(testing) Mousewheel superfast after recent reinstall

Tobias Klausmann

Jan 21, 2023, 11:10:06 AM1/21/23

I recently reinstalled my laptop with Debian testing and since then the
mouse wheel is almost unsual. I used it (on Openbox) to switch between
desktops, and it used to be that one "click" (not as in middle mb, but
ratcheting of the mousewheel) would switch by one desktop. Now it
switches through all four of them (or more, it's hard to say). Just
dropping the mouse from <1cm will often switch desktop. Middle-clicking
a link in the browser is night impossible since the tiniest movement of
the wheel will move the page (and thus the link).

The same mouse works fine on an existing Bookworm install (that I
carefully haven't updated). An older model of the same mouse will work
just fine (even using the same cable).

Fortunately I have /var/lib/dpkg/status of the old install, so I tried
backdating the following packages (d/l from snapshot.d.o, the versions
listed below are my "old" versions that were on the old install and
worked fine):

gir1.2-gtk-4.0_4.8.2+ds-4
libgegl-0.4-0_0.4.38-1+b1
libgegl-common_0.4.38-1_all.deb
libgtk-4-1_4.8.2+ds-4
libgtk-4-bin_4.8.2+ds-4
libgtk-4-dev_4.8.2+ds-4
libpipewire-0.3-0_0.3.63-4
libpipewire-0.3-dev_0.3.63-4
libpipewire-0.3-modules_0.3.63-4
libspa-0.2-dev_0.3.63-4
libspa-0.2-modules_0.3.63-4
libxkbcommon-dev_1.4.1-1
libxkbcommon-x11-0_1.4.1-1
libxkbcommon0_1.4.1-1
libxkbregistry0_1.4.1-1
pipewire-alsa_0.3.63-4
pipewire-bin_0.3.63-4
pipewire-pulse_0.3.63-4
pipewire_0.3.63-4
wayland-protocols_1.27-1_all.deb
xserver-common_21.1.5-1_all.deb
xserver-xorg-core_21.1.5-1
xserver-xorg-legacy_21.1.5-1

These are not the only pkg differences, but seemed to me to be the most
likely to be at fault.

Arch is amd64, hardware is a Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 8. Mouse is a
Logitech G903. (lsusb says "Bus 001 Device 008: ID 046d:c091 Logitech,
Inc. G903 LIGHTSPEED Wireless Gaming Mouse w/ HERO", I will attach full
lsusb output). Messing with the mouse resolution via its hardware
buttons doesn't change the wheel behavior but does work or the normal
curosr movement speed/dpi.

Google shows various pages of people using imwheel and xinput to mess
with mouse settings but a) that never was necessary before and b) none
of the approaches I tried seemed to work). Neither did trying to change
degrees per click on systemd/udev's hwdb.

I am completely out fo ideas what to try, so all suggestions short of
"buy a new mouse" are welcome.

Please CC me in replies since I am not subscribed to the list.

Best & TIA,
Tobias
lsusb_output.txt

Tobias Klausmann

Jan 25, 2023, 12:20:06 PM1/25/23
Reported both as a Debian kernel issue:

(since I thought for a while that it was that)

And as a libinput issue:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/852

I dunno what the proper fix would be, or where, but I am sure it can be
figured out.

Posting here so the reports are discoverable for people that have the
same issue.

Best,
Tobias