/dev/input/event1"
(II) "Power Button": Found keys
(II) "Power Button": Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device ""Power Button"" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "pc104"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(II) config/udev: Adding input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" (/dev/input/event0)
(**) "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard": always reports core events
(**) "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard": Device: "/dev/input/event0"
(II) "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard": Found keys
(II) "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard": Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device ""AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "pc104"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(II) config/udev: Adding input device "PS/2 Generic Mouse" (/dev/input/event4)
(**) "PS/2 Generic Mouse": always reports core events
(**) "PS/2 Generic Mouse": Device: "/dev/input/event4"
(II) "PS/2 Generic Mouse": Found 3 mouse buttons
(II) "PS/2 Generic Mouse": Found relative axes
(II) "PS/2 Generic Mouse": Found x and y relative axes
(II) "PS/2 Generic Mouse": Configuring as mouse
(**) "PS/2 Generic Mouse": YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) "PS/2 Generic Mouse": EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device ""PS/2 Generic Mouse"" (type: MOUSE)
(**) "PS/2 Generic Mouse": (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
(**) "PS/2 Generic Mouse": (accel) acceleration profile 0
(II) "PS/2 Generic Mouse": initialized for relative axes.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device "PS/2 Generic Mouse" (/dev/input/mouse0)
(**) "PS/2 Generic Mouse": always reports core events
(**) "PS/2 Generic Mouse": Device: "/dev/input/mouse0"
(EE) ioctl EVIOCGNAME failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for ""PS/2 Generic Mouse""
-EOF-

I notice that there is mention of 1366x768 in the above log, some part of X learned of
the correct screen resolution from somewhere. I feel some hope that this can be useful.

I have a paper copy of the monitor "Quick Start Guide" which contains many more
specification numbers than "1366 x 768 @60Hz", e.g.
Dot Clock is 160MHz
H-Freq is 30KHz - 80KHz
V-Freq is 50-75Hz
Neither the display nor the computer has a DVI connector.

Thanks for asking. Hope you can help.

--
Paul E Condon
peco...@mesanetworks.net

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2010031215...@big.lan.gnu

Brad Rogers

Mar 12, 2010, 11:10:02 AM3/12/10
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:13:04 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Camaleón,

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:35:16 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > IM(admittedly limted)E, if X doesn't get the resolution right, xrandr
> > won't be able to detect it any better.
> To be sincere, nowadays that X in "dinamically" setup, I'm not sure.

My experience relates to now. However, what I'm seeing is an
improvement on what I got about 6 months ago, when X woudn't even start
on this hardware.

> I had previous experiences with xorg configuration that couldn't
> properly detect the display resolution but just by forcing it (writing
> up in xorg.conf file) it just worked :-?

Which is what I'll be doing tonight, probably.

> Also, using a digital output -DVI instead VGA- (if available) can help
> X to detect the screen size and adjust it accordingly.

Sadly, not an option; No DVI o/p on this machine.

> Another thing to look into is the driver in use. Different drivers
> deliver different results. Yes, I know that not everyone likes using
> closed drivers but is just another option to test.

I'm not that bothered about whenther I use nv or nvidia, so yes, that
opens another avenue for me to explore.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

To the ends of the earth, you look for sense in it
No Time To Be 21 - The Adverts

signature.asc

Paul E Condon

Mar 12, 2010, 11:10:02 AM3/12/10
More information

On 20100312_092355, Stephen Powell wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 01:42:16 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:
> >
> > I have a cheap flat screen monitor on one of my computers. I works
> > nicely, but not perfectly with Lenny. But in a much inferior way when
> > I switch to Squeeze.

... snip

Both Lenny and Squeeze on this computer are recent, clean installations,
each in its own separate partition. Both installations were done with
tasksel set for Desktop Environment and Base System. The log file is
from the Squeeze install, which is the one that I am most desireous of
fixing.

--
Paul E Condon
peco...@mesanetworks.net

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2010031216...@big.lan.gnu

Paul E Condon

Mar 12, 2010, 12:00:02 PM3/12/10
On 20100312_102211, John W Foster wrote:
> [...]
<snip>
> Hi Paul:
> I read thru the install log from xorg & it looks like everything is
> doing as it should. I am wondering if this new flat screen is a
> letterbox shaped screen or a standard shaped screen. I suspect this is
> an "aspect ratio" issue rather than a "screen resolution" issue though
> it may be a combination of both. I have little experience with the
> letterbox screens but I am planing to buy one soon & am studying the
> list & other tings for compatibility as I do not want to incur this type
> of issue. Please post your solution when you get it going correctly.
> Best wishes!
> --
> John Foster

The pixels are specified to be 0.252mm(H)x0.252mm(V), which implies an
aspect ratio of 1366:768. This is close to 16:9, but not exact. To be
exact would have to be e.g. 1366:768.375 or 1365.333:768. Both have
fractional number of pixels, which of course is impossible. So there
must be some 'engineering hack'. I have no idea what ugly hacks are
done to make beautiful Xwindows design concept fit with ugly real world
of integer arithmetic ;-)

What really puzzles me is the fact that two recent installs of X arrive
at different kludge solutions -on-the-same-hardware-.

--
Paul E Condon
peco...@mesanetworks.net

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2010031216...@big.lan.gnu

John W Foster

Mar 12, 2010, 12:30:01 PM3/12/10
[...]

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1268410931.28649.5.camel@brutus

Aioanei Rares

Mar 12, 2010, 12:30:02 PM3/12/10
John W Foster wrote:
> [...]
X --configure (as root); alter the xorg.conf as desired, test it with X
--config <xorg.conf.filename>, and if you like it, copy the file in
/etc/X11/ as xorg.conf

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4B9A794...@gmail.com

Stephen Powell

Mar 12, 2010, 1:20:02 PM3/12/10
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:58:08 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20100312_092355, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> Paul, please provide the following information:
>>
>> (1) Make and model of your computer
> Compaq Presario S3200NX (sn MX31028632)
>> (2) Make and model of your video card
> integrated graphics on mother board
>> (3) Make and model of your monitor
> Acer X163W
>> (4) Your existing /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
> there is no such file. this is a new install done yesterday
> and I have not yet attempted any hacking
>> (5) The contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> There follows 858 lines of the above named file:

OK, we learn a lot from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

Your Integrated graphics card is

> (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 5333:8d04:1462:3908 S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] rev 0, Mem @ 0xe1000000/524288, 0xd8000000/134217728, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536

I thought at first that the stuff within parentheses might be the chipset.
But I found out later that I was wrong. We'll see why in a minute.
X chose the "savage" driver. It lists the chipsets which it supports.

> (II) SAVAGE: driver (version 2.3.1) for S3 Savage chipsets: Savage4,
> Savage3D, Savage3D-MV, Savage2000, Savage/MX-MV, Savage/MX,
> Savage/IX-MV, Savage/IX, ProSavage PM133, ProSavage KM133,
> Twister PN133, Twister KN133, SuperSavage/MX 128, SuperSavage/MX 64,
> SuperSavage/MX 64C, SuperSavage/IX 128, SuperSavage/IX 128,
> SuperSavage/IX 64, SuperSavage/IX 64, SuperSavage/IXC 64,
> SuperSavage/IXC 64, ProSavage DDR, ProSavage DDR-K

I'm not sure what to make of this next section. First it says it's defaulting
to 16 bit color.

> (II) SAVAGE(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
> "Builtin Default savage Screen 0" for depth/fbbpp 16/16
> (==) SAVAGE(0): Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
> (==) SAVAGE(0): RGB weight 565

But then it says it's going to use true color mode, which requires at least 24 bits!

> (==) SAVAGE(0): Default visual is TrueColor

And then we have this little tidbit.

> (==) SAVAGE(0): Using video BIOS to set modes

That's trouble. If it uses this method, then you're limited to the video modes that are
pre-defined in the video BIOS. And if 1366x768 isn't one of them, too bad.

> (--) SAVAGE(0): Chip: id 8d04, "ProSavage DDR-K"

There's the actual chipset: ProSavage DDR-K, which is one of the supported
chipsets for this driver. (It's the last one listed.)

> (--) SAVAGE(0): probed videoram: 32768k

Plenty of video RAM to do true color mode even at 1366x768 resolution.

1366x768x24/1024 = 24588k; 1366x768x32/1024 = 32784k.
Hmm. If we have to use 32 bits of RAM per pixel, we may not have enough.
We'll see about that later.

It did find the DDC2/EDID information about your monitor though:

> (II) SAVAGE(0): Manufacturer: ACR Model: 15 Serial#: 2441181409
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Year: 2009 Week: 18
> (II) SAVAGE(0): EDID Version: 1.3
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Analog Display Input, Input Voltage Level: 0.700/0.700 V
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Sync: Separate
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Max Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 34 vert.: 19
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Gamma: 2.20
> (II) SAVAGE(0): DPMS capabilities: Off; RGB/Color Display
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Default color space is primary color space
> (II) SAVAGE(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
> (II) SAVAGE(0): redX: 0.637 redY: 0.333 greenX: 0.284 greenY: 0.596
> (II) SAVAGE(0): blueX: 0.154 blueY: 0.083 whiteX: 0.313 whiteY: 0.329

These are the VESA standard modes that the monitor supports:

> (II) SAVAGE(0): Supported established timings:
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 720x400@70Hz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 640x480@60Hz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 640x480@67Hz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 640x480@72Hz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 640x480@75Hz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 800x600@56Hz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 800x600@60Hz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 800x600@72Hz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 800x600@75Hz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 832x624@75Hz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 1024x768@60Hz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 1024x768@70Hz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 1024x768@75Hz

More monitor stuff:

> (II) SAVAGE(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Supported standard timings:
> (II) SAVAGE(0): #0: hsize: 1280 vsize 720 refresh: 60 vid: 49281
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Supported detailed timing:
> (II) SAVAGE(0): clock: 85.5 MHz Image Size: 344 x 193 mm
> (II) SAVAGE(0): h_active: 1366 h_sync: 1435 h_sync_end 1578 h_blank_end 1790 h_border: 0
> (II) SAVAGE(0): v_active: 768 v_sync: 771 v_sync_end 781 v_blanking: 798 v_border: 0
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Ranges: V min: 50 V max: 75 Hz, H min: 30 H max: 80 kHz, PixClock max 160 MHz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Monitor name: Acer X163W
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Serial No: LBF080014210
> (II) SAVAGE(0): EDID (in hex):
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 00ffffffffffff0004721500e1788191
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 12130103682213782e1e95a355489827
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 155054bfee0081c00101010101010101
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 010101010101662156a851001e30458f
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 3a0058c11000001c000000fd00324b1e
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 5010000a202020202020000000fc0041
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 6365722058313633570a2020000000ff
> (II) SAVAGE(0): 004c42463038303031343231300a003d
> (II) SAVAGE(0): EDID vendor "ACR", prod id 21
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Using EDID range info for horizontal sync
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Using EDID range info for vertical refresh

Here are all the modes listed by the monitor as modes that it supports. Some may be
VESA standard modes, others may not be.

> (II) SAVAGE(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1366x768"x0.0 85.50 1366 1435 1578 1790 768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync (47.8 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 36.00 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync (35.2 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 31.50 640 664 704 832 480 489 492 520 -hsync -vsync (37.9 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 30.24 640 704 768 864 480 483 486 525 -hsync -vsync (35.0 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 25.18 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "720x400"x0.0 28.32 720 738 846 900 400 412 414 449 -hsync +vsync (31.5 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 75.00 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (56.5 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "832x624"x0.0 57.28 832 864 928 1152 624 625 628 667 -hsync -vsync (49.7 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 49.50 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 50.00 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 +hsync +vsync (48.1 kHz)
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Modeline "1280x720"x60.0 74.48 1280 1336 1472 1664 720 721 724 746 -hsync +vsync (44.8 kHz)

These appear to be the modes supported by the video BIOS at depth 16.

> (--) SAVAGE(0): Found 13 modes at this depth:
> [10e] 320 x 200, 70Hz
> [133] 320 x 240, 72Hz
> [143] 400 x 300, 72Hz
> [153] 512 x 384, 70Hz
> [11d] 640 x 400, 70Hz
> [111] 640 x 480, 60Hz, 75Hz, 85Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz
> [114] 800 x 600, 60Hz, 75Hz, 85Hz
> [117] 1024 x 768, 60Hz, 70Hz, 75Hz, 85Hz, 100Hz, 130Hz
> [17a] 1280 x 768, 60Hz
> [14f] 1280 x 960, 60Hz, 85Hz
> [11a] 1280 x 1024, 60Hz, 75Hz, 85Hz, 100Hz
> [13c] 1400 x 1050, 60Hz, 75Hz
> [122] 1600 x 1200, 60Hz

Note that 1366x768 is not one of them! That's trouble.

> (II) SAVAGE(0): <default monitor>: Using hsync range of 30.00-80.00 kHz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): <default monitor>: Using vrefresh range of 50.00-75.00 Hz
> (II) SAVAGE(0): <default monitor>: Using maximum pixel clock of 160.00 MHz

The above probed monitor characteristics agree with the specs in your owner's manual.

> (II) SAVAGE(0): Estimated virtual size for aspect ratio 1.7895 is 1366x768

It correctly chose 1366x768 as the virtual screen size. But there's trouble ahead.

> (II) SAVAGE(0): Clock range: 10.00 to 250.00 MHz

The maximum dot clock rate supported by the video card (250MHz) is plenty high enough
to run your monitor at the 1366x768 resolution, which only requires a dot clock rate
of 85.5 MHz.

OK, now it starts chucking out modes that are not supported by the video BIOS.

> (--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 640x350 85Hz.
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "640x350" (no mode of this name)
> (--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 320x175 85Hz.
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "320x175" (no mode of this name)

Here's one that it kept. This is 640x400.

> (--) SAVAGE(0): Chose mode 11d at 70Hz.

More keeping and throwing away.

> (--) SAVAGE(0): No suitable BIOS mode found for 1366x768 59Hz.
> (II) SAVAGE(0): Not using driver mode "1366x768" (no mode of this name)

Oops! There went your your treasured 1366x768 mode!

> (WW) SAVAGE(0): Shrinking virtual size estimate from 1366x768 to 1024x768

After tossing out all the modes that aren't supported by the video BIOS,
or that won't work for some other reason, it decides to reduce the virtual
screen size.

> (--) SAVAGE(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)

And things are all downhill from there.

The bottom line: the problem is not with your monitor. The problem is that
the savage driver wants to use the video BIOS to set the video mode.

The single most important thing you must have in any xorg.conf file is

Option "UseBIOS" "off"

This goes in the "Device" section. If you need more help, let me know,
and I'll try to come up with a specific xorg.conf file for you.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlin...@wowway.com>
: :' :
`. `'`
`-

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/939939612.186838712684...@md01.wow.synacor.com

Paul E Condon

Mar 12, 2010, 2:40:01 PM3/12/10
Wow! Thanks. But I need more help. See below.

The log file that you examined was for the Squeeze installation, which
had no file named /etc/X11/xorg.conf. So, at first, I was wondering
what else must I put in the file? Surely something that identified a
Device section, at least. Then I remembered that there was a file,
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, in the Lenny installation. When I looked at it, I
realized that it was a skeletal generic xorg.conf file that just
introduced generic names for required sections.

I put your "Option" line in that, and Lenny went from 1280x768 to the ideal
1366x768 !

I copied that file into the Squeeze partition and it also worked there !!!

And !!! we have your wonderful commentary on the /var/log/Xorg.0.log text,
for study in how to solve X problems by reading the log.

I wonder why there is no generic /etc/X11/xorg.conf installed by
Squeeze. And why there is not your magic line pre-configured in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf in Lenny.

--
Paul E Condon
peco...@mesanetworks.net

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2010031219...@big.lan.gnu

Andrew Sackville-West

Mar 12, 2010, 2:40:01 PM3/12/10
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 01:11:14PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
[...]

> OK, we learn a lot from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.
>
> Your Integrated graphics card is
>
> > (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 5333:8d04:1462:3908 S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] rev 0, Mem @ 0xe1000000/524288, 0xd8000000/134217728, BIOS @ 0x????????/65536
>
> I thought at first that the stuff within parentheses might be the chipset.
> But I found out later that I was wrong. We'll see why in a minute.
> X chose the "savage" driver. It lists the chipsets which it supports.
>
> > (II) SAVAGE: driver (version 2.3.1) for S3 Savage chipsets: Savage4,
> > Savage3D, Savage3D-MV, Savage2000, Savage/MX-MV, Savage/MX,
> > Savage/IX-MV, Savage/IX, ProSavage PM133, ProSavage KM133,

[... snip a lot of great stuff...]

> After tossing out all the modes that aren't supported by the video BIOS,
> or that won't work for some other reason, it decides to reduce the virtual
> screen size.
>
> > (--) SAVAGE(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
>
> And things are all downhill from there.
>
> The bottom line: the problem is not with your monitor. The problem is that
> the savage driver wants to use the video BIOS to set the video mode.
>
> The single most important thing you must have in any xorg.conf file is
>
> Option "UseBIOS" "off"
>
> This goes in the "Device" section. If you need more help, let me know,
> and I'll try to come up with a specific xorg.conf file for you.

I just wanted to say this is just a fantastic explanation of the log
file. nice job.

signature.asc

Stephen Powell

Mar 12, 2010, 3:20:02 PM3/12/10
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:36:07 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:
> Wow! Thanks.

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

> But I need more help. See below.

> The log file that you examined was for the Squeeze installation, which
> had no file named /etc/X11/xorg.conf. So, at first, I was wondering
> what else must I put in the file? Surely something that identified a
> Device section, at least. Then I remembered that there was a file,
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf, in the Lenny installation. When I looked at it, I
> realized that it was a skeletal generic xorg.conf file that just
> introduced generic names for required sections.
>
> I put your "Option" line in that, and Lenny went from 1280x768 to the ideal
> 1366x768 !
>
> I copied that file into the Squeeze partition and it also worked there !!!
>
> And !!! we have your wonderful commentary on the /var/log/Xorg.0.log text,
> for study in how to solve X problems by reading the log.
>
> I wonder why there is no generic /etc/X11/xorg.conf installed by
> Squeeze.

X.Org has been working hard for a long time to produce a self-configuring
server. They finally succeeded. The Lenny version still requires manual
configuration of the keyboard and mouse. The Squeeze version is, for
the most part, self-configuring. But even the Squeeze version needs manual
configuration tweaking sometimes.

> And why there is not your magic line pre-configured in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf in Lenny.

Here is an excerpt from the man page for the savage driver that explains
why UseBIOS defaults to yes.

----------

Option UseBIOS boolean
Enable or disable use of the video BIOS to change modes. Ordinarily,
the savage driver tries to use the video BIOS to do mode switches. This
generally produces the best results with the mobile chips (/MX and /IX),
since the BIOS knows how to handle the critical but unusual timing
requirements of the various LCD panels supported by the chip. To do this,
the driver searches through the BIOS mode list, looking for the mode
which most closely matches the xorg.conf mode line. Some purists find
this scheme objectionable. If you would rather have the savage driver
use your mode line timing exactly, turn off the UseBios option.
Note: Use of the BIOS is required for dualhead operation.
Default: on (use the BIOS).

----------

Since your chipset is not one of the /MX or /IX chipsets, and since
the modeline to use came directly from the monitor itself, I was confident
that we could safely bypass the BIOS and alter the VGA registers directly.

Here is a link to a web page that gives an xorg.conf file for Lenny.

http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm#ConfigX

This is for use in an IBM ThinkPad 600. You can't copy it verbatim,
as it is tweaked for this specific laptop. But it may provide a
useful template for you.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlin...@wowway.com>
: :' :
`. `'`
`-

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/554150029.187157112684...@md01.wow.synacor.com

Wayne

Mar 12, 2010, 3:20:01 PM3/12/10

+1 X 10

Wayne

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4B9AA05...@gmail.com

Stephen Powell

Mar 12, 2010, 3:30:02 PM3/12/10
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:36:27 -0500 (EST), Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> I just wanted to say this is just a fantastic explanation of the log
> file. nice job.

Well, there was other stuff in the log that I skipped over because it
wasn't relevant to the problem. But thanks. I am grateful to those
from whom I learned this stuff.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlin...@wowway.com>
: :' :
`. `'`
`-

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/921643445.187186812684...@md01.wow.synacor.com

Freeman

Mar 12, 2010, 4:10:02 PM3/12/10

'Twas a truly great read, even for the clueless.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2010031221...@Europa.office

Tony Nelson

Mar 12, 2010, 11:20:02 PM3/12/10
On 10-03-12 13:11:14, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:58:08 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:

> > (--) SAVAGE(0): probed videoram: 32768k
>
> Plenty of video RAM to do true color mode even at 1366x768
> resolution.
>
> 1366x768x24/1024 = 24588k; 1366x768x32/1024 = 32784k.
> Hmm. If we have to use 32 bits of RAM per pixel, we may not have
> enough. We'll see about that later.

You did the math wrong. Use bytes, not bits. Also allow for 3
buffers.

(1366*768*3*3)/1024 = 9220K
(1366*768*4*3)/1024 = 12294K

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/126845336...@localhost.localdomain

Mark Allums

Mar 13, 2010, 12:20:02 AM3/13/10
On 3/12/2010 10:22 AM, John W Foster wrote:
> [...]

I never heard of 1366x768, this seems non-standard to me. A wide screen
monitor might be 1440x900. What is the diagonal measurement in inches
or centimeters? What is the aspect ratio? 4:3, 3:2, 16:10, 16:9?
(1366x768 is physically 16:9 assuming square pixels)

I am asking such silly-seeming questions because xorg.conf these days
tends to be ignored by the Xservers if it seems inconvenient to the
driver+server. That is, in my experience, if the monitor is
plug-and-play, then X goes by whatever the monitor hardware reports, and
xorg.conf might as well not exist.

For the record, my experiences have been with early Squeeze and Sid.

Mark Allums

(Also, Virtualbox, but my difficulties with X under vbox, I attributed
to vbox, since the vbox X driver needs help knowing what the size of the
view is---and why it's important to install the "additions" helper.)

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4B9B1F02...@allums.com

Mark Allums

Mar 13, 2010, 12:40:02 AM3/13/10
On 3/12/2010 12:11 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:58:08 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:
>> On 20100312_092355, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>>
>>> Paul, please provide the following information:

>>> (5) The contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> There follows 858 lines of the above named file:
>
> OK, we learn a lot from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

> And things are all downhill from there.
>
> The bottom line: the problem is not with your monitor. The problem is that
> the savage driver wants to use the video BIOS to set the video mode.
>
> The single most important thing you must have in any xorg.conf file is
>
> Option "UseBIOS" "off"
>
> This goes in the "Device" section. If you need more help, let me know,
> and I'll try to come up with a specific xorg.conf file for you.

First of all, thanks for the running commentary, it is well done.
Second, it shows that X tends to ignore stuff it finds inconvenient.
From one other post, we see that xorg.conf is optional these days, and
from a different post (from OP), we see that a somewhat obscure setting
is required if you *do* use an xorg.conf file. (Option "UseBIOS" "off"
worked.)

This shows the tendency of Linux more and more these days to eschew the
old philosophy of using simple, user-edited configurations, and instead
try to add more and more "magic". Not sure I like this trend.

Mark Allums

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4B9B2254...@allums.com

Ron Johnson

Mar 13, 2010, 1:10:01 AM3/13/10
On 2010-03-12 23:27, Mark Allums wrote:
> On 3/12/2010 12:11 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:

>>> There follows 858 lines of the above named file:
>>
>> OK, we learn a lot from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.
>

>> And things are all downhill from there.
>>
>> The bottom line: the problem is not with your monitor. The problem is
>> that
>> the savage driver wants to use the video BIOS to set the video mode.
>>
>> The single most important thing you must have in any xorg.conf file is
>>
>> Option "UseBIOS" "off"
>>
>> This goes in the "Device" section. If you need more help, let me know,
>> and I'll try to come up with a specific xorg.conf file for you.
>

> First of all, thanks for the running commentary, it is well done.
> Second, it shows that X tends to ignore stuff it finds inconvenient.

Inconvenient, or "can't handle"?

Better error/informational messages would help, though.

> From one other post, we see that xorg.conf is optional these days, and
> from a different post (from OP), we see that a somewhat obscure setting
> is required if you *do* use an xorg.conf file. (Option "UseBIOS" "off"
> worked.)
>
> This shows the tendency of Linux more and more these days to eschew the
> old philosophy of using simple, user-edited configurations, and instead
> try to add more and more "magic". Not sure I like this trend.

As long as there's a manual override, I don't mind the magic. After
all, self-configuration (i.e. minimizing the work of the user) is
what computers are supposed to do!

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4B9B2BF6...@cox.net

Stephen Powell

Mar 13, 2010, 2:20:01 PM3/13/10
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:09:27 -0500 (EST), Tony Nelson wrote:
> On 10-03-12 13:11:14, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:58:08 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:
>>> (--) SAVAGE(0): probed videoram: 32768k
>>
>> Plenty of video RAM to do true color mode even at 1366x768
>> resolution.
>>
>> 1366x768x24/1024 = 24588k; 1366x768x32/1024 = 32784k.
>> Hmm. If we have to use 32 bits of RAM per pixel, we may not have
>> enough. We'll see about that later.
>
> You did the math wrong. Use bytes, not bits. Also allow for 3
> buffers.
>
> (1366*768*3*3)/1024 = 9220K
> (1366*768*4*3)/1024 = 12294K

I did indeed do the math incorrectly! What a schoolboy mistake!
I neglected to convert from bits to bytes. But I don't understand
your version either. The correct math, by the way I have traditionally
done it, is

1366*768*3/1024 = 3073.5k
1366*768*4/1024 = 4098k

This is based on a formula obtained from "Upgrading and Repairing
PCs", Sixth Edition, by Scott Mueller, page 443. (This book is
quite dated, having been copyrighted in 1996.)

Where did you get the stuff about three buffers? Does this have
something to do with 3D graphics acceleration?

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlin...@wowway.com>
: :' :
`. `'`
`-

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1624648332.18895011268...@md01.wow.synacor.com

Stephen Powell

Mar 13, 2010, 2:40:01 PM3/13/10
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 00:13:38 -0500 (EST), Mark Allums wrote:
> I am asking such silly-seeming questions because xorg.conf these days
> tends to be ignored by the Xservers if it seems inconvenient to the
> driver+server. That is, in my experience, if the monitor is
> plug-and-play, then X goes by whatever the monitor hardware reports, and
> xorg.conf might as well not exist.

I wouldn't say that the X server *ignores* xorg.conf. But it is true that
configuration statements such as HorizSync and VertRefresh are ignored
in a monitor section if the monitor is plug-and-play. The values reported
by the monitor are used instead.

I'm not sure I like that behavior. One could argue that point either way,
I suppose. On the one hand, one could argue that the monitor knows best,
and if it reports its characteristics via EDID, they should be used.
On the other hand, one may wish to override these values for the purpose
of experimentation. Being an engineer, I want to be able to override
things for the purpose of experimentation. But the designers of X are
probably more interested in preventing damage to the monitor. Therefore,
they took the other approach.

In the solution to the problem at hand, I did not override any monitor
characteristics. I simply told the driver to use a different (non-default)
algorithm for setting the video mode.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlin...@wowway.com>
: :' :
`. `'`
`-

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1616584946.18897901268...@md01.wow.synacor.com

Hugo Vanwoerkom

Mar 13, 2010, 2:40:02 PM3/13/10

I run a 2-seater: 2 graphics cards (nVidia GeForce 6200), 2 monitors, 2
keyboards and 2 mice for 2 separate users.

The latest xserver-xorg from Sid (1:7.5+3) freezes the system solid
after about 6 minutes *always*.

'X -configure' sees the 2 cards and the 2 monitors but not the 2
keyboards and the 2 mice and has no clue that it is a 2-seater.

Upgrading I have no choice but to pin X to the last version that works
faultlessly: 1:7.4+4

But that will eventually get me into trouble of course...

Hugo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/hngpip$k0l$1...@dough.gmane.org

Stephen Powell

Mar 13, 2010, 3:00:02 PM3/13/10
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 00:27:48 -0500 (EST), Mark Allums wrote:
> First of all, thanks for the running commentary, it is well done.
> Second, it shows that X tends to ignore stuff it finds inconvenient.
> From one other post, we see that xorg.conf is optional these days, and
> from a different post (from OP), we see that a somewhat obscure setting
> is required if you *do* use an xorg.conf file. (Option "UseBIOS" "off"
> worked.)

This option is specific to the savage driver and is only needed if
the monitor's resolution is not supported by the video BIOS.

> This shows the tendency of Linux more and more these days to eschew the
> old philosophy of using simple, user-edited configurations, and instead
> try to add more and more "magic". Not sure I like this trend.

I hear you. For me, I don't mind if the software is smart enough
to figure some things out on its own. But I want a way to override things
if the defaults are not to my liking. As I mentioned in another post,
there are some things, such as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot
be overridden for a plug-and-play monitor. I don't like that trend at all.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlin...@wowway.com>
: :' :
`. `'`
`-

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1278354342.18901591268...@md01.wow.synacor.com

John Hasler

Mar 13, 2010, 3:10:02 PM3/13/10
Stephen Powell writes:
> But the designers of X are probably more interested in preventing
> damage to the monitor.

It is rather unlikely that any monitor modern enough to have EDID would
be damaged by incorrect synch. It would just shut down if it was sent
something it couldn't deal with.
--
John Hasler

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87iq90x...@thumper.dhh.gt.org

Stephen Powell

Mar 13, 2010, 4:00:02 PM3/13/10
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 14:45:13 -0500 (EST), John Hasler wrote:
> Stephen Powell writes:
>> But the designers of X are probably more interested in preventing
>> damage to the monitor.
>
> It is rather unlikely that any monitor modern enough to have EDID would
> be damaged by incorrect synch. It would just shut down if it was sent
> something it couldn't deal with.

One would hope so. But the X server does,
in fact, ignore any HorizSync, VertRefresh, Option "MaxClock", and
a number of other monitor configuration statements when this information
is obtained from EDID data. And I don't like that. I want to be
able to override things. I want it to use the EDID data if there are
no corresponding explicit configuration statements. But an explicit
configuration statement should always, in my opinion, be able to override
any probed value.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlin...@wowway.com>
: :' :
`. `'`
`-

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1254453288.18911201268...@md01.wow.synacor.com

Ron Johnson

Mar 13, 2010, 4:40:01 PM3/13/10
On 2010-03-13 13:57, Stephen Powell wrote:
[snip]

> if the defaults are not to my liking. As I mentioned in another post,
> there are some things, such as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot
> be overridden for a plug-and-play monitor. I don't like that trend at all.

Incorrect values might bzzt the monitor??

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4B9C04D7...@cox.net

Stephen Powell

Mar 13, 2010, 5:00:03 PM3/13/10
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 14:17:10 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
> I did indeed do the math incorrectly! What a schoolboy mistake!
> I neglected to convert from bits to bytes. But I don't understand
> your version either. The correct math, by the way I have traditionally
> done it, is
>
> 1366*768*3/1024 = 3073.5k
> 1366*768*4/1024 = 4098k
>
> This is based on a formula obtained from "Upgrading and Repairing
> PCs", Sixth Edition, by Scott Mueller, page 443. (This book is
> quite dated, having been copyrighted in 1996.)
>
> Where did you get the stuff about three buffers? Does this have
> something to do with 3D graphics acceleration?

I did some more research and answered my own question. I decided
to consult a much more recent version of "Upgrading and Repairing
PCs". In particular, I consulted the Seventeenth Edition, which
was copyrighted in 2006, ten years later than the Sixth Edition.

It does indeed have to do with 3D graphics.
The three buffers are the front buffer, back buffer, and Z buffer.
So multiply the numbers above by 3, which is what you said. That's
assuming that double buffering is used. But if triple buffering
is used, multiply by 4, not 3.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlin...@wowway.com>
: :' :
`. `'`
`-

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/993838866.189181212685...@md01.wow.synacor.com

Stephen Powell

Mar 13, 2010, 5:10:02 PM3/13/10
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:34:15 -0500 (EST), Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-03-13 13:57, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> As I mentioned in another post,
>> there are some things, such as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot
>> be overridden for a plug-and-play monitor. I don't like that trend at all.
>

> Incorrect values might bzzt the monitor??

Possibly, but not likely. In the early days, some of the cheapest
monitors did not have protection circuitry that will shut them
down if they are driven beyond safe limits. But as another poster pointed
out, any monitor modern enough to support plug-and-play (DDC2/EDID)
is almost certain to have internal protection circuitry that will
shut it down if driven outside of safe limits.

Nevertheless, in the unlikely event that I fry my monitor by overriding the
EDID specs, I asked for it, didn't I? I'm an engineer. Give me full
control. If I fry my monitor, I have no-one to blame but myself.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlin...@wowway.com>
: :' :
`. `'`
`-

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1449666297.18920291268...@md01.wow.synacor.com

John Hasler

Mar 13, 2010, 5:20:01 PM3/13/10
Stephan Powell writes:
> But an explicit configuration statement should always, in my opinion,
> be able to override any probed value.

I agree. "It might damage the monitor" would not really be an excuse
even if there were vulnerable EDID monitors. "Newbies" are not going to
put modelines in xorg.conf: they will never have heard of it. Software
should do as it is told.
--
John Hasler

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87eijny...@thumper.dhh.gt.org

Ron Johnson

Mar 13, 2010, 5:20:01 PM3/13/10
On 2010-03-13 16:06, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:34:15 -0500 (EST), Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 2010-03-13 13:57, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>> As I mentioned in another post,
>>> there are some things, such as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot
>>> be overridden for a plug-and-play monitor. I don't like that trend at all.
>>
>> Incorrect values might bzzt the monitor??
>
> Possibly, but not likely. In the early days, some of the cheapest
> monitors did not have protection circuitry that will shut them
> down if they are driven beyond safe limits. But as another poster pointed
> out, any monitor modern enough to support plug-and-play (DDC2/EDID)
> is almost certain to have internal protection circuitry that will
> shut it down if driven outside of safe limits.
>
> Nevertheless, in the unlikely event that I fry my monitor by overriding the
> EDID specs, I asked for it, didn't I?

Stephen, Stephen, Stephen. There's a butt-load more lawyers than
there are engineers, and there's 1500 metric ass loads more stupid
people than there are engineers.

"I want control!!!"
"OK, you have control."
Bzzt.
"Why didn't you protect me from myself?"

> I'm an engineer.

0.000029% of the population.

> Give me full
> control. If I fry my monitor, I have no-one to blame but myself.

Three words: hot McDonalds coffee.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4B9C0F60...@cox.net

John Hasler

Mar 13, 2010, 5:40:02 PM3/13/10
Ron Johnson writes:
> Incorrect values might bzzt the monitor??

No way are there any monitors new enough to support EDID but still
vulnerable to wrong synch. That problem was solved before EDIDwas
invented.

Besides, maybe I _want_ to bzzt my monitor.
--
John Hasler

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87634zy...@thumper.dhh.gt.org

John Hasler

Mar 13, 2010, 5:40:02 PM3/13/10
Stephen Powell writes:
> But I want a way to override things if the defaults are not to my
> liking. As I mentioned in another post, there are some things, such
> as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot be overridden for a
> plug-and-play monitor.

You _could_ cut off pin 12 on the connector...
--
John Hasler

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87aauby...@thumper.dhh.gt.org

Stephen Powell

Mar 13, 2010, 5:50:01 PM3/13/10
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:19:12 -0500 (EST), Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-03-13 16:06, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Nevertheless, in the unlikely event that I fry my monitor by overriding the
>> EDID specs, I asked for it, didn't I?
>
> Stephen, Stephen, Stephen. There's a butt-load more lawyers than
> there are engineers, and there's 1500 metric ass loads more stupid
> people than there are engineers.
>
> "I want control!!!"
> "OK, you have control."
> Bzzt.
> "Why didn't you protect me from myself?"
>
>> I'm an engineer.
>
> 0.000029% of the population.
>
>> Give me full control.
>> If I fry my monitor, I have no-one to blame but myself.
>

> Three words: hot McDonalds coffee.

Yes, I've heard of that stupid case. But
McDonalds didn't solve that problem by serving cold coffee.
They put a disclaimer on the lids saying, "Caution: coffee is hot".
A disclaimer should be able to solve this problem too.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlin...@wowway.com>
: :' :
`. `'`
`-

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/963033316.189256512685...@md01.wow.synacor.com

Stephen Powell

Mar 13, 2010, 6:00:01 PM3/13/10
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:13:17 -0500 (EST), John Hasler wrote:
> Stephen Powell writes:
>> But I want a way to override things if the defaults are not to my
>> liking. As I mentioned in another post, there are some things, such
>> as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot be overridden for a
>> plug-and-play monitor.
>
> You _could_ cut off pin 12 on the connector...

Well, I suppose I *could*. But I don't like that solution.
Changing the software to allow overrides is what I want.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlin...@wowway.com>
: :' :
`. `'`
`-

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2117529271.18926321268...@md01.wow.synacor.com

Mark Allums

Mar 13, 2010, 9:50:02 PM3/13/10
On 3/13/2010 4:51 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:13:17 -0500 (EST), John Hasler wrote:
>> Stephen Powell writes:
>>> But I want a way to override things if the defaults are not to my
>>> liking. As I mentioned in another post, there are some things, such
>>> as HorizSync and VertRefresh, that cannot be overridden for a
>>> plug-and-play monitor.
>>
>> You _could_ cut off pin 12 on the connector...
>
> Well, I suppose I *could*. But I don't like that solution.
> Changing the software to allow overrides is what I want.

No need to destroy a cable. Just create an adapter. Pin 12 goes in,
but doesn't come out.*

MAA

* "Roaches check in, but they don't check out."

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4B9C4C30...@allums.com

Stephen Powell

Mar 13, 2010, 10:40:01 PM3/13/10
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:38:40 -0500 (EST), Mark Allums wrote:
> On 3/13/2010 4:51 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>>
>>> You _could_ cut off pin 12 on the connector...
>>
>> Well, I suppose I *could*. But I don't like that solution.
>> Changing the software to allow overrides is what I want.
>>

> No need to destroy a cable. Just create an adapter. Pin 12 goes in,
> but doesn't come out.

Yes, that would be better. I'm sure I would have to hand-make such
a device. I doubt that I could find such a thing at my local computer
store. But still, philosophically, configuration statements should
be able to override probed values.

I've done some digging. Apparently, there is an Option statement
That is valid for at least some drivers:

Option "NoDDC"

that can be put into the "Device" section, but it is not documented
in the man page for xorg.conf. I'll have to play around to see if
I can get it to work. But that will have to wait for tomorrow.
It's time for me to go to bed.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlin...@wowway.com>
: :' :
`. `'`
`-

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/188411216.189559512685...@md01.wow.synacor.com

Paul E Condon

Mar 14, 2010, 12:30:01 AM3/14/10

The option UseBIOS documented in man savage, not in man xorg.conf
There is a list of driver man pages in man xorg.conf

--
Paul E Condon
peco...@mesanetworks.net

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2010031405...@big.lan.gnu

Ron Johnson

Mar 14, 2010, 1:20:01 AM3/14/10
On 2010-03-13 16:44, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:19:12 -0500 (EST), Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 2010-03-13 16:06, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>> Nevertheless, in the unlikely event that I fry my monitor by overriding the
>>> EDID specs, I asked for it, didn't I?
>> Stephen, Stephen, Stephen. There's a butt-load more lawyers than
>> there are engineers, and there's 1500 metric ass loads more stupid
>> people than there are engineers.
>>
>> "I want control!!!"
>> "OK, you have control."
>> Bzzt.
>> "Why didn't you protect me from myself?"
>>
>>> I'm an engineer.
>> 0.000029% of the population.
>>
>>> Give me full control.
>>> If I fry my monitor, I have no-one to blame but myself.
>>
>> Three words: hot McDonalds coffee.
>
> Yes, I've heard of that stupid case. But
> McDonalds didn't solve that problem by serving cold coffee.
> They put a disclaimer on the lids saying, "Caution: coffee is hot".
> A disclaimer should be able to solve this problem too.

People want hot coffee. Only 0.000029% of the population wants to
maybe fry their LCD.

Besides, (probably understating) 95% of people use either Windows or
Mac, and want their LCDs auto-configured.

Manufacturers play the odds, and apparently so do the X Dev Team.
I'd ask them why.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms." Mike Ditka

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4B9C7FE1...@cox.net

Stephen Powell

Mar 14, 2010, 12:40:02 PM3/14/10
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:21:29 -0500 (EST), Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20100313_223702, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> I've done some digging. Apparently, there is an Option statement
>> That is valid for at least some drivers:
>>
>> Option "NoDDC"
>>
>> that can be put into the "Device" section, but it is not documented
>> in the man page for xorg.conf. I'll have to play around to see if
>> I can get it to work. But that will have to wait for tomorrow.
>> It's time for me to go to bed.
>
> The option UseBIOS documented in man savage, not in man xorg.conf
> There is a list of driver man pages in man xorg.conf

Yes, I know. But I'm not talking about the UseBIOS option right now.
I'm talking about the NoDDC option. I did find it documented
on the Internet. For example,
see this link -> http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.0/doc/rendition5.html.
The option was still under development then, and was documented as
a "previews of coming attractions" option. The NoDDC option is referred
to in man savage, but the NoDDC option is not a savage-specific option.
It is a generic option for the "Device" section and should be documented
in man xorg.conf. I have also seen bug reports complaining about the
lack of documentation for the NoDDC option. For example,
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=364610.

The above bug report implies that NoDDC is specific to the s3virge driver,
but it is actually a generic option that apparently works with all
drivers. I just tried it on my machine with the nv driver for an
Nvidia video card. It works great! I can now override the DDC2/EDID-probed
values if I want or need to! But why is the option not documented?
Is that X.Org's version of a disclaimer? The man pages for radeon and
savage allude to it, but don't document it. The man page for rendition
actually documents it, but as a "soon-to-be-implemented feature" rather than
as a production option. Oh well, at least it works.

Sorry to rain on your parade, Ron, -- er, I mean shine sun on your
funeral procession -- but you lose this time.

--

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/354927792.190053912685...@md01.wow.synacor.com