Using the GPU on the Intel i7-477

Robin Kipp

Dec 14, 2013, 5:30:01 PM12/14/13
Hi all,
I’ve got a server running Debian 7.1 Wheezy which uses an Intel Haswell  i7-477 processor. This processor should have an on-board GPU that I’d like to use - first for scientific calculations using BOINC, and later for automated video rendering possibly.
However, I don’t think Debian natively supports the GPU on that processor, so I was just wondering if someone on here could tell me how I can get any appropriate drivers / libraries for that?
Many thanks for any help!
Robin
signature.asc

Darac Marjal

Dec 16, 2013, 7:20:03 AM12/16/13
On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 11:19:17PM +0100, Robin Kipp wrote:
> Hi all,
> I’ve got a server running Debian 7.1 Wheezy which uses an Intel
> Haswell  i7-477 processor. This processor should have an on-board GPU that
> I’d like to use - first for scientific calculations using BOINC, and later
> for automated video rendering possibly.

According to https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/GPU_computing, the current
BOINC should be able to detect and use your GPU just fine. If it
doesn't, you may need to install Intel's own graphics driver from
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/.

According to the BOINC page, the Intel chips use OpenCL so, in theory,
once you've got that working any OpenCL application should work just as
well.

signature.asc

Robin Kipp

Dec 17, 2013, 7:20:02 AM12/17/13
Hi Darac,
many thanks for your reply!

> According to https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/GPU_computing, the current
> BOINC should be able to detect and use your GPU just fine.

Unfortunately, the website states that a connected monitor or VGA dummy plug is required for this to work… Since the server in question is hosted in a datacenter, I won’t be able to connect any of that. However, I might just try my luck anyways with the drivers...

> If it
> doesn't, you may need to install Intel's own graphics driver from
> https://01.org/linuxgraphics/.

There are a series of files on the downloads page, and unfortunately my experience with graphics drivers is zero at this time… Do you happen to know which file is the one that I need and how I install it properly?
Many thanks for your help!
Robin
signature.asc