Xfce 4.12 to 4.14: high Xorg CPU usage

Stefan Pietsch

Aug 27, 2019, 9:20:04 AM8/27/19
Dear list,

I upgraded Xfce to 4.14 recently (Debian unstable) and noticed slightly
delayed rendering of UI elements.

Firefox and Thunderbird behave sluggishly and CPU usage by Xorg is
significantly higher as compared to Xfce 4.12.

Did anyone who is using Xfce 4.14 observe similar effects?

Regards,
Stefan

Sven Hartge

Aug 27, 2019, 11:10:05 AM8/27/19
Have you tried switching off compositing via Window Manager Tweaks in
the XFCE settings?

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

Ben Caradoc-Davies

Aug 27, 2019, 4:30:04 PM8/27/19
Does top/htop show any process burning CPU?

I mask the colord service because I do not need it, and after upgrading
from Xfce 4.12 to Xfce 4.14, my session acquired an xiccd process that
sat burning 100% of one CPU (unhappy about not being able to contact
colord?). I disabled it from my Xfce session in Settings / Session and
Startup / Application Autostart, logged in and out, and the problem went
away. I do not save my sessions.

Other than needing to use ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini to force all
Xfce GTK 3 elements to use the correct font size (the setting is ignored
for some elements), everything else works for me as well as in 4.12 and
performance is satisfactory.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <b...@transient.nz>
Director

Stefan Pietsch

Aug 29, 2019, 4:00:05 PM8/29/19
On 27.08.19 17:04, Sven Hartge wrote:
> Stefan Pietsch <s.pi...@e2security.de> wrote:
>
>> I upgraded Xfce to 4.14 recently (Debian unstable) and noticed
>> slightly delayed rendering of UI elements.
>
>> Firefox and Thunderbird behave sluggishly and CPU usage by Xorg is
>> significantly higher as compared to Xfce 4.12.
>
>> Did anyone who is using Xfce 4.14 observe similar effects?
>
> Have you tried switching off compositing via Window Manager Tweaks in
> the XFCE settings?

After disabling display compositing the issue is gone.
Is this a bug or does it work as intended?

Sven Hartge

Aug 30, 2019, 1:40:05 AM8/30/19
I don't know. You have to ask the Xfce mainainers. I'd just file a bug
and let them sort this out.

Stefan Pietsch

Sep 2, 2019, 4:10:04 AM9/2/19
On 27.08.19 22:24, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
> On 28/08/2019 01:01, Stefan Pietsch wrote:
>> I upgraded Xfce to 4.14 recently (Debian unstable) and noticed slightly
>> delayed rendering of UI elements.
>> Firefox and Thunderbird behave sluggishly and CPU usage by Xorg is
>> significantly higher as compared to Xfce 4.12.
>> Did anyone who is using Xfce 4.14 observe similar effects?
>
> Does top/htop show any process burning CPU?

There was no single process burning a CPU core. As I wrote in my answer
to the list, Xfce display compositing caused the load.