mail headers not set (cf question re tar)

jr

Sep 23, 2022, 4:00:06 PM9/23/22
hi,

a single reply re the mail headers issue.

On Thursday, 22 September 2022 at 16:30:05 UTC+1, Max Nikulin wrote:
> Debian mail list archive has a rare mhonarc configuration that adds
> reply to list action (usually only reply to sender is available) and
> these mailto: links contain proper In-Reply-To value
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2022/09/msg00584.html
>
> Even groups.google.com is unable to render proper discussion tree, its
> representation is a list.
>
> Mail user agents may intentionally suppress threads based on heuristics
> to avoid combining unrelated discussions having subjects like "question"
> or "problem".

thanking all for the observations + information. I have had a look in
settings of Gmail, my "mua", and cannot find an obvious (any!) place
where headers could be set (and haven't the knowledge, anyhow). so, I
won't try and start any more threads for now (for which sorry) and
hope that someone can/will supply Gmail specific instructions "how
to"; to that end please write an email with 'mail headers' in the
subject, thank you.

Thomas Schmitt

Sep 23, 2022, 4:30:05 PM9/23/22

jr wrote:
> I [...] cannot find an obvious (any!) place where headers could be set [...]
> I [...] hope that someone can/will supply Gmail specific instructions

The normal way to participate is to subscribe your mail address at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/
or by sending a mail to
debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with
Subject: subscribe

Then you get the mails from the list delivered to your mailbox from where
your mail program is supposed to be able to reply, adding the appropriate
headers.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

The Wanderer

Sep 23, 2022, 7:20:06 PM9/23/22
I think the question was about a way/place/method to manually add such
headers from within Gmail, so that they can be present even when
replying to a message from within the digest, so that replies can be
made correctly while subscribed only to the digest and not to the full
mailing list.

I would not be surprised if there were not any such thing. Gmail, like
Web-mail in general, does not have a good reputation when it comes to
exposing the technical details of E-mail properly.

--
The Wanderer

progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

signature.asc

Charles Curley

Sep 23, 2022, 10:10:07 PM9/23/22
On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 19:18:35 -0400
The Wanderer <wand...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I think the question was about a way/place/method to manually add such
> headers from within Gmail, so that they can be present even when
> replying to a message from within the digest, so that replies can be
> made correctly while subscribed only to the digest and not to the full
> mailing list.

Are those headers even in the digest for each email (not the digest
email itself)?

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/

Max Nikulin

Sep 27, 2022, 12:50:06 PM9/27/22
On 24/09/2022 02:37, jr wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 September 2022 at 16:30:05 UTC+1, Max Nikulin wrote:
>> Debian mail list archive has a rare mhonarc configuration that adds
>> reply to list action (usually only reply to sender is available) and
>> these mailto: links contain proper In-Reply-To value
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2022/09/msg00584.html
>>
>> Even groups.google.com is unable to render proper discussion tree, its
>> representation is a list.
>>
>> Mail user agents may intentionally suppress threads based on heuristics
>> to avoid combining unrelated discussions having subjects like "question"
>> or "problem".
>
> thanking all for the observations + information. I have had a look in
> settings of Gmail, my "mua", and cannot find an obvious (any!) place
> where headers could be set (and haven't the knowledge, anyhow). so, I
> won't try and start any more threads for now (for which sorry) and
> hope that someone can/will supply Gmail specific instructions "how
> to"; to that end please write an email with 'mail headers' in the
> subject, thank you.

Sorry, I rarely use gmail web UI, in my case "mailto:" links are handled
by thunderbird. If the browser app is the only mail user agent available
on your chromebook and it can not handle In-Reply-To link parameter then
it is sour. Since you mentioned groups.google.com, does it set proper
headers when reply to particular message is sent using this service?
However it looks like a kind vendor lock to their own mail list archive
due to unsatisfactory support of primary external archives.