Netgen installation problem

Gary L. Roach

May 24, 2022, 5:50:05 PM5/24/22

Hi all,

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 11
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.78.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.10.0-13-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD CAICOS

I have installed netgen from the Debian Bullseye package library. When I run the program I get the following error message:

gary@debian:~/Netgen/build$ netgen
NETGEN-6.2-dev
Developed by Joachim Schoeberl at
2010-xxxx Vienna University of Technology
2006-2010 RWTH Aachen University
1996-2006 Johannes Kepler University Linz
Including OpenCascade geometry kernel
Including MPI version 3.1
Error in Tcl-Script:
result = couldn't load file "libgui.so": libgui.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Make sure to set environment variable NETGENDIR to directory containing ng.tcl

There is not ng.tcl or libgui.so on my system so it is hard to set NETGENDIR when I can't find the files. I used locate to try to find the file but no luck. Any suggestions?

Gary R

to...@tuxteam.de

May 25, 2022, 1:40:05 AM5/25/22
On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 02:40:09PM -0700, Gary L. Roach wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 11
> KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.5
> KDE Frameworks Version: 5.78.0
> Qt Version: 5.15.2
> Kernel Version: 5.10.0-13-amd64
> OS Type: 64-bit
> Processors: 4 × AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor
> Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
> Graphics Processor: AMD CAICOS
>
> I have installed netgen from the Debian Bullseye package library. When I run
> the program I get the following error message:
>
> /gary@debian:~/Netgen/build$ netgen//
> //NETGEN-6.2-dev//
> //Developed by Joachim Schoeberl at//
> //2010-xxxx Vienna University of Technology//
> //2006-2010 RWTH Aachen University//
> //1996-2006 Johannes Kepler University Linz//
> //Including OpenCascade geometry kernel//
> //Including MPI version 3.1//
> //Error in Tcl-Script://
> //result = couldn't load file "libgui.so": libgui.so: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory//
> //
> //Make sure to set environment variable NETGENDIR to directory containing
> ng.tcl/
>
> /
> /
>
> /There is not ng.tcl or libgui.so on my system so it is hard to set
> NETGENDIR when I can't find the files. I used locate to try to find the file
> but no luck. Any suggestions?/

tomas@trotzki:~$ apt-file search libgui.so
libnglib-6.2: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/netgen/libgui.so.6.2
libnglib-6.2: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/netgen/libgui.so.6.2.1905
libnglib-dev: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/netgen/libgui.so
libsight: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sight/gui-0.1/libgui.so.0
libsight: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sight/gui-0.1/libgui.so.0.1

Next stop seems to be to check whether libnglib-6.2 is installed in
your system and whether /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/netgen/libgui.so.6.2
is there and points to something existent, too.

Cheers
signature.asc

Gary L. Roach

May 25, 2022, 1:50:05 PM5/25/22

Thanks for the reply Tomas,

Running the apt-file search libgui.so search now gets the exact same results as your search. Unfortunately, running netgen still gives the same error message. Now what?

Gary R

to...@tuxteam.de

May 25, 2022, 2:20:05 PM5/25/22
On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 10:48:28AM -0700, Gary L. Roach wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Tomas,
>
> Running the _/apt-file search libgui.so/_ search now gets the exact same
> results as your search. Unfortunately, running netgen still gives the same
> error message. Now what?

Is libgui.so there? It's probably a symlink. Is it pointing
to something?

Cheers
signature.asc

Anssi Saari

May 25, 2022, 2:30:05 PM5/25/22
"Gary L. Roach" <garyro...@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the reply Tomas,
>
> Running the apt-file search libgui.so search now gets the exact same results as your search. Unfortunately,
> running netgen still gives the same error message. Now what?

Maybe a hint: apt-file search doesn't list files that're installed so
the advice from Tomas is still valid.

However, it did actually show one problem:

libnglib-dev: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/netgen/libgui.so

Meaning, you need libnglib-dev for libgui.so. And then you need to run
netgen the way the packaged .desktop file does it:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/netgen NETGENDIR=/usr/share/netgen /usr/bin/netgen

At least I got a GUI window after that. I don't know how to actually use
netgen though.

Gary L. Roach

May 26, 2022, 2:40:05 PM5/26/22
Thanks Anssi

I made sure that the PATH's matched what you did and ran the program
from the desktop. It worked fine. It is interesting that running netgen
from the command line doesn't work but the icon on the desktop does. I
never noticed this before but may have just missed it. After 20 years of
using Debian you would think that I would have stumbled across this
before. Thanks again. Problem solved.

Gary R

On 5/25/22 11:20 AM, Anssi Saari wrote:
> NETGENDIR=/usr/share/netgen /usr/bin/netgen

Charles Curley

May 26, 2022, 3:30:26 PM5/26/22
On Thu, 26 May 2022 11:31:53 -0700
"Gary L. Roach" <garyro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is interesting that running netgen
> from the command line doesn't work but the icon on the desktop does.

Often when I see this I will go through the relevant desktop file and
look for clues. In this case, it is probably netgen.desktop. So
something like:

less -X $(locate netgen.desktop)

(Assuming there's only one copy of netgen.desktop on the system.)

You've already solved your problem, but this may help some future
reader.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com