I/O error reading swsusp image with 2.6.18-6-686

John Fleming

May 14, 2008, 10:20:13 PM5/14/08
I've been struggling with my server not rebooting due to stopping at the
error:

<snip>
Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ...
kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/hda2) = hda2(3,2)
kinit: trying to resume from /dev/hda2
Attempting manual resume
attempt to access beyond end of device
hda2: rw=16, want=8, limit=2
I/O error reading swsusp image.

The boot stops at this point. Painfully, when this first occurred, I wasn't
able to solve it, and actually reinstalled etch and then my last backup
files. Later I learned that if I had just booted from a different kernel
2.6.18-4 instead of -6, it would've booted fine!

Anyway, tonight I decided to try to reinstall 2.6.18-6-686 to stay up to
date. In my newbieness, I uninstalled 2.6.18-6, and then reinstalled it.
However, when I try to boot 2.6.18-6, I get the sususp error and it won't
boot! Of course, I can still boot with the -4 kernel fine.

Does anyone know anything about this? I haveno idea why it's talking about
swsusp. (The uswsusp package is not installed, and there hasn't been any
suspending going on that I know about.)

Thanks a bunch! - John

John Fleming

May 16, 2008, 5:50:10 PM5/16/08
It's been over 48 hrs, and I didn't get a single bite on this, so thought
I'd try again. I have a problem that only raises it's head with the
2.6.18-6-686 kernel, but not the 2.6.18-4-686:

[...]

Douglas A. Tutty

May 24, 2008, 2:20:19 PM5/24/08
On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 05:43:56PM -0400, John Fleming wrote:
> It's been over 48 hrs, and I didn't get a single bite on this, so thought
> I'd try again. I have a problem that only raises it's head with the
> 2.6.18-6-686 kernel, but not the 2.6.18-4-686:
[snip]

> Does anyone know anything about this? I have no idea why it's talking about
> swsusp. (The uswsusp package is not installed, and there hasn't been any
> suspending going on that I know about.)

I just want to know that you are not being ignored. If you have no
packages related to *susp either installed or even with config files
present, and especially if you never have, then I don't have an answer.

I agree that it puts you in a bind since IIRC the reason for 2.6.18-6
to replace the -4 was for security fixes.

Since the change was done by the security team, have you tried emailing
them directly?

Doug.