Re: EOL and EOS for Debian Softwares

Greg Wooledge

Jan 20, 2023, 11:50:05 AM1/20/23
On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 03:42:39PM +0000, Bushra Perveen wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> Could you please let me know the End of Life and End of Support for the below Debian software's?
> whiptail 0.5 (Linux)
> P11 Glue Utilities 0.2 (Linux)
> virt-what 1 (Linux)
> HTTP Client 6 (Linux)
> virt-what 6 (Linux)
> DStat 0.7 (Linux)

Debian doesn't support individual software pacakges like this, except
for very special cases like Firefox and Chromium. Instead, Debian
supports releases, and all of the packages within a release.

The two releases that are currently supported are Debian 10 ("buster")
and Debian 11 ("bullseye"). Debian 11 is the current "stable" release,
and as such, has 100% security support. This will continue until one
year after the release of Debian 12 ("bookworm"), whenever that may be.

Debian 10 is the "oldstable" release, meaning it had full support for
the first year after Debian 11's release, and now has reduced support.
See <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianOldStable> for details.

Of all the items on your list, only two (whiptail and virt-what) are
actual Debian package names. For the others, the first thing you'll have
to do is figure out what binary package name(s) they actually exist as
in Debian, if they're even in Debian at all. Then, you can see which
versions of those packages are in Debian 10 and Debian 11. If one of
those releases has the version of the package you're interested in,
then you can estimate the length of time that release will be supported.

Since whiptail is actually in Debian 11, I can tell you its version
number right now. It's version 0.52.21-4+b3 which means it was built
from upstream version 0.52.21, and this is the third binary-only
non-maintainer upload after the fourth Debian packaging of that upstream
version.

I don't know how "whiptail 0.5" is supposed to map to the actual version
numbers used by the upstream developers, given that "0.52.21" is what
Debian's using.

Debian 11 also has virt-what version 1.19-1 which means it was built
from upstream version 1.19, and this is the first Debian packaging of
that upstream version.

I don't know how "virt-what 1" or "virt-what 6" are intended to map to
the version numbers used by this project either.

Good luck.

Dan Ritter

Jan 25, 2023, 8:00:06 AM1/25/23
Bushra Perveen wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> Please provide the EOL and EOS dates for the below mentioned software's.
>

> whiptail 0.5 (Linux)
>
> P11 Glue Utilities 0.2 (Linux)
>
> virt-what 1 (Linux)
>
> HTTP Client 6 (Linux)
>
> virt-what 6 (Linux)
>
> DStat 0.7 (Linux)

If you would like to pay someone for support, there are any
number of consultants who would be happy to do that:

https://www.debian.org/consultants/

-dsr-