osinfo-query os missing debian Bullseye

185 views
Skip to first unread message

john doe

unread,
Dec 19, 2021, 12:10:04 PM12/19/21
to
Debians,

As far as I can tell, the command 'osinfo-query os' does not
support/list 'debian11'.

I need to fire up a Bullseye VM what is the best way forward?


P.S.

Host and guest are Bullseye.

--
John Doe

Dan Ritter

unread,
Dec 19, 2021, 12:40:05 PM12/19/21
to
john doe wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the command 'osinfo-query os' does not
> support/list 'debian11'.
>
> I need to fire up a Bullseye VM what is the best way forward?

What does osinfo-query have to do with installing a VM?

Pick a VM technology: kvm is built-in, but there are other
choices. libvirtd can manage most of them. You can get a
complete VM image to run, or build one via debootstrap or
another tool.

What are you trying to do?

-dsr-

David

unread,
Dec 19, 2021, 6:50:05 PM12/19/21
to
On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 at 04:36, Dan Ritter <d...@randomstring.org> wrote:
> john doe wrote:

> > As far as I can tell, the command 'osinfo-query os' does not
> > support/list 'debian11'.

> > I need to fire up a Bullseye VM what is the best way forward?

> What does osinfo-query have to do with installing a VM?

I expect it will be something like seen here:
https://wiki.debian.org/KVM?highlight=%28os-variant%29

'virt-install' takes an '--os-variant' argument. The known
values of that argument are queried by an 'osinfo-query'
command.

$ osinfo-query os | awk -e '/debian/ {print $1}'
debian1.1
debian1.2
debian1.3
debian10
debian2.0
debian2.1
debian2.2
debian3
debian3.1
debian4
debian5
debian6
debian7
debian8
debian9
debiantesting

$ cat /etc/debian_version
11.2

$ dpkg -S osinfo-query
libosinfo-bin: /usr/bin/osinfo-query
libosinfo-bin: /usr/share/man/man1/osinfo-query.1.gz

$ apt list --installed libosinfo-bin
Listing... Done
libosinfo-bin/stable,now 1.8.0-1 amd64 [installed]

I just use '--os-variant debiantesting' until someone
gives better advice.

john doe

unread,
Dec 20, 2021, 8:50:05 AM12/20/21
to
According to (1), the better advice would be to use 'debian10'!!! :)

In short, the issue has been fixed upstream and will make it's way in
the Debian package in the next little while.

1)
https://listman.redhat.com/archives/libvirt-users/2021-December/msg00057.html

--
John Doe

David

unread,
Dec 20, 2021, 9:10:04 AM12/20/21
to
On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 at 00:44, john doe <johndo...@mail.com> wrote:
> On 12/20/2021 12:44 AM, David wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 at 04:36, Dan Ritter <d...@randomstring.org> wrote:
> >> john doe wrote:

> > I just use '--os-variant debiantesting' until someone
> > gives better advice.

> According to (1), the better advice would be to use 'debian10'!!! :)
> 1)
> https://listman.redhat.com/archives/libvirt-users/2021-December/msg00057.html

Thanks for the update, but I don't see any suggestion of "better"
in that discussion.

Your question there does not even mention that 'debiantesting'
is a possible option, so it may not have been considered by
your respondent. It appears to me that they've simply told you
that it's ok to use what you said was available, without any
suggestion of it being "better" than something which was
never mentioned.

I suspect none of this is particularly important anyway.
It has been like this for some years, with the stable Debian
release not appearing in the libosinfo that it contains,
and it does not seem to cause any problems that I've noticed.
And it seems likely that 'debiantesting' will reliably point to
the next release. But what it actually does and whether
it matters I have no idea.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages