Setup xterm to use TrueType Fonts in .Xdefaults

Csanyi Pal

Feb 20, 2011, 12:00:03 PM2/20/11

I'm trying to setup in .Xdefaults for xterm to use TrueType Fonts so I
don't must use every time the 'control' key and pointer button three to
set this up in the VT Fonts menu.

I want also to setup the geometry for xterm and enable blinking cursor
too.

Lines that I tried to use for this setup in .Xdefaults doesn't works
when I log out/in into X Window system, but only works when I run the
command 'xrdb -merge .Xdefaults':

xterm*geometry: 90x40
xterm*renderFont: default
xterm*cursorBlink: true

Also when I start another xterm window after run the command
'xrdb -merge .Xdefaults' I can't use the xterm menus anymore (control
key and mouse buttons) because the menus become so large that it can't
be displayed.

I'm not sure whether is the renderFont option the right option for
setting up xterm for TrueType Fonts?

--
Regards, Paul
<http://csanyi-pal.info>

Csanyi Pal

Feb 20, 2011, 12:10:02 PM2/20/11
Csanyi Pal <csan...@gmail.com> writes:

> Lines that I tried to use for this setup in .Xdefaults doesn't works
> when I log out/in into X Window system, but only works when I run the
> command 'xrdb -merge .Xdefaults':
>
> xterm*geometry: 90x40
> xterm*renderFont: default
> xterm*cursorBlink: true

If I use .Xresources file instead then I get the right geometry and the
blinking cursor when I log out/in into X Window system.

> Also when I start another xterm window after run the command
> 'xrdb -merge .Xdefaults' I can't use the xterm menus anymore (control
> key and mouse buttons) because the menus become so large that it can't
> be displayed.

Using .Xresources file the menus doesn't works too after log out/in into
X Window system.

--
Regards, Paul
<http://csanyi-pal.info>

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/878vxa6...@debian-asztal.excito

Joe Riel

Feb 20, 2011, 1:30:01 PM2/20/11

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:06:56 +0100
Csanyi Pal <csan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Csanyi Pal <csan...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Lines that I tried to use for this setup in .Xdefaults doesn't works
> > when I log out/in into X Window system, but only works when I run
> > the command 'xrdb -merge .Xdefaults':
> >
> > xterm*geometry: 90x40
> > xterm*renderFont: default
> > xterm*cursorBlink: true
>
> If I use .Xresources file instead then I get the right geometry and
> the blinking cursor when I log out/in into X Window system.

I believe .Xdefaults is no longer used. The system
file /etc/X11/Xsession assigns

USRRESOURCES=$HOME/.Xresources,

which is what is used [by /etc/X11/Xsession.d/30x11-common_xresources]
to merge your resource file.

--
Joe Riel

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20110220102145.01895146@gauss

Chris Jones

Feb 20, 2011, 3:30:01 PM2/20/11
On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:15:08AM EST, Csanyi Pal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to setup in .Xdefaults for xterm to use TrueType Fonts so I
> don't must use every time the 'control' key and pointer button three to
> set this up in the VT Fonts menu.
>
> I want also to setup the geometry for xterm and enable blinking cursor
> too.
>
> Lines that I tried to use for this setup in .Xdefaults doesn't works
> when I log out/in into X Window system, but only works when I run the
> command 'xrdb -merge .Xdefaults':
>
> xterm*geometry: 90x40
> xterm*renderFont: default
> xterm*cursorBlink: true

try (untested):

xterm.VT100.renderFont: default

Not sure what font ‘default’ points to..

> Also when I start another xterm window after run the command
> 'xrdb -merge .Xdefaults' I can't use the xterm menus anymore (control
> key and mouse buttons) because the menus become so large that it can't
> be displayed.

Depending on how you start X (startx?).. you could add your ‘xrdb -merge’
comnand to your ~/.xinitrc.

> I'm not sure whether is the renderFont option the right option for
> setting up xterm for TrueType Fonts?

You could also try ‘faceName’.

Check ‘man xterm’.

cj

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2011022020...@pavo.local

Csanyi Pal

Feb 20, 2011, 4:30:01 PM2/20/11
Hi Chris,

Chris Jones <cjns...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:15:08AM EST, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to setup in .Xdefaults for xterm to use TrueType Fonts so
>> I don't must use every time the 'control' key and pointer button
>> three to set this up in the VT Fonts menu.
>>
>> I want also to setup the geometry for xterm and enable blinking
>> cursor too.
>>
>> Lines that I tried to use for this setup in .Xdefaults doesn't works
>> when I log out/in into X Window system, but only works when I run the
>> command 'xrdb -merge .Xdefaults':
>>
>> xterm*geometry: 90x40
>> xterm*renderFont: default
>> xterm*cursorBlink: true
>
> try (untested):
>
> xterm.VT100.renderFont: default

This doesn't work for me.

> Not sure what font ‘default’ points to..
>
>> Also when I start another xterm window after run the command
>> 'xrdb -merge .Xdefaults' I can't use the xterm menus anymore (control
>> key and mouse buttons) because the menus become so large that it
>> can't be displayed.
>
> Depending on how you start X (startx?).. you could add your
> ‘xrdb -merge’ comnand to your ~/.xinitrc.

I'm using xdm for starting X.

>> I'm not sure whether is the renderFont option the right option for
>> setting up xterm for TrueType Fonts?
>
> You could also try ‘faceName’.

These lines bellow did the trick: :)

xterm*geometry: 140x43