ogg123, ALSA and Pulseaudio

Vincent Lefevre

May 15, 2022, 6:30:05 PM5/15/22
In the recent past, I could run ogg123 with the alsa device, and the
sound was played via Pulseaudio. But this almost no longer works.
The cause may be that I had run the latest VLC (3.0.17.4-2).
Otherwise I don't see what could have broken the audio system.

Using Pulseaudio directly (e.g. with default_driver=pulse in
/etc/libao.conf or with "-d pulse") avoids the issue. But I'm
wondering why ALSA no longer works as expected. In particular,
no ogg123 line appears in the Playback tab of pavucontrol.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vin...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>

Charles Kroeger

May 17, 2022, 1:10:06 AM5/17/22
from a google search:

In Debian 10, PipeWire 0.2. 5 is available, and should not need to manually
be installed, as it's usually brought in as a dependency by applications
that make use of it. In Debian 11, PipeWire 0.3. 19 is available, and can
be experimentally used as a substitute for the ALSA userspace library,
PulseAudio, and JACK. Apr 5, 2022

then read about WirePlumber.

it is time consuming and there are many published instructions, some better
than others.

WirePlumber and Pipewire are getting frequent upgrades and for me they are
increasingly reliable and the sound is really good.

my System
GTK 3.24.33 / GLib 2.72.1
Locale: en_US.UTF-8 (charset: UTF-8)
Operating System: Linux 5.17.0-2-amd64 (x86_64)

Vincent Lefevre

May 17, 2022, 6:50:05 AM5/17/22
On 2022-05-17 00:43:32 -0400, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> from a google search:
>
> In Debian 10, PipeWire 0.2. 5 is available, and should not need to manually
> be installed, as it's usually brought in as a dependency by applications
> that make use of it. In Debian 11, PipeWire 0.3. 19 is available, and can
> be experimentally used as a substitute for the ALSA userspace library,
> PulseAudio, and JACK. Apr 5, 2022

I do not want to use pipewire, because of

and this is a blocking bug for me.

Note: I'm using Debian/unstable.

Charles Kroeger

May 17, 2022, 3:50:06 PM5/17/22
>Note: I'm using Debian/unstable.

I'm using Bookworm as well.

I was just happy at first that I had some reliable sound again. but I don't
use my desktop with Bluetooth or headphones as you've described in your
bug report.

Pipewire is waning and WirePlumber is waxing. I'll put it that way.

Dan Ritter

May 17, 2022, 4:10:05 PM5/17/22
I think you mean PulseAudio is waning and Pipewire is waxing;
WirePlumber is a session manager for Pipewire.

-dsr-

Charles Kroeger

May 18, 2022, 1:20:05 AM5/18/22
> PulseAudio is waning and Pipewire is waxing;
> WirePlumber is a session manager for Pipewire.

ah, just so, I am glad it is.

Amn

May 21, 2022, 3:50:05 PM5/21/22

This conversation touches the core of an issue I am having when trying to get my wireless speaker to work.
So my question is, do I need to remove bluetooth.* files in rder t install PulseAudio?
Thanks in advance.