how do i configure lynx browser as default browser for html

1 view

jindam, vani

Sep 27, 2022, 9:40:06 PM9/27/22
hello debian-users,

good morning !?!?!

i have installed debian bullseye on userland
app. i have disabled recomnend packages for my
entire packages. i have installed openbox. when
i click "web browser" it does not launch
"lynx browser". i have changed x-www-browser
to lynx. how do i configure my system to
use lynx browser for html files, open links,
open in external viewer, etc..?

$sudo update-alternatives --config www-browser
There is only one alternative in link group www-browser (providing /usr/bin/www-browser): /usr/bin/lynx
Nothing to configure.

$ update-alternatives --list x-www-browser
/usr/bin/lynx
/usr/bin/palemoon

$ update-alternatives --get-selections | grep browser
gnome-www-browser auto /usr/bin/palemoon
www-browser auto /usr/bin/lynx
x-www-browser auto /usr/bin/lynx

$ sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-www-browser x-www-browser /usr/bin/lynx 50
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/lynx to provide /usr/bin/x-www-browser (x-www-browser) in auto mode
jindam@localhost:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
There are 2 choices for the alternative x-www-browser (providing /usr/bin/x-www-browser).

Selection Path Priority Status
* 0 /usr/bin/lynx 50 auto mode
1 /usr/bin/lynx 50 manual mode
2 /usr/bin/palemoon 40 manual mode

p.s.
* after reading couple of online resources, i
thought best to ask here, bcoz update-alternatives
seems to be debian way
* i did ask @ https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/how-do-i-configure-lynx-browser-as-default-browser-for-all-html-related-things-4175717193/

regards,
jindam, vani

toots: @jinda...@c.im
others: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jindam_vani

Jude DaShiell

Sep 27, 2022, 10:50:06 PM9/27/22
A line like:
export BROWSER=lynx
in /etc/profile may help.

Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.

Charles Curley

Sep 28, 2022, 12:10:06 AM9/28/22
On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 01:23:27 +0000
"jindam, vani" <jinda...@disroot.org> wrote:

> i have installed debian bullseye on userland
> app. i have disabled recomnend packages for my
> entire packages. i have installed openbox. when
> i click "web browser" it does not launch
> "lynx browser". i have changed x-www-browser
> to lynx. how do i configure my system to
> use lynx browser for html files, open links,
> open in external viewer, etc..?

You don't indicate your desktop, which may be significant.

For one thing, there may be other alternatives you might need to set:

root@jhegaala:~# ls /etc/alternatives/*www*browser*
/etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
root@jhegaala:~# ll /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Oct 10 2021 /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser -> /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable*
root@jhegaala:~# ll /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Oct 10 2021 /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser -> /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable*
root@jhegaala:~#

In addition, XFCE (which I use) has its Default Applications app
separate from alternatives. Right click on the desktop -> Applications
-> Settings -> Default Applications Your desktop will likely have some
such.

And there is also the Debian sensible browser.

root@jhegaala:~# ll $(which sensible-browser )
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1230 Jan 12 2021 /usr/bin/sensible-browser*
root@jhegaala:~# file $(which sensible-browser )
/usr/bin/sensible-browser: POSIX shell script, ASCII text executable

It depends in part on the BROWSER environment variable, which on my
system is not set. It manages to produce Vivaldi.

There is one I haven't figured out yet. If you mouse over a URL in
xfce4-terminal, the terminal will underline the URL. Right click, and
the menu will offer to open the link. On my system, that still brings up
Netscape.

And there are probably other ways to launch a browser I haven't yet
stumbled across.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/

jindam, vani

Sep 28, 2022, 1:30:06 AM9/28/22
> A line like:
> export BROWSER=lynx
> in /etc/profile may help.

i have updated ~/.profile, but it is not working

> You don't indicate your desktop, which may be significant.
i am trying to use debian with least
packages. i dont have any desktop
environment. i have installed base system
+ mc, default-jre, openbox, palemoon, lynx.

my cli:
jindam@localhost:~$ ls /etc/alternatives/*www*browser*
/etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser
/etc/alternatives/www-browser
/etc/alternatives/www-browser.1.gz
/etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
jindam@localhost:~$ ls -al /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
lrwxrwxrwx 1 jindam jindam 13 Sep 27 20:07 /etc/alternatives/x-ww
w-browser -> /usr/bin/lynx
jindam@localhost:~$ ls -al /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser
lrwxrwxrwx 1 jindam jindam 17 Sep 27 19:13 /etc/alternatives/gnom
e-www-browser -> /usr/bin/palemoon
jindam@localhost:~$ ls -al $(which sensible-browser )
-rwxr-xr-x 1 jindam jindam 1230 Jan 13 2021 /usr/bin/sensible-br
owser

Jude DaShiell

Sep 28, 2022, 3:00:06 AM9/28/22
It may be necessary to disable SENSIBLE-BROWSER. echo $SENSIBLE-BROWSER
to see if it's loaded.

Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty:
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.

jindam, vani

Sep 28, 2022, 4:30:05 AM9/28/22
September 28, 2022 at 12:22 PM, "Jude DaShiell" wrote:

> It may be necessary to disable SENSIBLE-BROWSER. echo $SENSIBLE-BROWSER
> to see if it's loaded.
$ echo $SENSIBLE-BROWSER
it shows "-BROWSER"

$SENSIBLE-BROWSER
launches lynx in terminal

Jude DaShiell

Sep 28, 2022, 5:10:06 AM9/28/22
Interesting, what does echo $"-browser" return? What does echo
"$-BROWSER" return?
I'm on a system other than debian now otherwise I'd have answers for you
on both counts.

Stefan Krusche

Sep 28, 2022, 6:00:05 AM9/28/22
Am Mittwoch, 28. September 2022 schrieb jindam, vani:
> > It may be necessary to disable SENSIBLE-BROWSER. echo
> > $SENSIBLE-BROWSER to see if it's loaded.
>
> $ echo $SENSIBLE-BROWSER
> it shows "-BROWSER"

Shell variables can't contain "-", so this is probably a typo. Then the
shell replaces "$SENSIBLE" with nothing because it is not set and
prints the string "-BROWSER".

$ echo $SENSIBLE-BROWSER
-BROWSER

Try "_" (underscore) instead. That way the string "SENSIBLE_BROWSER" is
interpreted by the shell as one whole variable name.

$ echo $SENSIBLE_BROWSER

It ist also good to copy the command and the output completey into mails
so everybody can exactly see what happened.

HTH

Kind regards,
Stefan

Stefan Krusche

Sep 28, 2022, 6:00:05 AM9/28/22
Am Mittwoch, 28. September 2022 schrieb Jude DaShiell:
> Interesting, what does echo $"-browser" return?  What does echo
> "$-BROWSER" return?
> I'm on a system other than debian now otherwise I'd have answers for
> you on both counts.

$ echo "$-browser"
himBHsbrowser

$ echo "$-BROWSER"
himBHsBROWSER

$ echo "$-"
himBHs

Same explanation as in my previous mail: "$-" is a shell variable
containing the options with which the shell has been invoked. "BROWSER"
or "browser" remain as a string. Both gets printed.

Kind regards,
Stefan

jindam, vani

Sep 28, 2022, 6:10:05 AM9/28/22
> Interesting, what does echo $"-browser" return? What does echo
> "$-BROWSER" return?

jindam@localhost:~$ -BROWSER
-bash: -BROWSER: command not found

jindam, vani

Sep 28, 2022, 7:10:05 AM9/28/22
> Try "_" (underscore) instead. That way the string "SENSIBLE_BROWSER" is
> interpreted by the shell as one whole variable name.

$ echo $SENSIBLE_BROWSER

its blank

> It ist also good to copy the command and the output completey into mails
> so everybody can exactly see what happened.

pearl of wisdom, must always remember.

Greg Wooledge

Sep 28, 2022, 7:30:06 AM9/28/22
On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 05:06:33AM +0000, jindam, vani wrote:
> i am trying to use debian with least
> packages. i dont have any desktop
> environment. i have installed base system
> + mc, default-jre, openbox, palemoon, lynx.

So you use openbox... and what, startx? Or some Display Manager (DM)?
This matters, because the ~/.profile file will not be read if you login
with a DM.

Also, how are you launching your "default browser"? Please be precise
and specific. Does openbox have some sort of "browser button" that
launches a mystery browser? Are you clicking underlined URLs in a
terminal emulator (if so, which one)? Clicking links in a GUI mail user
agent (if so, which one)? Something else?

The sad fact is that Linux does not *have* a single unified concept of
a "default web browser" the way some other operating systems might.
Each individual Desktop Environment or application therefore has its *own*
concept of "default browser" and its own way of launching it.

I also find it quite strange that you're inter-mixing GUI and terminal
web browsers (e.g. palemoon and lynx) and thinking that you can drop one
of them into a configuration slot that expects the other. Trying to
launch lynx (for example) from a GUI environment without being inside
a terminal emulator is going to fail.

If you need to launch lynx from that kind of environment, you might need
to write a wrapper script that looks something like:

#!/bin/sh
exec xterm -e lynx "$@"

... and then choose that wrapper script as your GUI web browser, in
whatever configuration thing you're working with.

jindam, vani

Sep 28, 2022, 9:20:06 AM9/28/22
> So you use openbox... and what, startx? Or some Display Manager (DM)?
i have installed debian on userland app.
trying to use or familiarise with linux.
i think i am not using any DM.

> Also, how are you launching your "default browser"? Please be precise
> and specific.
right clicking provides box with terminal
emulator, web browser, debian, etc..
of openbox menu. clicking browser fails
with message "failed to execute child
process "x-www-browser" (no such file
or directory). my issue is not with this
message.

> Are you clicking underlined URLs in a
> terminal emulator (if so, which one)? Clicking links in a GUI mail user
> agent (if so, which one)? Something else?
i am trying to launch browser button
on wikipedia wpcleaner. it was working for
palemoon.

> I also find it quite strange that you're inter-mixing GUI and terminal web browsers (e.g. palemoon and lynx) and thinking
> that you can drop one of them into a configuration slot that expects the other.
so, i am mixing things.

my assumption of configuring a default
browser will not work w/o some kind of
wrapper on linux.

Greg Wooledge

Sep 28, 2022, 9:40:05 AM9/28/22
On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 01:01:05PM +0000, jindam, vani wrote:
> > So you use openbox... and what, startx? Or some Display Manager (DM)?
> i have installed debian on userland app.

I don't know what that means. Is that some sort of virtualization
environment? Are you running Debian as a "guest OS" inside of some
other OS?

Under normal operation, Debian is booted directly by your machine's
firmware/BIOS. The Linux kernel is executed with various parameters by
the boot loader (GRUB or equivalent). The Linux kernel probes hardware,
then launches the Debian userspace software suite.

Once booting is completed, under normal operation, you will either be on
a text console, with a login: prompt (white text on a black background
usually), OR you will be in a graphical environment, with some sort of
GUI login window.

That GUI login window is called a Display Manager.

If you don't have one of those -- if you login directly on the text
console -- then you would usually run the "startx" command in order to
launch the X11 graphical environment, with openbox and so on.

The question was which one of these you're doing -- startx, or a GUI login.

If your "userland app" bypasses BOTH of these and does some sort of
"autologin" (where you never type your username or password, but instead
just go directly into a GUI environment, like a kiosk mode), then that's
a third possibility.

Knowing which of these things you're doing would be helpful.

> > Also, how are you launching your "default browser"? Please be precise
> > and specific.
> right clicking provides box with terminal
> emulator, web browser, debian, etc..
> of openbox menu. clicking browser fails
> with message "failed to execute child
> process "x-www-browser" (no such file
> or directory). my issue is not with this
> message.

x-www-browser is managed by Debian's alternatives system.

unicorn:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Jan 12 2018 /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser -> /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable*

You can configure this, to get that menu option to work. I believe
other people have already discussed the "update-alternatives" command.

> > Are you clicking underlined URLs in a
> > terminal emulator (if so, which one)? Clicking links in a GUI mail user
> > agent (if so, which one)? Something else?
> i am trying to launch browser button
> on wikipedia wpcleaner. it was working for
> palemoon.

I have no idea what "wikipedia wpcleaner" is either. Is it an application
that you installed? Does it have its own configuration menu/files, or
does it have instructions for how to configure which browser it launches?

The Wanderer

Sep 28, 2022, 9:40:05 AM9/28/22
It's apparently an application:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WPCleaner

--
The Wanderer

progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

signature.asc

Greg Wooledge

Sep 28, 2022, 9:50:05 AM9/28/22
On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 09:35:39AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> It's apparently an application:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WPCleaner

Hmm. The documentation isn't great.

On <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WPCleaner/Installation>
it says:

For Mac and Linux, there's a preference file for WPCleaner that can
be copied over to another computer that uses Linux or Mac.

Um... OK, great. WHERE is that file? What's it called?

If the OP can't figure this out on their own, it might be time for them
to seek help from a dedicated WPCleaner support community. People who
actually know and use the application might be able to answer questions
about it, like "how do you configure which web browser it launches
when you press the XYZ button on the ABC page".

Fred

Sep 28, 2022, 10:20:05 AM9/28/22
The (right click) openbox menu comes from an .xml file in
$HOME/.config/openbox. You can edit this so the menu entries will start
the programs you want. The default menu.xml probably is defferent from
what you want.

Best regards,
Fred

David Wright

Sep 28, 2022, 11:00:06 AM9/28/22
On Wed 28 Sep 2022 at 05:06:33 (+0000), jindam, vani wrote:
> > A line like:
> > export BROWSER=lynx
> > in /etc/profile may help.
>
> i have updated ~/.profile, but it is not working
>
> > You don't indicate your desktop, which may be significant.
> i am trying to use debian with least
> packages. i dont have any desktop
> environment. i have installed base system
> + mc, default-jre, openbox, palemoon, lynx.

So I think you mentioned userland.app or something.
Does that mean you're running all this on a mobile phone?
Its wikipedia says "UserLAnd does not require a root account."
That puts quite a new complexion on the thread here called
"how disable apt downloads w/o sudo".

It might be worth being a bit more revealing about the
system that you're running so that you don't waste other
people's time, and your own, with red herrings.

Next, openbox. A couple of clicks gets me to:

http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Getting_started

which bears a link to:

http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Autostart

(in §Using Openbox without a desktop environment (The
lightweight approach)).

Have you read that? Our guesses based on a standard Debian
configuration won't get you very far.

It also has a section called "Starting Openbox without
the graphical log in". Have you read that? You could
save a lot of back and forth by posting more detail,
and you'll get better advice before people give up
bothering with your problem.

So you run WPCleaner; I take it that is a graphical application.
Are you running lynx to check that its display of some wiki
conforms to expectations. Again, it might help to reveal this.

> my cli:
> jindam@localhost:~$ ls /etc/alternatives/*www*browser*
> /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser
> /etc/alternatives/www-browser
> /etc/alternatives/www-browser.1.gz
> /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
> jindam@localhost:~$ ls -al /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 jindam jindam 13 Sep 27 20:07 /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser -> /usr/bin/lynx
> jindam@localhost:~$ ls -al /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 jindam jindam 17 Sep 27 19:13 /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser -> /usr/bin/palemoon
> jindam@localhost:~$ ls -al $(which sensible-browser )
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 jindam jindam 1230 Jan 13 2021 /usr/bin/sensible-browser

Cheers,
David.

Curt

Sep 28, 2022, 12:20:05 PM9/28/22
On 2022-09-28, David Wright <deb...@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> So I think you mentioned userland.app or something.
> Does that mean you're running all this on a mobile phone?
> Its wikipedia says "UserLAnd does not require a root account."
> That puts quite a new complexion on the thread here called
> "how disable apt downloads w/o sudo".

Userland is an open source app for running Linux on an Android device.
It's in the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tech.ula&hl=en_US&gl=PL

It's conceivable that Debian on Userland on Android might not function
quite in the manner to which we are accustomed. Then again, who knows?

jindam, vani

Sep 28, 2022, 1:20:05 PM9/28/22
> Hmm. The documentation isn't great.
registration is not compulsory,
anybody can edit it, feel free to contribute.

> If the OP can't figure this out on their own, it might be time for them
> to seek help from a dedicated WPCleaner support community. People who
> actually know and use the application might be able to answer questions
> about it, like "how do you configure which web browser it launches
> when you press the XYZ button on the ABC page".
i did ask dev & it was fixed for palemoon.
if XYZ button contains url, so instead of
choosing default configured package (lynx),
but depends on the package (wpcleaner)
config. strange...

jindam, vani

Sep 29, 2022, 1:10:06 AM9/29/22
> That puts quite a new complexion on the thread here called
> "how disable apt downloads w/o sudo".
> It might be worth being a bit more revealing about the
> system that you're running so that you don't waste other
> people's time, and your own, with red herrings.

as normal user i expected apt to show **some
kind** of warning without providing
root password installation of package
will fail.

> It's conceivable that Debian on Userland on Android might not function
> quite in the manner to which we are accustomed. Then again, who knows?

again as normal user: i expect os to
behave same, especially when you configure
or make a package as default, in my case
all html links whether present in gui
or cli OR apt stopping without root
password.

Greg Wooledge

Sep 29, 2022, 7:30:06 AM9/29/22
On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 04:47:37AM +0000, jindam, vani wrote:
> as normal user i expected apt to show **some
> kind** of warning without providing
> root password installation of package
> will fail.

unicorn:~$ apt install sl
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?

Are you even being serious at this point? I'm getting major troll vibes
now.

The Wanderer

Sep 29, 2022, 7:40:06 AM9/29/22
From the context of the post (the Android "Userland" app, or whatever
it's actually called, I haven't gone looking for it), I infer that when
Debian is installed inside of such an app, apt may behave differently in
this regard - possibly because that app handles its permissions
differently from what will be seen either on real hardware or on a
proper hypervisor.

Which, if true, would turn this into another case of someone expecting
too much of a tool. We could debate about what is and is not reasonable
for apt to do in order to detect whether or not it's root, and beyond
that, whether or not it'd be reasonable for apt to refuse to make
changes if run as non-root but with write access to the relevant
locations - but I don't think there'd be very much point to such a
debate.
signature.asc

debia...@howorth.org.uk

Sep 29, 2022, 7:40:06 AM9/29/22
> > That puts quite a new complexion on the thread here called
> > "how disable apt downloads w/o sudo".
> > It might be worth being a bit more revealing about the
> > system that you're running so that you don't waste other
> > people's time, and your own, with red herrings.
>
> as normal user i expected apt to show **some
> kind** of warning without providing
> root password installation of package
> will fail.
>
> > It's conceivable that Debian on Userland on Android might not
> > function quite in the manner to which we are accustomed. Then
> > again, who knows?
>
> again as normal user: i expect os to
> behave same, especially when you configure
> or make a package as default, in my case
> all html links whether present in gui
> or cli OR apt stopping without root
> password.

That may or may not be a reasonable expectation but regardless, if
debian on userland is behaving differently to 'native' debian then you
need to discuss your concerns with whatever userland support facilities
there are, not here on the debian list.

Andrew M.A. Cater

Sep 29, 2022, 7:50:05 AM9/29/22
On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 04:47:37AM +0000, jindam, vani wrote:
> > That puts quite a new complexion on the thread here called
> > "how disable apt downloads w/o sudo".
> > It might be worth being a bit more revealing about the
> > system that you're running so that you don't waste other
> > people's time, and your own, with red herrings.
>
> as normal user i expected apt to show **some
> kind** of warning without providing
> root password installation of package
> will fail.
>
> > It's conceivable that Debian on Userland on Android might not function
> > quite in the manner to which we are accustomed. Then again, who knows?

If this is not stock Debian - if it's running inside Android, if it's another
packaged Debian variant - essentially, we can't help you. Without more
information from you, we will continue to guess wildly.

Reference to palemoon suggests to me this isn't stock Debian since stock
Debian would include Firefox as default browser.

There are hints in this thtread as to where to configure your default
browser. Update-alternatives is probably your friend here. If all of this
is just to run the Wikipedia cleaner application, then you may well want a
GUI browser anyway to check how it looks to others in a GUI. (On the assumption
that you are not otherwise dependent on a text-mode browser for web
accessibility needs.)

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater

The Wanderer

Sep 29, 2022, 8:10:06 AM9/29/22
On 2022-09-29 at 07:49, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> There are hints in this thtread as to where to configure your
> default browser. Update-alternatives is probably your friend here. If
> all of this is just to run the Wikipedia cleaner application, then
> you may well want a GUI browser anyway to check how it looks to
> others in a GUI. (On the assumption that you are not otherwise
> dependent on a text-mode browser for web accessibility needs.)

To be fair, it used to be - and, by some lights, still is - good
practice to test a Website in multiple types of browser to make sure it
works to a suitable standard in all of them.

I certainly wouldn't want to discourage people from including text-mode
Web browsers in that type of testing.
signature.asc

Andrew M.A. Cater

Sep 29, 2022, 8:40:06 AM9/29/22
On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 08:02:54AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2022-09-29 at 07:49, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>
> > There are hints in this thtread as to where to configure your
> > default browser. Update-alternatives is probably your friend here. If
> > all of this is just to run the Wikipedia cleaner application, then
> > you may well want a GUI browser anyway to check how it looks to
> > others in a GUI.
>
> To be fair, it used to be - and, by some lights, still is - good
> practice to test a Website in multiple types of browser to make sure it
> works to a suitable standard in all of them.
>
> I certainly wouldn't want to discourage people from including text-mode
> Web browsers in that type of testing.

Hi Wanderer,

Yes, absolutely: as someone peripherally involved in accessibility and
disability, this is completely correct and desirable. If lynx is the
only text-mode browser you test, that's fine - links and elinks also
exist and may produce different results. If you yourself are constrained to
use a text mode browser for other reasons, then you are already very
aware that a graphical browser may be very different.

Wikipedia is fairly heavily formatted, as are most wikis so it shouldn't
make a lot of difference.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater

jindam, vani

Sep 29, 2022, 9:10:06 AM9/29/22
> unicorn:~$ apt install sl
> E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
> E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?
so, debian on device **warns** & **refuses**
to download package.
without thinking twice created an
issue at upstream (1).

(1) https://github.com/CypherpunkArmory/UserLAnd-Assets-Debian/issues/31

David Wright

Sep 29, 2022, 10:50:05 AM9/29/22
On Thu 29 Sep 2022 at 12:42:30 (+0000), jindam, vani wrote:
> > unicorn:~$ apt install sl
> > E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
> > E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?
> so, debian on device **warns** & **refuses**
> to download package.
> without thinking twice created an
> issue at upstream (1).
>
> (1) https://github.com/CypherpunkArmory/UserLAnd-Assets-Debian/issues/31

Hardly an issue. Just do:

$ apt -s install dbus-x11
NOTE: This is only a simulation!
apt needs root privileges for real execution.
Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
dbus-x11
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Inst dbus-x11 (1.12.20-2 Debian:11.5/stable [amd64])
Conf dbus-x11 (1.12.20-2 Debian:11.5/stable [amd64])
$

Sometimes it's worth thinking twice.

Cheers,
David.

David Wright

Sep 29, 2022, 10:50:05 AM9/29/22
On Wed 28 Sep 2022 at 17:01:41 (+0000), jindam, vani wrote:
> > Hmm. The documentation isn't great.
> registration is not compulsory,
> anybody can edit it, feel free to contribute.
>
> > If the OP can't figure this out on their own, it might be time for them
> > to seek help from a dedicated WPCleaner support community. People who
> > actually know and use the application might be able to answer questions
> > about it, like "how do you configure which web browser it launches
> > when you press the XYZ button on the ABC page".
> i did ask dev & it was fixed for palemoon.
> if XYZ button contains url, so instead of
> choosing default configured package (lynx),
> but depends on the package (wpcleaner)
> config. strange...

It seems reasonable to me.

If I were using WPCleaner for what I suggested earlier,
I'd want it to open wiki pages in lynx, so that I could
check them; I'd set WPCleaner to use lynx as its browser.

As it happens, I do set up lynx as the browser that mutt
uses for reading HTML emails, mainly because of its
-localhost option. I configure mutt with its own mailcap
to do that.

However, I don't use lynx for day-to-day browsing,
so I don't want to change the /default/ BROWSER for
the entire system to anything other than FireFox.

Because you post so little information, I don't know
whether your situation is similar to mine or not.

Cheers,
David.

jindam, vani

Sep 29, 2022, 1:20:05 PM9/29/22
> Hardly an issue. Just do:

> $ apt -s install dbus-x11
> NOTE: This is only a simulation!
> apt needs root privileges for real execution.
> Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
> so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> dbus-x11
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Inst dbus-x11 (1.12.20-2 Debian:11.5/stable [amd64])
> Conf dbus-x11 (1.12.20-2 Debian:11.5/stable [amd64])

> Sometimes it's worth thinking twice.

i do understand thats the above command
merely simulates, but not install.

my output is also same, strange.....
jindam@localhost:~$ apt -s install dbus-x11
NOTE: This is only a simulation!
apt needs root privileges for real execution.
Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situat
ion!
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
dbus-x11
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Inst dbus-x11 (1.12.20-2 Debian:11.5/stable [armhf])
Conf dbus-x11 (1.12.20-2 Debian:11.5/stable [armhf])