Firefox context menu and tooltip on wrong display?

Roberto C. Sánchez

May 17, 2022, 9:00:05 PM5/17/22
I have recently decommissioned my main desktop workstation and switched
to using my laptop for daily work (rather than only when travelling). I
acquired a USB-C "docking station" and have connected two external
monitors (which were formerly attached to my desktop machine).

For some strange reason, when there is a Firefox window in the second or
third monitor context menus (from right-click) and tooltips do not
appear on the same screen as the Firefox window, but rather on the
primary monitor (the laptop integrated monitor). I tried searching, but
did not find anything recent or useful. Has anyone experienced this
same issue? I did not experience this at all on my desktop machine with
dual monitors (both the laptop where I am experiencing this and the
desktop where I did not experience this are running bullseye), so I am
curious if anyone has encountered this issue and if so how to resolve
it.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez

Linux-Fan

May 18, 2022, 4:10:06 PM5/18/22
This sounds familiar to me. I think I have observed this behaviour in the
past albeit never really reproducible. I thought it might be related to
starting on another screen than the browser is later actually used on, but I
could not trigger it with some simple tests here.

Back when it appeared I mostly did not bother trying to fix it because for
me it was only ever temporary in some situations and I could still control
the rouge menus with the keyboard and avoid moving the mouse cursor all over
the screens.

Just a datapoint, no solution though :(

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö

[...]

Roberto C. Sánchez

May 18, 2022, 4:20:06 PM5/18/22
Thanks, I tend to favor keyboard shortcuts, so this isn't as bad as it
could be for me.

> Just a datapoint, no solution though :(

It's too bad that there is not a straightforward way to pinpoint this.

Roberto C. Sánchez

May 19, 2022, 10:40:05 PM5/19/22
For those following along, a little while ago the problem "went away".
That is, context menus, tooltips, and application menus now all show in
the expected places in Firefox. I really hope that this is not a
temporary situation and that whatever the problem was has just magically
resolved itself. :shrug:

Roberto C. Sánchez

May 20, 2022, 12:00:05 PM5/20/22
On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 10:31:44PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> For those following along, a little while ago the problem "went away".
> That is, context menus, tooltips, and application menus now all show in
> the expected places in Firefox. I really hope that this is not a
> temporary situation and that whatever the problem was has just magically
> resolved itself. :shrug:

And this morning the problem returned.

--
Roberto C. Sánchez