Problem updating debian 6

374 views
Skip to first unread message

David Seira

unread,
May 18, 2012, 3:20:02 AM5/18/12
to
Hi,

I'm trying to update and upgrade a debian 6 system. I've run the "aptitude update" command and the output is:

Des:1 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg [912 B]
Des:2 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en [912 B]
99% [2 Translation-en bzip2 0] [Esperando las cabeceras] [Esperando las cabeceras]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en                  
Des:3 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-es [912 B]        
66% [3 Translation-es bzip2 0] [Conectando a ftp.es.debian.org (82.194.78.250)] [Esperando las cabeceras]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-es                                         
Des:4 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release.gpg [912 B]                                       
Des:5 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release.gpg [912 B]
Des:6 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main Translation-en [912 B]
66% [6 Translation-en bzip2 0] [Conectando a ftp.es.debian.org (82.194.78.250)] [Esperando las cabeceras]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main Translation-en                                 
Des:7 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main Translation-es [912 B]                       
57% [7 Translation-es bzip2 0] [Conectando a ftp.es.debian.org (82.194.78.250)] [Esperando las cabeceras]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main Translation-es                                 
Des:8 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release [912 B]                                                   
Err http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release                                  
  
Des:9 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release [912 B]              
Err http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release    
  
Des:10 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en [912 B]
59% [10 Translation-en bzip2 0] [Conectando a security.debian.org (128.101.240.212)]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en                 
Des:11 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-es [912 B]      
54% [11 Translation-es bzip2 0] [Conectando a security.debian.org (128.101.240.212)]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-es                 
Des:12 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release [912 B]                   
Err http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release
  
Descargados 10,9 kB en 1seg. (7429 B/s).
W: Se produjo un error durante la verificación de las firmas. El repositorio no está actualizado y se utilizarán los ficheros de índice antiguos. El error GPG es: http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release: Las siguientes firms fueron inválidas: NODATA 1 NODATA 2

W: Se produjo un error durante la verificación de las firmas. El repositorio no está actualizado y se utilizarán los ficheros de índice antiguos. El error GPG es: http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release: Las siguientes firms fueron inválidas: NODATA 1 NODATA 2

W: Se produjo un error durante la verificación de las firmas. El repositorio no está actualizado y se utilizarán los ficheros de índice antiguos. El error GPG es: http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release: Las siguientes firms fueron inválidas: NODATA 1 NODATA 2

I don't understand this error. I also have another servers with the same distro and the update process was ok. I've tried cleaning the packages list (dpkg --clear-avail) but it doesn't work.

I've seen that the "apt-key list" output is like this:

/etc/apt/trusted.gpg
--------------------
pub   1024D/F42584E6 2008-04-06 [caducó: 2012-05-15]
uid                  Lenny Stable Release Key <debian-...@lists.debian.org>

pub   4096R/55BE302B 2009-01-27 [caduca: 2012-12-31]
uid                  Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (5.0/lenny) <ftpm...@debian.org>

pub   2048R/6D849617 2009-01-24 [caduca: 2013-01-23]
uid                  Debian-Volatile Archive Automatic Signing Key (5.0/lenny)

pub   4096R/B98321F9 2010-08-07 [caduca: 2017-08-05]
uid                  Squeeze Stable Release Key <debian-...@lists.debian.org>

pub   4096R/473041FA 2010-08-27 [caduca: 2018-03-05]
uid                  Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (6.0/squeeze) <ftpm...@debian.org>


Anyone know what is the problem? How can I fix it?

Thanks,
David

Andrei POPESCU

unread,
May 18, 2012, 3:50:02 AM5/18/12
to
On Vi, 18 mai 12, 09:13:05, David Seira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to update and upgrade a debian 6 system. I've run the "aptitude
> update" command and the output is:

[...]

> Anyone know what is the problem? How can I fix it?

First I would try with a different mirror.

Kind regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
signature.asc

David Seira

unread,
May 18, 2012, 5:40:02 AM5/18/12
to
Hi Andrei,

I've tried to change the mirror but with the same problem. Furthermore, if I try to upgrade the system it shows me the next error:


I don't know what is the problem with the bzip2:

bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file

Any idea?

Thanks,
David


2012/5/18 Andrei POPESCU <andreim...@gmail.com>

T Elcor

unread,
May 18, 2012, 9:20:03 AM5/18/12
to
--- On Fri, 5/18/12, David Seira <david...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: David Seira <david...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Problem updating debian 6
> To: "debian-user" <debia...@lists.debian.org>
> Date: Friday, May 18, 2012, 2:33 AM
> Hi Andrei,
> I've tried to change the mirror but with the
> same problem. Furthermore, if I try to upgrade the system it
> shows me the next error:
> E: Failed to download http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/o/openssl/libssl-dev_0.9.8o-4squeeze13_amd64.deb:

I'm having a problem updating wheezy, perhaps those problems are related. It's been going on for several days now:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/05/msg01689.html


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1337346984.389....@web121903.mail.ne1.yahoo.com

David Seira

unread,
May 21, 2012, 3:00:02 AM5/21/12
to
I still having this problem. It seems like a problem with the repository but I've tried to change it with the same result; I've tried with the UK and Spain repositories.

Has anyone the same problems?

Thanks,
David

2012/5/18 T Elcor <tel...@yahoo.com>

Chris Bannister

unread,
May 21, 2012, 1:00:02 PM5/21/12
to
[Please don't top post!]

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 08:50:03AM +0200, David Seira wrote:
> I still having this problem. It seems like a problem with the repository
> but I've tried to change it with the same result; I've tried with the UK
> and Spain repositories.
>
> Has anyone the same problems?

No.

What is output of following commands:

grep -v \^# /etc/apt/sources.list

ls -al /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

apt-get update


--
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people
who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
oppressing." --- Malcolm X


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120521165102.GH24726@tal

David Seira

unread,
May 22, 2012, 6:20:01 AM5/22/12
to
Hi Chris,

As I put in the first post the aptitude update output is:

Des:1 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg [912 B]
Des:2 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en [912 B]
99% [2 Translation-en bzip2 0] [Esperando las cabeceras] [Esperando las cabeceras]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en                  
Des:3 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-es [912 B]        
66% [3 Translation-es bzip2 0] [Conectando a ftp.es.debian.org (82.194.78.250)] [Esperando las cabeceras]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.

Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-es                                         
Des:4 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release.gpg [912 B]                                       
Des:5 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release.gpg [912 B]
Des:6 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main Translation-en [912 B]
66% [6 Translation-en bzip2 0] [Conectando a ftp.es.debian.org (82.194.78.250)] [Esperando las cabeceras]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.

Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main Translation-en                                 
Des:7 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main Translation-es [912 B]                       
57% [7 Translation-es bzip2 0] [Conectando a ftp.es.debian.org (82.194.78.250)] [Esperando las cabeceras]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.

Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main Translation-es                                 
Des:8 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release [912 B]                                                   
Err http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release                                  
  
Des:9 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release [912 B]              
Err http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release    
  
Des:10 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en [912 B]
59% [10 Translation-en bzip2 0] [Conectando a security.debian.org (128.101.240.212)]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.

Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en                 
Des:11 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-es [912 B]      
54% [11 Translation-es bzip2 0] [Conectando a security.debian.org (128.101.240.212)]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.

Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-es                 
Des:12 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release [912 B]                   
Err http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release
  
Descargados 10,9 kB en 1seg. (7429 B/s).
W: Se produjo un error durante la verificación de las firmas. El repositorio no está actualizado y se utilizarán los ficheros de índice antiguos. El error GPG es: http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release: Las siguientes firms fueron inválidas: NODATA 1 NODATA 2
W: Se produjo un error durante la verificación de las firmas. El repositorio no está actualizado y se utilizarán los ficheros de índice antiguos. El error GPG es: http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release: Las siguientes firms fueron inválidas: NODATA 1 NODATA 2
W: Se produjo un error durante la verificación de las firmas. El repositorio no está actualizado y se utilizarán los ficheros de índice antiguos. El error GPG es: http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release: Las siguientes firms fueron inválidas: NODATA 1 NODATA 2

The ouput for "grep -v \^# /etc/apt/sources.list" is:

deb http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
deb-src http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
deb-src http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main

And the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory is empty.

It seems a problem with the repository but I've tried with several of them and the result is the same.

Thanks,
David

2012/5/21 Chris Bannister <cbann...@slingshot.co.nz>

Chris Bannister

unread,
May 22, 2012, 9:00:01 AM5/22/12
to

[Please read http://catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html]

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:10:14PM +0200, David Seira wrote:
> Hi Chris,

> As I put in the first post the aptitude update output is:

For testing purposes I'd like to see the output of

LC=C apt-get update

The LC=C is because this is an English list. :)

> The ouput for "grep -v \^# /etc/apt/sources.list" is:
>
> deb http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
> > deb-src http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
> > deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> > deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> > deb http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
> > deb-src http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main

Is that just copy 'n' paste problems or is there a ">" at the begining
of each line?

I know my repository works:
---------------------------------------------------------
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main

deb http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
----------------------------------------------------------

Just substitute squeeze for wheezy

> And the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory is empty.

That's fine.

> It seems a problem with the repository but I've tried with several of them
> and the result is the same.

That's why I'd like to see the output using apt-get. I know that works,
and I don't use aptitude but there was some talk about aptitude "playing
up" while trying to update.

Is *every* squeeze user having trouble with aptitude?

--
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people
who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
oppressing." --- Malcolm X


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120522125251.GD25963@tal

David Seira

unread,
May 22, 2012, 10:40:01 AM5/22/12
to
Hi Chris,

2012/5/22 Chris Bannister <cbann...@slingshot.co.nz>
>
>
> [Please read http://catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html]
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:10:14PM +0200, David Seira wrote:
> > Hi Chris,
>
> > As I put in the first post the aptitude update output is:
>
> For testing purposes I'd like to see the output of
>
> LC=C apt-get update

The result in english (sorry) is:

Get:1 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg [912 B]
Get:2 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en [912 B]
99% [2 Translation-en bzip2 0 B] [Waiting for headers] [Waiting for
headers]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en
Get:3 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-es [912 B]
66% [3 Translation-es bzip2 0 B] [Connecting to ftp.es.debian.org
(82.194.78.250)] [Waiting for headers]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2
file.
Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-es
Get:4 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release.gpg [912 B]
Get:5 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release.gpg [912 B]
Get:6 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main
Translation-en [912 B]
66% [6 Translation-en bzip2 0 B] [Connecting to ftp.es.debian.org
(82.194.78.250)] [Waiting for headers]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2
file.
Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main
Translation-en
Get:7 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main
Translation-es [912 B]
57% [7 Translation-es bzip2 0 B] [Connecting to ftp.es.debian.org
(82.194.78.250)] [Waiting for headers]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2
file.
Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main
Translation-es
Get:8 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release [912 B]
Err http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release

Get:9 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release [912 B]
Err http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release

Get:10 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en [912 B]
59% [10 Translation-en bzip2 0 B] [Connecting to security.debian.org
(128.31.0.36)]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en
Get:11 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-es
[912 B]
54% [11 Translation-es bzip2 0 B] [Connecting to security.debian.org
(128.31.0.36)]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-es
Get:12 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release [912 B]
Err http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release

Fetched 10.9 kB in 1s (7872 B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository
is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error:
http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release: The following signatures
were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2

W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository
is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error:
http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release: The following
signatures were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2

W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository
is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error:
http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release: The following
signatures were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/Release
W: Failed to fetch
http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze-updates/Release
W: Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/dists/squeeze/updates/Release
W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.


>
> The LC=C is because this is an English list. :)
>
> > The ouput for "grep -v \^# /etc/apt/sources.list" is:
> >
> > deb http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
> > > deb-src http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
> > > deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> > > deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> > > deb http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
> > > deb-src http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
>
> Is that just copy 'n' paste problems or is there a ">" at the begining
> of each line?
>

Yes, it was a copy 'n' paste problem.

> I know my repository works:
> ---------------------------------------------------------
> deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
>
> deb http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>
> Just substitute squeeze for wheezy

The problem is that I don't want to upgrade to debian testing.

>
> > And the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory is empty.
>
> That's fine.
>
> > It seems a problem with the repository but I've tried with several of
> > them
> > and the result is the same.
>
> That's why I'd like to see the output using apt-get. I know that works,
> and I don't use aptitude but there was some talk about aptitude "playing
> up" while trying to update.
>
> Is *every* squeeze user having trouble with aptitude?
>

This is the only server that I manage that has this problem. This
server has full connectivity with the repositories servers. Maybe a
problem with any signature?

Thanks,
David

> --
> "If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people
> who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
> oppressing." --- Malcolm X
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
> listm...@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120522125251.GD25963@tal
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAN9kZedt-+LxaeLuoF+BpO_pMG=8w+CdM8KHh2...@mail.gmail.com

Chris Bannister

unread,
May 22, 2012, 12:00:01 PM5/22/12
to
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 04:30:37PM +0200, David Seira wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> 2012/5/22 Chris Bannister <cbann...@slingshot.co.nz>
>
> The result in english (sorry) is:
[...]
> Get:10 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en [912 B]
> 59% [10 Translation-en bzip2 0 B] [Connecting to security.debian.org
> (128.31.0.36)]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
> Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en
> Get:11 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-es
> [912 B]
> 54% [11 Translation-es bzip2 0 B] [Connecting to security.debian.org
> (128.31.0.36)]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
> Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-es
> Get:12 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release [912 B]
> Err http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release
>
> Fetched 10.9 kB in 1s (7872 B/s)
> Reading package lists... Done
> W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository
> is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error:
> http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release: The following signatures
> were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2
[...]
> W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/Release
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze-updates/Release
> W: Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/dists/squeeze/updates/Release
> W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.
>
> Yes, it was a copy 'n' paste problem.

OK.

> This is the only server that I manage that has this problem. This
> server has full connectivity with the repositories servers. Maybe a
> problem with any signature?

Those are just warnings, it is the "Err" which is causing update to
fail.

So you have other servers which work ok? With exactly same sources.list?

Under "/var/lib/apt/lists/" is where the index files are kept.
What I'd do is delete those:
i.e. "rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*" then do apt-get update again.

Then worry about the GPG warnings after.


--
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people
who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
oppressing." --- Malcolm X


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120522155033.GA30857@tal

David Seira

unread,
May 23, 2012, 3:30:01 AM5/23/12
to
2012/5/22 Chris Bannister <cbann...@slingshot.co.nz>:
Yes. I have another servers with the same configuration in another places.

> Under  "/var/lib/apt/lists/" is where the index files are kept.
> What I'd do is delete those:
> i.e. "rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*" then do apt-get update again.
>
> Then worry about the GPG warnings after.
>

I remove the index files in the directory you said but the result is the same:

Get:1 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg [912 B]
Get:2 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en [912 B]
99% [2 Translation-en bzip2 0 B] [Waiting for headers] [Waiting for
headers]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en
Get:3 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release.gpg [912 B]
Get:4 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main
Translation-en [912 B]
74% [4 Translation-en bzip2 0 B] [Connecting to ftp.es.debian.org
(82.194.78.250)] [Waiting for headers]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2
file.
Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main
Translation-en
Get:5 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release.gpg [912 B]
Get:6 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release [912 B]
Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release
Get:7 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release [912 B]
Ign http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release
Get:8 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze/main Sources [912 B]
74% [8 Sources bzip2 0 B] [Waiting for headers] [Waiting for
headers]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Err http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze/main Sources
Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
Get:9 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze/main amd64 Packages [912 B]
77% [9 Packages bzip2 0 B] [Connecting to ftp.es.debian.org
(82.194.78.250)] [Waiting for headers]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2
file.
Err http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze/main amd64 Packages
Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
Get:10 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en
[912 B]
79% [10 Translation-en bzip2 0 B] [Waiting for headers]bzip2: (stdin)
is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en
Get:11 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates/main Sources [912 B]
72% [11 Sources bzip2 0 B] [Connecting to ftp.es.debian.org
(82.194.78.250)] [Waiting for headers]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2
file.
Err http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates/main Sources
Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
Get:12 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates/main amd64 Packages
[912 B]
74% [12 Packages bzip2 0 B] [Waiting for headers]bzip2: (stdin) is not
a bzip2 file.
Err http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates/main amd64 Packages
Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
Get:13 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release [912 B]
Ign http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release
Get:14 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main Sources [912 B]
78% [14 Sources bzip2 0 B]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Err http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main Sources
Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
Get:15 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages [912 B]
79% [15 Packages bzip2 0 B]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Err http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages
Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
Fetched 13.7 kB in 1s (7933 B/s)
W: GPG error: http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release: The following
signatures were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2
W: GPG error: http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates Release: The
following signatures were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2
W: GPG error: http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release: The
following signatures were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2

W: Failed to fetch
http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/source/Sources.bz2
Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
W: Failed to fetch
http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
W: Failed to fetch
http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze-updates/main/source/Sources.bz2
Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
W: Failed to fetch
http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze-updates/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
W: Failed to fetch
http://security.debian.org/dists/squeeze/updates/main/source/Sources.bz2
Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
W: Failed to fetch
http://security.debian.org/dists/squeeze/updates/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

>
> --
> "If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people
> who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
> oppressing." --- Malcolm X
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120522155033.GA30857@tal
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAN9kZedDHVEFA1QHdZ2D8zZM...@mail.gmail.com

T Elcor

unread,
May 23, 2012, 7:50:01 AM5/23/12
to
--- On Wed, 5/23/12, David Seira <david...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I remove the index files in the directory you said but the
> result is the same:

I solved my recent problem with aptitude (and apt) by installing bzip2 package. Until then I was getting rather ridiculous error messages from aptitude, which in no way indicated that absence of bzip2 was the problem. Just FYI.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1337773547.4647....@web121903.mail.ne1.yahoo.com

Chris Bannister

unread,
May 23, 2012, 12:20:02 PM5/23/12
to
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 04:45:47AM -0700, T Elcor wrote:
> --- On Wed, 5/23/12, David Seira <david...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I remove the index files in the directory you said but the
> > result is the same:
>
> I solved my recent problem with aptitude (and apt) by installing bzip2 package. Until then I was getting rather ridiculous error messages from aptitude, which in no way indicated that absence of bzip2 was the problem. Just FYI.

With squeeze?

--
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people
who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
oppressing." --- Malcolm X


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120523160853.GB2523@tal

Chris Bannister

unread,
May 23, 2012, 1:30:02 PM5/23/12
to
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 09:20:55AM +0200, David Seira wrote:
> Yes. I have another servers with the same configuration in another places.
>
> > Under  "/var/lib/apt/lists/" is where the index files are kept.
> > What I'd do is delete those:
> > i.e. "rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*" then do apt-get update again.
> >
> > Then worry about the GPG warnings after.
> >
>
> I remove the index files in the directory you said but the result is the same:

This is getting weirder and weirder.

There are some other things you can try, but if they don't work or
something else strange happens as a consequence you could bugger up your
package management system, and I don't want to be responsible for that.

i.e. under /var/lib/dpkg/available.
man dpkg

E.g see:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1752868


What does "ls -al /var/lib/apt/lists/" show now?

Can you spare another server for testing purposes?

Do the same on another server, with exactly the same sources list.

You're sure you haven't changed anything on this server recently, i.e.
before this problem started happening? Even if it seems totally
unrelated. E.g, on Google someone had a problem similar to this when
they changed the language (probably locales)

> Err http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages
> Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
> Fetched 13.7 kB in 1s (7933 B/s)

Mmmm,
I'd expect to see something like:
Hit http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates InRelease

> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/source/Sources.bz2
> Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
> Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze-updates/main/source/Sources.bz2
> Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze-updates/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
> Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://security.debian.org/dists/squeeze/updates/main/source/Sources.bz2
> Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://security.debian.org/dists/squeeze/updates/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
> Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)

> E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.

Just for testing, comment out all entries in your sources list, except
for
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
(it cleans the screen for easier reading.)

what does:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list
show?

what does:
apt-get update
show?

I want to see **all** the output please, even if you have to use
typescript.


What does:
ls -al /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/
show?

Do you have an "/etc/apt/apt.conf" file? If yes paste the contents?

You haven't got some sort of network/firewall problem have you?
It may not be a package problem at all, bit I'd expect 404 errors, etc.

I'm starting to run out of ideas.



--
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people
who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
oppressing." --- Malcolm X


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120523172836.GC2523@tal

David Seira

unread,
May 24, 2012, 3:00:02 AM5/24/12
to
> I solved my recent problem with aptitude (and apt) by installing bzip2 package. Until then I was getting rather ridiculous error messages from aptitude, which in no way indicated that absence of bzip2 was the problem. Just FYI.

The bzip2 package was installed before the problems start.

2012/5/23 Chris Bannister <cbann...@slingshot.co.nz>:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 09:20:55AM +0200, David Seira wrote:
>> Yes. I have another servers with the same configuration in another places.
>>
>> > Under  "/var/lib/apt/lists/" is where the index files are kept.
>> > What I'd do is delete those:
>> > i.e. "rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*" then do apt-get update again.
>> >
>> > Then worry about the GPG warnings after.
>> >
>>
>> I remove the index files in the directory you said but the result is the same:
>
> This is getting weirder and weirder.
>

Yes, is the only server I manage that has this problems.

> There are some other things you can try, but if they don't work or
> something else strange happens as a consequence you could bugger up your
> package management system, and I don't want to be responsible for that.
>
> i.e. under /var/lib/dpkg/available.
> man dpkg
>
> E.g see:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1752868
>

Reading this post it seems it could be a network problem. The problem
is that I don't manage the network, only the server.

>
> What does "ls -al /var/lib/apt/lists/" show now?
>

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31488757 may 18 00:56
ftp.es.debian.org_debian_dists_squeeze_main_binary-amd64_Packages
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1964287 may 18 00:56
ftp.es.debian.org_debian_dists_squeeze_main_i18n_Translation-es
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18362177 may 18 00:56
ftp.es.debian.org_debian_dists_squeeze_main_source_Sources
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 110865 may 18 00:56
ftp.es.debian.org_debian_dists_squeeze_Release
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1672 may 18 00:56
ftp.es.debian.org_debian_dists_squeeze_Release.gpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 59231 may 18 00:56
ftp.es.debian.org_debian_dists_squeeze-updates_main_binary-amd64_Packages
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2161 may 18 00:56
ftp.es.debian.org_debian_dists_squeeze-updates_main_binary-amd64_Packages.IndexDiff
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14864 abr 17 11:14
ftp.es.debian.org_debian_dists_squeeze-updates_main_source_Sources
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2161 may 18 00:56
ftp.es.debian.org_debian_dists_squeeze-updates_main_source_Sources.IndexDiff
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 113464 may 18 00:56
ftp.es.debian.org_debian_dists_squeeze-updates_Release
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 836 may 18 00:56
ftp.es.debian.org_debian_dists_squeeze-updates_Release.gpg
-rw-r----- 1 root root 0 abr 17 11:12 lock
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 may 24 07:33 partial
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1261300 may 17 23:58
security.debian.org_dists_squeeze_updates_main_binary-amd64_Packages
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 309643 may 17 23:58
security.debian.org_dists_squeeze_updates_main_source_Sources
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 86939 may 17 23:58
security.debian.org_dists_squeeze_updates_Release
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 836 may 17 23:58
security.debian.org_dists_squeeze_updates_Release.gpg

> Can you spare another server for testing purposes?
>

No. As I told you before, this is the only server with strange behaviour.

> Do the same on another server, with exactly the same sources list.
>

All the servers that I manage have the same sources list and haven't
any problem with it.

> You're sure you haven't changed anything on this server recently, i.e.
> before this problem started happening? Even if it seems totally
> unrelated. E.g, on Google someone had a problem similar to this when
> they changed the language (probably locales)
>

Yes. I'm 100% sure that I don't change anything :-). This server is
used for a radius server.

>> Err http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates/main amd64 Packages
>>   Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
>> Fetched 13.7 kB in 1s (7933 B/s)
>

Is strange this message. I' ve managed several debian server for
several years and I never found this error.
Yes, I tried this yesterday evening but the results were the same.

> what does:
> cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> show?
>
> what does:
> apt-get update
> show?
>
> I want to see **all** the output please, even if you have to use
> typescript.
>

This is the sources.list with only the security repository enabled:

root@radius:/etc/apt# cat sources.list
#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.2.1 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64
NETINST Binary-1 20110628-12:58]/ squeeze main
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.2.1 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64
NETINST Binary-1 20110628-12:58]/ squeeze main

#deb http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
#deb-src http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
#deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

# squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
#deb http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
#deb-src http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main

And this is the apt-get update output with the modified sources.list:

root@radius:/etc/apt# apt-get update
Get:1 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release.gpg [912 B]
Get:2 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en [912 B]
99% [2 Translation-en bzip2 0 B] [Waiting for headers]bzip2: (stdin)
is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-en
Get:3 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-es [912 B]
66% [3 Translation-es bzip2 0 B] [Connecting to security.debian.org
(149.20.20.6)]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
Ign http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main Translation-es
Get:4 http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release [912 B]
Err http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release

Fetched 3648 B in 2s (1812 B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository
is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error:
http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release: The following
signatures were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2

W: Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/dists/squeeze/updates/Release
W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.


>
> What does:
> ls -al /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/
> show?
>

root@radius:/etc/apt# ls -al /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/
total 28
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 17 11:36 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 May 24 07:40 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 81 Apr 17 11:12 00CDMountPoint
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 40 Apr 17 11:12 00trustcdrom
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 395 Apr 15 2011 01autoremove
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 141 May 31 2011 20listchanges
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 182 Jan 30 2011 70debconf

> Do you have an "/etc/apt/apt.conf" file? If yes paste the contents?
>

No, I haven't this file.

> You haven't got some sort of network/firewall problem have you?
> It may not be a package problem at all, bit I'd expect 404 errors, etc.
>

The internet connection works correctly because I manage this server
remotely. I don't know if the firewall has a special rule that blocks
this type of traffic.

> I'm starting to run out of ideas.
>

Yes, me too.

I have two theories. First, it could be a network/firewall problem
despite the server has connectivity. Second, it could be a signature
problem because in all of the messages mentions "A error occurred
during the signature verification".

Another cheat I could try is to download the packages from another
server and install locally with dpkg. What do you think about this?

I don't know, I'll continue trying.

>
>
> --
> "If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people
> who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
> oppressing." --- Malcolm X
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120523172836.GC2523@tal
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAN9kZeekXgS+-pv1+dOh37q...@mail.gmail.com

Chris Bannister

unread,
May 26, 2012, 12:50:02 AM5/26/12
to
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 08:52:49AM +0200, David Seira wrote:
> 2012/5/23 Chris Bannister <cbann...@slingshot.co.nz>:
> > What does "ls -al /var/lib/apt/lists/" show now?
> >
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31488757 may 18 00:56
> ftp.es.debian.org_debian_dists_squeeze_main_binary-amd64_Packages
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1964287 may 18 00:56
> -rw-r----- 1 root root 0 abr 17 11:12 lock
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 may 24 07:33 partial
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1261300 may 17 23:58
> security.debian.org_dists_squeeze_updates_main_binary-amd64_Packages
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 309643 may 17 23:58
> security.debian.org_dists_squeeze_updates_main_source_Sources
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 86939 may 17 23:58
> security.debian.org_dists_squeeze_updates_Release
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 836 may 17 23:58
> security.debian.org_dists_squeeze_updates_Release.gpg

It seems to have repopulated the directory, despite the messages that it
failed to download the files. Ahh, see the date on the partial
directory? What's under there. Maybe delete those and try again?


> > Can you spare another server for testing purposes?
> >
>
> No. As I told you before, this is the only server with strange behaviour.

You could use it for comparison purposes.

Also:
apt-get update -o Debug::Acquire::http=true 2> http.log

might shed some light on whats happening.

You could try that on a good server and see what the differences are.

--
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people
who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
oppressing." --- Malcolm X


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120526044235.GB25455@tal

Scott Ferguson

unread,
May 29, 2012, 12:10:01 AM5/29/12
to
On 18/05/12 17:13, David Seira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to update and upgrade a debian 6 system. I've run the
> "aptitude update" command and the output is:
>
> Des:1 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg [912 B]
> Des:2 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en [912 B]
> 99% [2 Translation-en bzip2 0] [Esperando las cabeceras] [Esperando las
> cabeceras]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.


There is only one situation where I've seen the above errors - while
using an older version of apt-cacher. Solution was to upgrade.
If you're running apt-cacher disable it and see if the problems vanish.




<snipped>

> ��
> Descargados 10,9 kB en 1seg. (7429 B/s).
> W: Se produjo un error durante la verificaci�n de las firmas. El
> repositorio no est� actualizado y se utilizar�n los ficheros de �ndice
> antiguos. El error GPG es: http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release: Las
> siguientes firms fueron inv�lidas: NODATA 1 NODATA 2
>
> W: Se produjo un error durante la verificaci�n de las firmas. El
> repositorio no est� actualizado y se utilizar�n los ficheros de �ndice
> antiguos. El error GPG es: http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze-updates
> Release: Las siguientes firms fueron inv�lidas: NODATA 1 NODATA 2
>
> W: Se produjo un error durante la verificaci�n de las firmas. El
> repositorio no est� actualizado y se utilizar�n los ficheros de �ndice
> antiguos. El error GPG es: http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates
> Release: Las siguientes firms fueron inv�lidas: NODATA 1 NODATA 2


These type of errors occur with an older version of apt-cacher - *or*
because of firewall/proxy problems.

<snipped>

>
> Anyone know what is the problem? How can I fix it?
>
> Thanks,
> David

The following is from a proxy problem - bypassing the proxy solved the
problem:-
W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is
not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error:
http://security.debian.org squeeze/updates Release: The following
signatures were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2

W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is
not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error:
http://mozilla.debian.net squeeze-backports Release: The following
signatures were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2

W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is
not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error:
http://backports.debian.org squeeze-backports Release: The following
signatures were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2

W: Failed to fetch
http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/dists/squeeze-backports/Release


W: Failed to fetch
http://mozilla.debian.net/dists/squeeze-backports/Release

W: Failed to fetch
http://security.debian.org/dists/squeeze/updates/Release

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.
And this:-


Kind regards

--
Iceweasel/Firefox/Chrome/Chromium/Iceape/IE extensions for finding
answers to questions about Debian:-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collections/Scott_Ferguson/debian/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4FC44AF4...@gmail.com

David Seira

unread,
May 30, 2012, 3:40:01 AM5/30/12
to
2012/5/29 Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguso...@gmail.com>:
> On 18/05/12 17:13, David Seira wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to update and upgrade a debian 6 system. I've run the
>> "aptitude update" command and the output is:
>>
>> Des:1 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg [912 B]
>> Des:2 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en [912 B]
>> 99% [2 Translation-en bzip2 0] [Esperando las cabeceras] [Esperando las
>> cabeceras]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
>
>
> There is only one situation where I've seen the above errors - while
> using an older version of apt-cacher. Solution was to upgrade.
> If you're running apt-cacher disable it and see if the problems vanish.
>

No, I'm not using apt-cacher.
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAN9kZeexRSFWjrS1uuyoKGc-...@mail.gmail.com

Chris Bannister

unread,
May 30, 2012, 8:20:01 AM5/30/12
to
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 09:31:03AM +0200, David Seira wrote:
> 2012/5/29 Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguso...@gmail.com>:
> > On 18/05/12 17:13, David Seira wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to update and upgrade a debian 6 system. I've run the
> >> "aptitude update" command and the output is:
> >>
> >> Des:1 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg [912 B]
> >> Des:2 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en [912 B]
> >> 99% [2 Translation-en bzip2 0] [Esperando las cabeceras] [Esperando las
> >> cabeceras]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
> >
> >
> > There is only one situation where I've seen the above errors - while
> > using an older version of apt-cacher. Solution was to upgrade.
> > If you're running apt-cacher disable it and see if the problems vanish.
> >
>
> No, I'm not using apt-cacher.

Does viewing http.log help after doing:

apt-get update -o Debug::Acquire::http=true 2> http.log

Also did you see my post about deleting what's in
"/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/"?

Resorting to dpkg without doing an apt-get update will quickly get
tedious and is not recommended.

--
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people
who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
oppressing." --- Malcolm X


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120530120825.GB4907@tal

David Seira

unread,
May 31, 2012, 3:30:01 AM5/31/12
to
2012/5/30 Chris Bannister <cbann...@slingshot.co.nz>:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 09:31:03AM +0200, David Seira wrote:
>> 2012/5/29 Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguso...@gmail.com>:
>> > On 18/05/12 17:13, David Seira wrote:
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> I'm trying to update and upgrade a debian 6 system. I've run the
>> >> "aptitude update" command and the output is:
>> >>
>> >> Des:1 http://ftp.es.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg [912 B]
>> >> Des:2 http://ftp.es.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main Translation-en [912 B]
>> >> 99% [2 Translation-en bzip2 0] [Esperando las cabeceras] [Esperando las
>> >> cabeceras]bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
>> >
>> >
>> > There is only one situation where I've seen the above errors - while
>> > using an older version of apt-cacher. Solution was to upgrade.
>> > If you're running apt-cacher disable it and see if the problems vanish.
>> >
>>
>> No, I'm not using apt-cacher.
>
> Does viewing http.log help after doing:
>

With the debug option the result was:

GET /debian/dists/squeeze/Release HTTP/1.1
Host: ftp.es.debian.org
Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0
Range: bytes=911-
If-Range: Thu, 31 May 2012 07:15:02 GMT
User-Agent: Debian APT-HTTP/1.3 (0.8.10.3)


bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8"
Content-Length: 912
Connection: Close

> apt-get update -o Debug::Acquire::http=true 2> http.log
>
> Also did you see my post about deleting what's in
> "/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/"?
>

Yes, I deleted the content of this directory and the result was the same.

> Resorting to dpkg without doing an apt-get update will quickly get
> tedious and is not recommended.
>
> --
> "If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people
> who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the
> oppressing." --- Malcolm X
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120530120825.GB4907@tal
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-us...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAN9kZecNeXtooA3icQ+xibfa...@mail.gmail.com
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages