smartctl puzzlement new disk

ghe2001

May 13, 2022, 10:30:05 PM5/13/22

David

May 13, 2022, 10:40:05 PM5/13/22
On Sat, 14 May 2022 at 12:21, ghe2001 <ghe...@pm.me> wrote:

> Supermicro workstation, Debian Buster, smartctl v 6.6
>
> I bought a new 12TB Western Digital Gold SATA disk the other day.
> After testing it, smartctl says, among other things:
>
> 22 Unknown_Attribute 0x0023 001 001 025 Pre-fail Always FAILING_NOW 13
>
> And it looks like the test is aborted when smartctl sees that error.
[...]
> Is there a way to to get smartctl to finish the test? If so, how do I do that?

Hi, you could try the more recent version of smartmontools
(7.2-1~bpo10+1) that is available in the buster-backports
repository.

Version 6.6 was released 2017-November-05.
Version 7.2 was released 2020-December-30.

David Christensen

May 13, 2022, 11:10:05 PM5/13/22
On 5/13/22 19:02, ghe2001 wrote:
> Supermicro workstation, Debian Buster, smartctl v 6.6
>
> I bought a new 12TB Western Digital Gold SATA disk the other day. After testing it, smartctl says, among other things:
>
> 22 Unknown_Attribute 0x0023 001 001 025 Pre-fail Always FAILING_NOW 13
>
> And it looks like the test is aborted when smartctl sees that error. And there's lots of yelling all over my monitor.
>
> I found some discussion of ID 22 on the 'Net -- it's often used to mean 'helium level' which makes some sense on a 12TB disk. But testing the Seagate 12TB next to the Western Digital is OK -- sorta; there's no ID 22 in the output.
>
> The Wikipedia article on S.M.A.R.T lists ID 22 as having to do with the helium.
>
> On the web, it looked like there's a way of changing what ID 22's called so smartctl won't hurl. I'd like the test to just keep going and tell me the other things it finds.
>
> My questions:
>
> Is this error on ID 22 anything to worry about?
> (I'm guessing that it isn't, and smartctl and/or something in the Western Digital disk's firmware is mildly wrong)
>
> Is there really a way to change 22 so smartctl will report the helium level? How do I do that?
>
> Is there a way to to get smartctl to finish the test? If so, how do I do that?
>
> TIA...

I would download, install, and run the Western Digital WD Drive
Utilities to test the drive:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?FW&lang=en&family=wdretailkits

If the tool finds a problem with the drive, it should provide the
information needed to process a warranty claim with Western Digital.
Or, if the purchase was recent enough, to get an RMA and refund from the
seller.

David

ghe2001

May 14, 2022, 12:00:05 AM5/14/22

David

May 14, 2022, 12:10:05 AM5/14/22
On Sat, 14 May 2022 at 13:54, ghe2001 <ghe...@protonmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, May 13, 2022 8:37 PM, David <bounci...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, you could try the more recent version of smartmontools
> > (7.2-1~bpo10+1) that is available in the buster-backports
> > repository.
> >
> > Version 6.6 was released 2017-November-05.
> > Version 7.2 was released 2020-December-30.
>
> I found out about 7.n a bit after I posted to the list. I've never gone the backports route before, but I tried it and couldn't find the v7 deb in the pkg software. I put the backports line in sources and update apt (and aptitude) -- smartmontools was still at 6. I removed 6 and tried again. I removed everything bue the backports from sources and updated apt. 6 was still in my package managers' lists.
>
> Can you tell from that what I did wrong with backports?

Have a look at this page:
https://wiki.debian.org/Backports
in particular:
https://wiki.debian.org/Backports#Installing_backports_on_the_command_line
"The backports repository is deactivated by default." ...

See also here:
https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/#index3h2
"All backports are deactivated by default " ...

ghe2001

May 14, 2022, 3:20:05 PM5/14/22

David

May 14, 2022, 10:10:05 PM5/14/22
On Sun, 15 May 2022 at 05:13, ghe2001 <ghe...@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Got 7.2. Now 22 is helium level, but it still says it fails.

Maybe it's faulty. I would ask vendor/manufacturer for advice,
who will probably advise to test it using manufacturer diagnostic
software.

Darac Marjal

May 20, 2022, 7:40:06 AM5/20/22

On 14/05/2022 03:02, ghe2001 wrote:
[...]

Regardless of whether smartctl knows what ID 22 means, the error is actually because the _value_ of ID 22 is too low.

SMART entries show four values:

  • VALUE - This is a "normalised" value, between 0 and 255. The RAW_VALUE (shown as the last column) is scaled according to the manufacturer's algorithm such that 100 is the ideal value.
  • WORST - This represents the worst level of VALUE that the drive has seen.
  • THRESH - This is a level which the manufacturer has determined. If VALUE is less than THRESH, there is a problem
  • RAW_VALUE - This is some internal value which the manufacturer knows the meaning of (sometimes it might be obvious such as the number of hours online, but in the case of the helium level it's not obvious what 13 represents)

So, Smartctl might not know that the helium level is low, but it _does_ know that ID 22 is at 1, which is less than 25, so therefore the drive is failing.

As far as the firmware is concerned, the drive is failing. Whether that decision is justified, only the manufacturer can really say.

OpenPGP_signature