Screen goes blank for 1-2 seconds

Pankaj Jangid

Jan 26, 2022, 11:40:05 PM1/26/22
Since I have setup a new hardware - x570 chipset, rx570 GPU - I am
facing a very strange problem. The monitor goes blank for a brief time,
like 1-2s and then comes back. It is connected with the GPU using HDMI
cable.

During that 1-2s, the machine response is fine. Whatever I type during
that time goes there as input, and visible when the monitor comes back.

I don’t want to file any bug report till I have some concrete data. So
my question is - how do I diagnose such an issue and produce some data
for debugging. So that I can hand it over to maintainers.

Regards
Pankaj

David Wright

Jan 27, 2022, 12:00:06 AM1/27/22
Can you provoke the same symptom by wiggling the HDMI plug in the
socket (at either end, but more likely at the computer end)?
These connectors can be unreliable.

Cheers,
David.

Bijan Soleymani

Jan 27, 2022, 12:10:05 AM1/27/22
On 2022-01-26 11:35 p.m., Pankaj Jangid wrote> I don’t want to file any
bug report till I have some concrete data. So
> my question is - how do I diagnose such an issue and produce some data
> for debugging. So that I can hand it over to maintainers.

This one line script will sleep for 0.01 seconds at a time and then
print the current time in milliseconds to a file.

while `true`; do sleep 0.01; date +"%T.%3N" ; done > time.txt

Run that and look at the output in time.txt afterwards to make sure the
system didn't actually stop. (even if it stopped it might still be a
graphics issue, but at least it's another data point).

Output will look like:
23:41:20.670
23:41:20.686
23:41:20.701
23:41:20.715
23:41:20.732
23:41:20.749
23:41:20.766
23:41:20.785
23:41:20.803
23:41:20.821

(due to the overhead of running sleep and date there's more than 0.01
seconds per iteration)

This script will give you the biggest time differences:
perl -e 'while(<>){chomp; $old_time = $time; $time = $_; $old_ms =
$cur_ms ; $_ =~ s/.*[.]//; $cur_ms = $_; $delta = $cur_ms - $old_ms;
$delta = $delta % 1000; if (defined($old_ms)){print "$delta: $old_time
$time\n";}}' < time.txt | sort -n | tail

The output is:
20: 23:50:50.384 23:50:50.404
20: 23:50:51.036 23:50:51.056
20: 23:51:06.262 23:51:06.282
20: 23:51:46.577 23:51:46.597
21: 23:50:42.553 23:50:42.574
21: 23:50:43.999 23:50:44.020
24: 23:50:59.126 23:50:59.150
25: 23:50:41.680 23:50:41.705
25: 23:50:50.192 23:50:50.217
25: 23:50:53.255 23:50:53.280

So in my case the biggest delay was 25ms (at time 23:50:53). If you see
anything longer than 100ms you'll know the system has gotten stuck
during the blank interval.

Bijan

hdv@gmail

Jan 27, 2022, 4:10:06 AM1/27/22
You are not the only one. I see the exact same here. The system this
happens on has an RX560 graphics card. I have been seeing these
blackouts from the start on this configuration (more than 2 years now).

I can confirm it is not a mechanical issue (not of cable's connections,
cable defects, or of the seating of the card in the motherboard). It is
not the display either (I have tried multiple displays). I am almost
sure it is a software issue.

I can also confirm the system does not hang. I've tested this with a
software timer and a request/response loop querying a daemon both
locally and over a wired network.

Grx HdV

Bijan Soleymani

Jan 27, 2022, 4:30:05 AM1/27/22
On 2022-01-27 4:06 a.m., hdv@gmail wrote:
> You are not the only one. I see the exact same here. The system this
> happens on has an RX560 graphics card. I have been seeing these
> blackouts from the start on this configuration (more than 2 years now).

Interesting, I just checked and it turns out I have a:
Sapphire Technology Limited Radeon RX 570 Pulse 4GB

But I don't think I've seen the issue.

Let me know what kernel/drivers (plus exact OS version) you guys are
using and I can try to see if I can reproduce it.

Also let me know how often this happens.

> I can confirm it is not a mechanical issue (not of cable's connections,
> cable defects, or of the seating of the card in the motherboard). It is
> not the display either (I have tried multiple displays). I am almost
> sure it is a software issue.

Are you also connected via HDMI? I think I am using DVI to mini display
port.

> I can also confirm the system does not hang. I've tested this with a
> software timer and a request/response loop querying a daemon both
> locally and over a wired network.

Good to know!

Bijan

Bijan Soleymani

Jan 27, 2022, 4:50:07 AM1/27/22

On 2022-01-27 4:23 a.m., Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> Are you also connected via HDMI? I think I am using DVI to mini display
> port.

Seems the issues happens on windows and on HDMI but not DP:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/ez2c4i/rx_570_screen_randomly_goes_black_during/

Two other cases:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/o1r0y9/screen_goes_to_black_randomly_while_gaming_rx_570/

That one says upgrading the power supply fixed it.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/screen-goes-black-for-3-5-seconds-then-goes-back.3397019/

This one said they had the card replaced.

Anyways I will test with HDMI tomorrow.

Let me know how often it happens, or if there is anything that can be
done to trigger it.

Bijan

hdv@gmail

Jan 27, 2022, 5:10:06 AM1/27/22
On 2022-01-27 10:40, Bijan Soleymani wrote:

> On 2022-01-27 4:23 a.m., Bijan Soleymani wrote:
>> Are you also connected via HDMI? I think I am using DVI to mini
>> display port.

I will have to check when I return home from this assignment in 2 weeks
time, but I am almost certain I am using DP. I seem to remember I didn't
have the appropriate HDMI cable at hand for the resolution I am using
(3840x2160@60Hz).

> Seems the issues happens on windows and on HDMI but not DP:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/ez2c4i/rx_570_screen_randomly_goes_black_during/

I will check if my wet memory is corrupt as soon as I can. Who knows?
Maybe I am using HDMI after all.

> Two other cases:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/o1r0y9/screen_goes_to_black_randomly_while_gaming_rx_570/
>

> That one says upgrading the power supply fixed it.
>
> https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/screen-goes-black-for-3-5-seconds-then-goes-back.3397019/
>

> This one said they had the card replaced.
>
> Anyways I will test with HDMI tomorrow.
>
> Let me know how often it happens, or if there is anything that can be
> done to trigger it.

My guess is about once every week. The display is on for roughly 16
hours each day. There seems to be no discernable relation to "load". At
least not that I could confirm. I haven't found a link to a specific
application either. This system is a general purpose workstation and it
is exposed to most common types of use. I design and create courseware,
which involves running virtual machines with libvirt, coding in several
languages, video editing, graphics editing, sound editing, editing all
kinds of documents, and the standard internet stuff. I haven't seen this
happening more often with any of these uses.

Grx HdV

Bijan Soleymani

Jan 27, 2022, 5:20:06 AM1/27/22
On 2022-01-27 5:00 a.m., hdv@gmail wrote:
> My guess is about once every week. The display is on for roughly 16
> hours each day. There seems to be no discernable relation to "load". At
> least not that I could confirm. I haven't found a link to a specific
> application either. This system is a general purpose workstation and it
> is exposed to most common types of use. I design and create courseware,
> which involves running virtual machines with libvirt, coding in several
> languages, video editing, graphics editing, sound editing, editing all
> kinds of documents, and the standard internet stuff. I haven't seen this
> happening more often with any of these uses.

Thanks for the reply!

This blog post seems to indicate it might be due to the fan not turning
on enough at moderate load by default (it pulses off and on which is not
enough):
https://zarino.co.uk/post/amp-gpu-fan-curve-pop-os-ubuntu/

cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input

Should give temperature:
Mine right now is:
29000

which apparently is 29C.

/sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1

is the power management.

I'll play around tomorrow.

Bijan

hdv@gmail

Jan 27, 2022, 5:40:06 AM1/27/22
Sadly I do not have access to this machine remotely. I do have my own
VPN server, but that does not help when the machine in question is
turned off. ;-)

I'll check the temperature when I am back, and when it happens again.

Grx HdV

Vincent Lefevre

Jan 27, 2022, 5:50:04 AM1/27/22
On 2022-01-27 10:05:16 +0530, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> Since I have setup a new hardware - x570 chipset, rx570 GPU - I am
> facing a very strange problem. The monitor goes blank for a brief time,
> like 1-2s and then comes back. It is connected with the GPU using HDMI
> cable.

I had a similar problem in 2009 with a monitor connected via HDMI to
a Power Mac (not under Linux). This first happened from time to time,
then much more often, i.e. every day. IIRC, there was no issue when
later, this monitor was connected to a Debian laptop via VGA. I sold
the monitor to someone else (and told him about this problem), and he
confirmed the problem with his machine.

So it could be a hardware problem, with this monitor or something
else, possibly specific to HDMI.

I suggest that you try with another machine, another cable, etc. if
possible. Or the same machine with another monitor.

> During that 1-2s, the machine response is fine. Whatever I type during
> that time goes there as input, and visible when the monitor comes back.
>
> I don’t want to file any bug report till I have some concrete data. So
> my question is - how do I diagnose such an issue and produce some data
> for debugging. So that I can hand it over to maintainers.

You might get messages in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file if you're using X.

BTW, with my setup, I regularly get disconnected/connected messages
with 1-2 seconds delay, such as:

[166285.233] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-4: disconnected
[166285.233] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-4: Internal DisplayPort
[166285.233] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DFP-4: 960.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[166285.233] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):
[166286.614] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Samsung U32J59x (DFP-4): connected
[166286.614] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Samsung U32J59x (DFP-4): Internal DisplayPort
[166286.614] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Samsung U32J59x (DFP-4): 960.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[166286.614] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):

I have 2 external monitors, this one connected via HDMI and another
one connected via DisplayPort (no messages in Xorg.0.log for this
other monitor). But I have never noticed any blank time with either
monitor. That's strange.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vin...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>

Vincent Lefevre

Jan 27, 2022, 5:50:05 AM1/27/22
On 2022-01-27 11:41:44 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2022-01-27 10:05:16 +0530, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> > Since I have setup a new hardware - x570 chipset, rx570 GPU - I am
> > facing a very strange problem. The monitor goes blank for a brief time,
> > like 1-2s and then comes back. It is connected with the GPU using HDMI
> > cable.
>
> I had a similar problem in 2009 with a monitor connected via HDMI to
> a Power Mac (not under Linux). This first happened from time to time,
> then much more often, i.e. every day. IIRC, there was no issue when
> later, this monitor was connected to a Debian laptop via VGA. I sold
> the monitor to someone else (and told him about this problem), and he
> confirmed the problem with his machine.

And I had noted that plugging out then in again the HDMI cable on the
monitor side was generally making the problem disappear for some time.

Tim Woodall

Jan 27, 2022, 6:20:05 AM1/27/22
On Thu, 27 Jan 2022, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2022-01-27 11:41:44 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>> On 2022-01-27 10:05:16 +0530, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
>>> Since I have setup a new hardware - x570 chipset, rx570 GPU - I am
>>> facing a very strange problem. The monitor goes blank for a brief time,
>>> like 1-2s and then comes back. It is connected with the GPU using HDMI
>>> cable.
>>
>> I had a similar problem in 2009 with a monitor connected via HDMI to
>> a Power Mac (not under Linux). This first happened from time to time,
>> then much more often, i.e. every day. IIRC, there was no issue when
>> later, this monitor was connected to a Debian laptop via VGA. I sold
>> the monitor to someone else (and told him about this problem), and he
>> confirmed the problem with his machine.
>
> And I had noted that plugging out then in again the HDMI cable on the
> monitor side was generally making the problem disappear for some time.

For a while I was using a mac (running macOS) plugged into a dock with
two HDMI screens connected and I was having this problem occasionally.
The mac was clearly thinking the screens had "gone away" because it
would move windows around. I've now switched to a windows laptop, same
dock, same cables, same monitors and the problem has gone away.

Dan Ritter

Jan 27, 2022, 6:40:05 AM1/27/22
Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> Since I have setup a new hardware - x570 chipset, rx570 GPU - I am
> facing a very strange problem. The monitor goes blank for a brief time,
> like 1-2s and then comes back. It is connected with the GPU using HDMI
> cable.
>
> During that 1-2s, the machine response is fine. Whatever I type during
> that time goes there as input, and visible when the monitor comes back.

I have seen this happen with loose or worn-out video cables.

-dsr-

Pankaj Jangid

Jan 27, 2022, 9:10:04 AM1/27/22
David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu 27 Jan 2022 at 10:05:16 (+0530), Pankaj Jangid wrote:
>> Since I have setup a new hardware - x570 chipset, rx570 GPU - I am
>> facing a very strange problem. The monitor goes blank for a brief time,
>> like 1-2s and then comes back. It is connected with the GPU using HDMI
>> cable.
>
> Can you provoke the same symptom by wiggling the HDMI plug in the
> socket (at either end, but more likely at the computer end)?
> These connectors can be unreliable.

No. This is not happening. In fact I have two GPUs and in total 4 HDMI
ports. In all of them, same symptoms. It happens twice or thrice a day
but sometimes more frequently.

This could be cable problem as pointed out by Dan Ritter. Trying a
different cable for a day.

Pankaj Jangid

Jan 27, 2022, 9:20:05 AM1/27/22
Bijan Soleymani <bi...@psq.com> writes:

> On 2022-01-26 11:35 p.m., Pankaj Jangid wrote> I don’t want to file
> any bug report till I have some concrete data. So
>> my question is - how do I diagnose such an issue and produce some data
>> for debugging. So that I can hand it over to maintainers.
>
> This one line script will sleep for 0.01 seconds at a time and then
> print the current time in milliseconds to a file.
>
> <snip>

Thanks. I’ll use the script.

Pankaj Jangid

Jan 27, 2022, 9:30:06 AM1/27/22
"hdv@gmail" <hdv....@gmail.com> writes:

> You are not the only one. I see the exact same here. The system this
> happens on has an RX560 graphics card. I have been seeing these
> blackouts from the start on this configuration (more than 2 years
> now).
>
> I can confirm it is not a mechanical issue (not of cable's
> connections, cable defects, or of the seating of the card in the
> motherboard). It is not the display either (I have tried multiple
> displays). I am almost sure it is a software issue.
>
> I can also confirm the system does not hang. I've tested this with a
> software timer and a request/response loop querying a daemon both
> locally and over a wired network.

Thanks for confirming.

Slight variation though. I have x570 chipset and RX580 GPU. I wrongly
typed RX570 GPU in the original email. But I guess the driver is same
for the family.

Pankaj Jangid

Jan 27, 2022, 9:30:06 AM1/27/22
Sure. Let me try another cable for a day. I’ll update here.

Pankaj Jangid

Jan 27, 2022, 9:40:05 AM1/27/22
Vincent Lefevre <vin...@vinc17.net> writes:

> So it could be a hardware problem, with this monitor or something
> else, possibly specific to HDMI.
>
> I suggest that you try with another machine, another cable, etc. if
> possible. Or the same machine with another monitor.

I have multiple cables and an extra laptop. Let me try as many
combinations as possible. And report here.

> You might get messages in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file if you're using X.

Where are the Wayland logs? I have a freshly installed Debian 11 and
default is Wayland.

> And I had noted that plugging out then in again the HDMI cable on the
> monitor side was generally making the problem disappear for some time.

The problem timing is very random so I am not sure if I can diagnose
anything by changing ports.

Pankaj Jangid

Jan 27, 2022, 9:40:06 AM1/27/22
Tim Woodall <debia...@woodall.me.uk> writes:

> For a while I was using a mac (running macOS) plugged into a dock with
> two HDMI screens connected and I was having this problem occasionally.
> The mac was clearly thinking the screens had "gone away" because it
> would move windows around. I've now switched to a windows laptop, same
> dock, same cables, same monitors and the problem has gone away.

So this may be a driver issue in macOS and Linux kernel.

Bijan Soleymani

Jan 27, 2022, 10:50:04 AM1/27/22
On 2022-01-27 5:30 a.m., hdv@gmail wrote:

> Sadly I do not have access to this machine remotely. I do have my own
> VPN server, but that does not help when the machine in question is
> turned off. ;-)
>
> I'll check the temperature when I am back, and when it happens again.

I played around a tiny bit.

My GPU temperature when logged in remotely via VNC was 29C.

Logging in on local system GPU went up to high 30s just on the desktop.

I ran a game and initially the temperature went.

pwm1 (the power management state) was 0 (off) until 53C when it got set
to 43.

Temperature went up to 62C, and then dropped to 45C, and then pwm1 went
back to 0.

Temp went back to 53C before the power management kicked in again.

I did:
echo 0 > pwm1_enable

Which apparently maxes the power management as:
pwm1 was now 255

Then I did:
echo 1 > pwm1_enable

This seemed more aggressive than the default setting of 2 on my system.

Looking at the kernel docs:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/hwmon/g762

It seems 1 setting is open mode and 2 is closed mode.

In closed mode it seems there is some feedback mechanism involving the
fan speed.

Undocumented but it seems setting pwm1_enable to 0, just maxes the power
management out.

Turns out it is documented in the kernel source comments:
* 0 : no fan speed control (i.e. fan at full speed)
* 1 : manual fan speed control enabled (use pwm[1-*]) (open-loop)
* 2+: automatic fan speed control enabled (use fan[1-*]_target)
(closed-loop)

Anyways with all this playing around I got my temp down to 21C, when
logged in locally but not running the game.

tl;dr

If anyone has this happen quickly enough you could try setting fan speed
to max (echo 0 > pwm1_enable and check that pwm1 goes to 255) and see if
it fixes it.

Bijan

Pankaj Jangid

Jan 28, 2022, 2:10:05 AM1/28/22
Pankaj Jangid <pan...@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> Dan Ritter <d...@randomstring.org> writes:
>
>> Pankaj Jangid wrote:
>>> Since I have setup a new hardware - x570 chipset, rx570 GPU - I am
>>> facing a very strange problem. The monitor goes blank for a brief time,
>>> like 1-2s and then comes back. It is connected with the GPU using HDMI
>>> cable.
>>
>> I have seen this happen with loose or worn-out video cables.
>
> Sure. Let me try another cable for a day. I’ll update here.

UPDATE:

I have changed the HDMI cable and since last 6hrs I have not faced that
event again. Will update in the thread if it re-appears.

Another thing happened when I was replacing the cable. I heard the
sparking noise in the power socket of monitor. So I tightened it up a
bit. So the loose power socket could also be the culprit in my case.

I am just waiting for another day and then I’ll try the earlier HDMI
cable again.

Pankaj Jangid

Jan 28, 2022, 8:40:04 AM1/28/22
Pankaj Jangid <pan...@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> UPDATE:
>
> I have changed the HDMI cable and since last 6hrs I have not faced that
> event again. Will update in the thread if it re-appears.
>
> Another thing happened when I was replacing the cable. I heard the
> sparking noise in the power socket of monitor. So I tightened it up a
> bit. So the loose power socket could also be the culprit in my case.
>
> I am just waiting for another day and then I’ll try the earlier HDMI
> cable again.

Nope. The problem still exists. I’ll change the power-chord now.

hdv@gmail

Jan 28, 2022, 8:50:05 AM1/28/22
Like I wrote before: I exchanged all non-fixed components (mainly cable,
ports, display, and slot on the mobo). Where that was not possible I
made double-sure there was no mechanical source to the problems (bad
cables, bad seating, corrosion, etc.). The only thing I did not change
was the combination of the mobo and the graphics card. Maybe/probably I
did not exclude the power component as a source. I can't remember
whether I did or not.

I am reasonably sure the problem lies in some form or combination of
software. Sadly, my expertise in that area is insufficient to find out
what it is exactly.

On the other hand: what goes in my case is not necessarily valid in yours.

Grx HdV

Bijan Soleymani

Jan 28, 2022, 9:40:05 AM1/28/22
On 2022-01-28 08:40, hdv@gmail wrote:
> I am reasonably sure the problem lies in some form or combination of
> software. Sadly, my expertise in that area is insufficient to find out
> what it is exactly.

What kernel/OS/driver are you using if it is software I can try to
reproduce since I have a pretty similar card.

> On the other hand: what goes in my case is not necessarily valid in
> yours.

In case it is is due to overheating this script will log temperature,
power management and fan settings.

#!/bin/bash
cd /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon0
while `true`;
    do date;
    for x in fan1_enable fan1_input fan1_target pwm1 pwm1_enable
temp1_input;
        do echo -n "$x: "; cat $x;
    done;
    echo; sleep 1;
done

Output will be the following about once a second:

Fri 28 Jan 2022 09:28:12 AM EST
fan1_enable: 0
fan1_input: 1714
fan1_target: 1714
pwm1: 0
pwm1_enable: 2
temp1_input: 36000

Also you can max out the fan to see if that helps:

echo 0 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1_enable

(If you can pwm1_enable after it will show 1 and not 0, but if you look
at pwm1 it will be at max of 255).

Bijan

hdv@gmail

Jan 28, 2022, 10:20:06 AM1/28/22
I am (currently) on

5.15.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.15.5-2 (2021-12-18) x86_64 GNU/Linux

and

xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu

if I am not mistaken. Sorry, I can't check it from here.

About the fan: I seem to remember I had to install amdgpu-fan (needed to
look that up, forgot the name) when I got this setup. Not sure if it
still is needed or that the driver can control the fan reliably
nowadays. I need to check that out too when I get home.

Grx HdV

Bijan Soleymani

Jan 28, 2022, 10:50:06 AM1/28/22
On 2022-01-28 10:16, hdv@gmail wrote:
> About the fan: I seem to remember I had to install amdgpu-fan (needed
> to look that up, forgot the name) when I got this setup. Not sure if
> it still is needed or that the driver can control the fan reliably
> nowadays. I need to check that out too when I get home.

I've had my card since January 2020 and have not needed amdgpu-fan or
similar software, and it has just worked with default settings from
kernel drivers.

I would check amdgpu-fan settings to adjust more aggressively or maybe
uninstall and try settings fan to max and see if that solves the issue.

Bijan

hdv@gmail

Jan 28, 2022, 11:00:06 AM1/28/22
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

P.S. Apologies for the PM. I accidentally used the wrong shortcut.

Grx HdV

Andrew M.A. Cater

Jan 28, 2022, 11:00:06 AM1/28/22
On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 04:16:19PM +0100, hdv@gmail wrote:
> On 2022-01-28 15:31, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> > On 2022-01-28 08:40, hdv@gmail wrote:
> > > I am reasonably sure the problem lies in some form or combination of
> > > software. Sadly, my expertise in that area is insufficient to find
> > > out what it is exactly.
> >
> > What kernel/OS/driver are you using if it is software I can try to
> > reproduce since I have a pretty similar card.
> >
> > Also you can max out the fan to see if that helps:
> >
> > echo 0 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1_enable
> >
> > (If you can pwm1_enable after it will show 1 and not 0, but if you look
> > at pwm1 it will be at max of 255).
> >
> > Bijan
> >

> I am (currently) on
>
> 5.15.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.15.5-2 (2021-12-18) x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> and
>
> xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
>
> if I am not mistaken. Sorry, I can't check it from here.

So - Bookworm / Debian testing?

Are you able to reproduce this on Debian stable and kernel 5.10?

> Grx HdV

Wherever possible, it's easier if you are using Debian stable: more people
will hae experience / be running that at any one time.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater

hdv@gmail

Jan 28, 2022, 11:10:05 AM1/28/22
On 2022-01-28 16:53, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> Wherever possible, it's easier if you are using Debian stable: more people
> will hae experience / be running that at any one time.
>
> All the very best, as ever,
>
> Andy Cater

I know. But testing is more convenient for me. I need to test current
software for the courseware I write. Stable is perfectly fine, but not
if you want to trail the leading edge a bit more closely. Sid is to
close to the edge for me though.

I've been running testing for close to 25 years now. In the early days
breakage was a recurring thing, but nowadays that is quite rare. Up to
now I've always been able to solve any trouble. My time as a sysadmin
still proves to be useful when I need to do that. ;-)

Grx HdV

Andrew M.A. Cater

Jan 28, 2022, 3:40:06 PM1/28/22
There's definitely something to be said, if you can, for running a "testing/
sid" distribution in a VM - the hardware requirements are usually constrained
/ understood" and, if the worst comes to the worst, you can supply
a VM image to somebody saying "there's the entire thing you need
against which I wrote my courseware"

This is very general advice, of course, and everyone's situation varies.
The formal security support for testing is not necessarily there and you
can find times when there are informal freezes, long lasting package
transitions rendering packages uninstallable, or, of course, the
longer freeze before stable release.

A VM also has the ability to constrain the software used and costs little
to rebuild. For myself, I'd always build a full VM rather than a container -
again, people's needs vary and everyone's situation is different.

Pankaj Jangid

Feb 6, 2022, 11:10:05 AM2/6/22
Pankaj Jangid <pan...@codeisgreat.org> writes:

> Since I have setup a new hardware - x570 chipset, rx580 GPU - I am
> facing a very strange problem. The monitor goes blank for a brief time,
> like 1-2s and then comes back. It is connected with the GPU using HDMI
> cable.
>
> During that 1-2s, the machine response is fine. Whatever I type during
> that time goes there as input, and visible when the monitor comes back.

Further diagnosing the problem, I could find out these messages in the
log immediately after the screen goes blank:

[31915.382609] [drm] PCIE GART of 256M enabled (table at 0x000000F400000000).
[31915.475968] [drm] UVD and UVD ENC initialized successfully.
[31915.575975] [drm] VCE initialized successfully.
[31915.583044] amdgpu 0000:2d:00.0: [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes

[32051.104088] [drm] PCIE GART of 256M enabled (table at 0x000000F400000000).
[32051.197629] [drm] UVD and UVD ENC initialized successfully.
[32051.297636] [drm] VCE initialized successfully.
[32051.304703] amdgpu 0000:2d:00.0: [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes

This looks like a driver issue. Where should I report this problem?

Pankaj Jangid

Feb 9, 2022, 8:10:06 AM2/9/22
I have upgraded kernel to latest stable from upstream (cp
/boot/config-5.10.0-11-amd64 .config && make oldconfig && make deb-pkg),
and the problem is gone.

The above messages are still coming but there is no frequent blank
screen.

hdv@gmail

Feb 9, 2022, 3:00:06 PM2/9/22
>> cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input
>>
>> Should give temperature:
>> Mine right now is:
>> 29000
>>
>> which apparently is 29C.
>>
>> /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1
>>
>> is the power management.

I returned home yesterday.

It seems the temperature here isn't out of the ordinary:

$ cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon1/temp1_input
37000

(The machine has been on for 4 hours now.)

I read Pankaj's problem disappeared after upgrading his kernel to 5.10.
I don't think that would help here as I have been on the 5.15 series for
quite some time now.

I still think it is a firmware problem as I am reasonably sure I've
eliminated all hardware factors from the equation.

Ah well. It isn't a serious issue. I can live with it. Maybe sometime in
the future it will be solved.

Grx HdV