Authentication required message window after nvidia drivers installation.

Thanos Katsiolis

Jan 21, 2022, 8:30:05 AM1/21/22
Hello,

the title of the post says pretty much everything.
I have the NVIDIA Quadro P400 graphics card and installed the NVIDIA drivers as described in Debian wiki NVIDIA Proprietary Driver for Debian 11.2.

The message appears when an Application starts or when a window from an application opens. Some applications were left with a blank screen when launching, but after a restart, when I press escape on the message, the application starts normally.
Any ideas on how to fix it?

Christian Britz

Jan 21, 2022, 10:40:06 AM1/21/22

this is certainly very strange behaviour which I never experienced at
the time when I was using the NVDIA closed-source drivers.
It actually sounds a little bit alarming to me.

Regards,
Christian

On 2022-01-21 14:24 UTC+0100, Thanos Katsiolis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the title of the post says pretty much everything.
> I have the NVIDIA Quadro P400 graphics card and installed the NVIDIA
> drivers as described in Debian wiki NVIDIA Proprietary Driver
> <https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers> for Debian 11.2.

Andrei POPESCU

Jan 22, 2022, 3:00:10 AM1/22/22
On Vi, 21 ian 22, 15:24:29, Thanos Katsiolis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the title of the post says pretty much everything.
> I have the NVIDIA Quadro P400 graphics card and installed the NVIDIA
> drivers as described in Debian wiki NVIDIA Proprietary Driver
> <https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers> for Debian 11.2.
>
> The message appears when an Application starts or when a window from an
> application opens. Some applications were left with a blank screen
> when launching, but after a restart, when I press escape on the message,
> the application starts normally.
> Any ideas on how to fix it?

This is likely completely unrelated to installing the NVIDIA drivers.

Please provide more information about your Desktop Environment and the
applications that exhibit this behaviour.

Any other non-Debian software on the system?

The output of 'id' in a terminal might provide some hints as well (feel
free to obscure your user and group name, the interesting part is what
other groups, if any, your user is a member of).

Kind regards,
Andrei
signature.asc

Thanos Katsiolis

Jan 24, 2022, 5:50:05 AM1/24/22
Hello Andrei, thank you for your answer,

and sorry for my late answer, but today again I have access to this machine.

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 9:51 AM Andrei POPESCU <andreim...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is likely completely unrelated to installing the NVIDIA drivers.

I am certain that it has to be something with the NVIDIA drivers installation, because this started immediately after installing the drivers. For over a month that the drivers were not installed, there was no problem.

Please provide more information about your Desktop Environment and the
applications that exhibit this behaviour.

Any other non-Debian software on the system?

I use the GNOME Wayland. Furthermore, there are various applications that exhibit this behavior like Spotify, Skype and PyCharm. The message appears when an application launches or when it opens a new window and not while using the application, for example when browsing Spotify.

The output of 'id' in a terminal might provide some hints as well (feel
free to obscure your user and group name, the interesting part is what
other groups, if any, your user is a member of).

The output of the command says that me account is also part of a group. This is not a home setup. Can should I see particularly from 'id'?
Kind regards,
- Thanos.

Thanos Katsiolis

Jan 31, 2022, 8:00:07 AM1/31/22
The problem was what the message was about, there was a problem with the login keyring.

Usually, the login keyring has the same password as the user's account. For some reason this had somehow changed in my case, and since I could not remember the login keyring password, I deleted it.

I have a GNOME desktop environment, and the installation of Nvidia drivers somehow made it get activated in the cases I mentioned earlier.

Thanos Katsiolis

Jan 31, 2022, 8:00:07 AM1/31/22
The problem was what the message was about, there was a problem with the login keyring.

Usually, the login keyring has the same password with the user's account. For some reason this had somehow changed in my case, and since I could not remember the login keyring password, I deleted it.

I have GNOME desktop environment, and the installation of Nvidia drivers somehow made it get activated in the cases I mention earlier.