Java on AMD64 Question

6 views
Skip to first unread message

Patrick Carlson

unread,
Feb 26, 2005, 10:50:08 PM2/26/05
to
Hello. I'm a little confused as to getting Java on my AMD64 system.
Can I apt-get install it? I went to java.com and they seem to have an
AMD64 self extracting binary. I would rather use apt-get though so
that I can keep it up to date. Thank you for the help.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-amd...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org

Robert King

unread,
Feb 26, 2005, 11:00:23 PM2/26/05
to
There are licence problems. The java-package package allows you to install
downloaded java (list of supported stuff in the package), but you still need
to download seperately

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:40, Patrick Carlson wrote:
> Hello. I'm a little confused as to getting Java on my AMD64 system.
> Can I apt-get install it? I went to java.com and they seem to have an
> AMD64 self extracting binary. I would rather use apt-get though so
> that I can keep it up to date. Thank you for the help.

--
----
Robert King, Statistics, School of Mathematical & Physical Sciences,
University of Newcastle, Australia
Room V133 ph +61 2 4921 5548
Rober...@newcastle.edu.au http://maths.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/

LOAD "LINUX",8,1
-- Topic on #LinuxGER

Dustin Nicholas Jenkins

unread,
Feb 26, 2005, 11:10:08 PM2/26/05
to
There is a 64-bit version at java.sun.com available. Really easy to
install and keep up to date.

Dustin

Juan A

unread,
Feb 26, 2005, 11:10:08 PM2/26/05
to
www.blackdown.com

look for a mirror, add it to your sources.list, check you have non-free also in you main mirror and you´re done
apt-get install j2sdk1.4 or j2re1.4


Robert King escribió:

Chris Wakefield

unread,
Feb 26, 2005, 11:30:10 PM2/26/05
to
H Patrick.
Yes it's confusing, but you can go here and get it:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

Just choose: "Download JRE for Other Platforms" and you'll get there in a
coupl'a klicks. This is the generic self-extracting installer.

The apt-get thingy will get you 1.4 (I think 32 bit) I think you can find that
at blackdown, but it'll run with 32 bit I think only. you'll have to edit
your /etc/apt/sources.list to tell apt where to git it, as well.

Once you extract jre1.5, you'll have to configure konqueror java in settings
to connect to the java binary thusly:

/home/user/jre1.5.0/bin/java

then java 64 bit will run in konq. Not sure about moz or firef. though.

Cheers,
Chris W.

Javier Kohen

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 12:00:21 AM2/27/05
to

Beware because debugging is broken with Blackdown's JDK 1.4.2_01 on
AMD64. It's been reported several times in their BTS, but there's been
no answer so far (at least on the BTS; I haven't checked their mailing
list, if they have one).

Also, if you use Eclipse, avoid Sun's JDK (Blackdown's included) because
the JIT has a bug that's triggered frequently by the editor causing
Eclipse to crash.

I found IBM's JDK 1.4.2 to be the most stable on AMD64, though it has
its own bugs (not so severe as the others on this platform) and no
public bug tracking system to report them. There is a newsgroup but
there's barely any traffic there, though I've seen an IBM employee
answering once.

In brief, I'm using IBM's JDK 1.4.2 and I can't complain because I least
it gets the work done (and I use it constantly).


--
Javier Kohen <jko...@users.sourceforge.net>
ICQ: blashyrkh #2361802
Jabber: jko...@jabber.org

Javier Kohen

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 12:10:10 AM2/27/05
to

Sun doesn't ship the Java plug-in on AMD64 as of 1.5.0_1. Sun employees
gave mixed answers to the corresponding bug reports in their BTS.
Sometimes they say it might be fixed in 1.5.1 and others that "it's a
bug in the documentation because we won't support the Java plug-in and
Java webstart on AMD64."

You can vote for this bug
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4802695 or one of the
dupes :)

Chris Wakefield wrote:
> H Patrick.
> Yes it's confusing, but you can go here and get it:
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
>
> Just choose: "Download JRE for Other Platforms" and you'll get there in a
> coupl'a klicks. This is the generic self-extracting installer.
>
> The apt-get thingy will get you 1.4 (I think 32 bit) I think you can find that
> at blackdown, but it'll run with 32 bit I think only. you'll have to edit
> your /etc/apt/sources.list to tell apt where to git it, as well.
>
> Once you extract jre1.5, you'll have to configure konqueror java in settings
> to connect to the java binary thusly:
>
> /home/user/jre1.5.0/bin/java
>
> then java 64 bit will run in konq. Not sure about moz or firef. though.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris W.
>
>
>
>
> On February 26, 2005 07:40 pm, Patrick Carlson wrote:
>
>>Hello. I'm a little confused as to getting Java on my AMD64 system.
>>Can I apt-get install it? I went to java.com and they seem to have an
>>AMD64 self extracting binary. I would rather use apt-get though so
>>that I can keep it up to date. Thank you for the help.
>
>
>


--

Javier Kohen <jko...@users.sourceforge.net>
ICQ: blashyrkh #2361802
Jabber: jko...@jabber.org

Patrick Carlson

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 12:20:07 AM2/27/05
to
Thanks everyone for the help. I went and got the 64 bit version from
Sun. I installed it per this tutorial:

http://home.bredband.no/gaulyk/java/tutorial/javaredhat.html#Installing%20the%20Software

However, I'm not quite sure how to set my $PATH value. There is no
"profile.d" folder. I tried creating one but it didn't seem to work.
What's the easiest way to setup the path? Thanks!

Juergen Kreileder

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 6:10:14 AM2/27/05
to
Javier Kohen <jko...@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Beware because debugging is broken with Blackdown's JDK 1.4.2_01 on
> AMD64. It's been reported several times in their BTS, but there's
> been no answer so far (at least on the BTS; I haven't checked their
> mailing list, if they have one).

This will be fixed in the next release. You should be able to work
around the problem by adding stdalloc=y to the run -Xrunjdwp options.

(1.4.2-01 defaults to stdalloc=n, that means it uses a variant of Doug
Lea's malloc which seems to break with NPTL. 1.5 allocates memory via
JVMTI, so it doesn't have this problem.)

> Also, if you use Eclipse, avoid Sun's JDK (Blackdown's included)
> because the JIT has a bug that's triggered frequently by the editor
> causing Eclipse to crash.

I have a hard time reproducing this. What do you do to crash it?


Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/

Erik Norman

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 1:20:06 PM2/27/05
to
Dunno,

I am installing it for the first time with apt-get today.

I have always installed the "normal" way, making the symbolic link
directly from the java /jdk/plugin/.. to mozilla folder..


On Son, 2005-02-27 at 10:04 -0800, tony mancill wrote:
> You can add this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb http://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/debian sid non-free
>
> Then, just "apt-get update ; apt-get install j2re1.4 equivs"
>
> FWIW, I did this just earlier today on my pure64/sid system. I only loaded
> the j2re1.4 package and then updated the
> /etc/alternatives/libjavaplugin_oji.so symlink to point to
> /usr/lib/j2se/1.4/jre/plugin/amd64/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so.
>
> The plugin seems to work, but now when I start mozilla, I get the following:
>
> tony@honig:/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins$ mozilla
> grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
> cut: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
> sed: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
>
> Anyone on the list know what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> tony
>
> Erik Norman wrote:
> > I don't really get the right mirror location into my source list of apt.
> >
> > could you please just paste that entry of your apt source list into a
> > mail and send it?
> >
> > Erik

Erik Norman

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 12:30:18 PM2/27/05
to
I don't really get the right mirror location into my source list of apt.

could you please just paste that entry of your apt source list into a
mail and send it?

Erik

On Sam, 2005-02-26 at 22:06 -0600, Juan A wrote:

tony mancill

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 1:10:16 PM2/27/05
to
You can add this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

Then, just "apt-get update ; apt-get install j2re1.4 equivs"

FWIW, I did this just earlier today on my pure64/sid system. I only loaded
the j2re1.4 package and then updated the
/etc/alternatives/libjavaplugin_oji.so symlink to point to
/usr/lib/j2se/1.4/jre/plugin/amd64/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so.

The plugin seems to work, but now when I start mozilla, I get the following:

tony@honig:/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins$ mozilla
grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
cut: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
sed: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

Anyone on the list know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
tony

Javier Kohen

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 1:30:15 PM2/27/05
to

Hallo,

Juergen Kreileder wrote:
> Javier Kohen <jko...@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
>
>>Beware because debugging is broken with Blackdown's JDK 1.4.2_01 on
>>AMD64. It's been reported several times in their BTS, but there's
>>been no answer so far (at least on the BTS; I haven't checked their
>>mailing list, if they have one).
> This will be fixed in the next release. You should be able to work
> around the problem by adding stdalloc=y to the run -Xrunjdwp options.
>
> (1.4.2-01 defaults to stdalloc=n, that means it uses a variant of Doug
> Lea's malloc which seems to break with NPTL. 1.5 allocates memory via
> JVMTI, so it doesn't have this problem.)

Thanks, I'll try this sooner or later. I hadn't been able to find a
workaround anywhere.

>>Also, if you use Eclipse, avoid Sun's JDK (Blackdown's included)
>>because the JIT has a bug that's triggered frequently by the editor
>>causing Eclipse to crash.
> I have a hard time reproducing this. What do you do to crash it?

I just use Eclipse's editor, eventually it'll crash; it could take a few
seconds to some minutes, but never too long. Let me find the bug
report... here: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=83688 . If
you follow the link to the report mine is a duplicate of, you'll see
other people complaining about the same.

Thanks for your answer,


--
Javier Kohen <jko...@users.sourceforge.net>
ICQ: blashyrkh #2361802
Jabber: jko...@jabber.org

Patrick Carlson

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 2:30:14 PM2/27/05
to
Well, I still can't figure out the path but it seems the Bluej.org
software that I use, when extracted and installed automatically
figured out where Java is and it works great with Bluej. :)

Erik Norman

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 2:40:09 PM2/27/05
to
Hello,

I have tried several times (using the "install missing plugins" feauture
of mozilla-firefox) to install flashplayer, no way.
It does not work.

Any hint?

apt-get flashplayer gives no result

Erik

Javier Kohen

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 2:50:10 PM2/27/05
to

Hi Erik,

Erik Norman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have tried several times (using the "install missing plugins" feauture
> of mozilla-firefox) to install flashplayer, no way.
> It does not work.
>
> Any hint?
>
> apt-get flashplayer gives no result

Maybe because there is no such thing as a Macromedia Flashplayer for
AMD64, yet. I must say that I don't miss the CPU-hogging, flashy
advertisement, but sometimes I wish I could watch some flash movies. For
those cases, the open source project (which is part of Debian) might or
might not work. You can also use the IA32 chroot for that.

You can check Macromedia forums and see that many people have
volunteered there to port the player, but there has been no results so
far (I guess that Macromedia doesn't take them/us seriously enough).
Maybe we can expect one after 64-bit WinXP is released, but I don't daresay.

Greetings,


--
Javier Kohen <jko...@users.sourceforge.net>
ICQ: blashyrkh #2361802
Jabber: jko...@jabber.org

Karol Krizka

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 2:50:10 PM2/27/05
to
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:30:35 +0000, Erik Norman <erik....@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have tried several times (using the "install missing plugins" feauture
> of mozilla-firefox) to install flashplayer, no way.
> It does not work.
>
> Any hint?
I think I have read on this list that konqueror can use 32bit flash
because of it's design? Not sure, you might want to check the
archives.

--
Cheers,
Karol Krizka

Wolfgang Mader

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 3:00:12 PM2/27/05
to
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Sunday 27 February 2005 21:30, Erik Norman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have tried several times (using the "install missing plugins" feauture
> of mozilla-firefox) to install flashplayer, no way.
> It does not work.
>
> Any hint?
>
> apt-get flashplayer gives no result
>
> Erik

I have not found flashplayer for amd64. I think the plugin is only i386.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFCI3JHi9QYB3W16SMRAgaJAJ0QFu7pFO6NbpqPqByBkAUbt4VqRACeMMdN
sw+3cV+kUL//K5Amt9+skKc=
=nvnL
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Erik Norman

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 3:00:13 PM2/27/05
to
I have sent a complaint about a missing plugin.
well the site does not respond any longer.

Erik

On Son, 2005-02-27 at 14:42 -0500, Peter Nelson wrote:


> Erik Norman wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have tried several times (using the "install missing plugins" feauture
> >of mozilla-firefox) to install flashplayer, no way.
> >It does not work.
> >
> >Any hint?
> >
> >

> There is no flash player for amd64. From
> http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/faq.html:
>
> *10. Where is Flash for PowerPC or x86-64 Linux?*
>
> It does not exist probably because Macromedia management feel there
> is no demand. Contact Macromedia
> <http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/contact/> and express your
> opinion if you truly care about this. Also buy more x86-64 hardware
> (AMD64, not the crap Intel stuff) to make the platform truly
> lucrative for software makers in a business sense.
>
> There is libflash-swfplayer, an open-source one, but it's very, very buggy.
>
> -Peter Nelson

Peter Nelson

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 3:10:10 PM2/27/05
to
Erik Norman wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have tried several times (using the "install missing plugins" feauture
>of mozilla-firefox) to install flashplayer, no way.
>It does not work.
>
>Any hint?
>
>

There is no flash player for amd64. From
http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/faq.html:

*10. Where is Flash for PowerPC or x86-64 Linux?*

It does not exist probably because Macromedia management feel there
is no demand. Contact Macromedia
<http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/contact/> and express your
opinion if you truly care about this. Also buy more x86-64 hardware
(AMD64, not the crap Intel stuff) to make the platform truly
lucrative for software makers in a business sense.

There is libflash-swfplayer, an open-source one, but it's very, very buggy.

-Peter Nelson


Juergen Kreileder

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 3:30:10 PM2/27/05
to
Anders Helmersson <anders.helme...@wasadata.net> writes:

> On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 10:04:21 -0800, tony mancill wrote:
>> The plugin seems to work, but now when I start mozilla, I get the
>> following:
>>
>> tony@honig:/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins$ mozilla grep: error while
>> loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object
>> file: No such file or directory cut: error while loading shared
>> libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file
>> or directory sed: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6:
>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>

> I have had the same problem and it seems to be caused by the line
> export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
> in the set_jvm_vars () in /usr/bin/firefox

Likely, I don't have a Debian/amd64 installation but AFAIK it's
NPTL-only. With LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 glibc tries to load
LinuxThreads instead and that isn't available.

> I am not sure if this is related to our installations or if it is a
> bug in the firefox startup script.

The script should be patched for amd64, all existing amd64 VMs work
fine with NPTL

> In addition, I get problems when using the java blackdown plugin
> with some applications on the web (a secure login function) the java
> application fails sometimes with a segfault and sometimes it
> produces the attached error log ("An unexpected exception has been
> detected in native code outside the VM").

Mozilla's OJI interface still has 64-bit issues. I've written fixes
for Sun over a year ago but it looks like they still haven't pushed
them into Mozilla.


Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/

Erik Norman

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 3:50:11 PM2/27/05
to
well, what to do to get javaplugin for mozilla(-firefox) running?

Erik

Karol Krizka

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 5:00:13 PM2/27/05
to
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ernest jw ter Kuile <ejw...@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:48:47 +0100
Subject: 32bit plugins for 64bit konqueror
To: Karol Krizka <kkr...@gmail.com>


On Sunday 27 February 2005 20:46, Karol Krizka wrote:
>
> I think I have read on this list that konqueror can use 32bit flash
> because of it's design? Not sure, you might want to check the
> archives.

the Suse/Gentoo boys dreamed up this workaround:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=216959

might be worth a try.

Ernest.

Javier Kohen

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 5:20:10 PM2/27/05
to

The proposed solution involves overriding parts of the system with
32-bit libraries and binaries.

Debian cleanly supports 32-bit libraries (see package ia32-libs), but
not binaries. You can still make a chroot jail and run the browser from
there, as suggested in the How To. Unless you're really short in hard
disk space, this shouldn't be a problem and it works great for most
cases. For the rest, the proposed solution won't work better anyway.

Karol Krizka wrote:
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Ernest jw ter Kuile <ejw...@xs4all.nl>
> Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:48:47 +0100
> Subject: 32bit plugins for 64bit konqueror
> To: Karol Krizka <kkr...@gmail.com>
>
>
> On Sunday 27 February 2005 20:46, Karol Krizka wrote:
>
>>I think I have read on this list that konqueror can use 32bit flash
>>because of it's design? Not sure, you might want to check the
>>archives.
>
>
> the Suse/Gentoo boys dreamed up this workaround:
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=216959
>
> might be worth a try.
>
> Ernest.
>
>


--

Javier Kohen <jko...@users.sourceforge.net>
ICQ: blashyrkh #2361802
Jabber: jko...@jabber.org

Dustin Nicholas Jenkins

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 5:30:12 PM2/27/05
to
The Alioth documentation says that it's only available via an IA32
chroot for now ->
https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html

Dustin

Goswin von Brederlow

unread,
Feb 27, 2005, 9:40:06 PM2/27/05
to
Javier Kohen <jko...@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> The proposed solution involves overriding parts of the system with
> 32-bit libraries and binaries.
>
> Debian cleanly supports 32-bit libraries (see package ia32-libs), but
> not binaries. You can still make a chroot jail and run the browser

Sure it does. You just have to build them.

MfG
Goswin

Daniel James

unread,
Feb 28, 2005, 5:20:09 AM2/28/05
to
Peter Nelson wrote:

> There is libflash-swfplayer, an open-source one, but it's very,
> very buggy.

Is there scope to support the developers of the free code better? I
mean, x86_64 desktop users have a clear interest here.

The project has recently become active again - homepage is here:

http://gplflash.sourceforge.net/

Cheers

Daniel

T.J. Zeeman

unread,
Feb 28, 2005, 2:31:49 PM2/28/05
to
On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 21:47 +0000, Erik Norman wrote:
> well, what to do to get javaplugin for mozilla(-firefox) running?

I got it working with a deb from the following mirror:

deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian/ sid non-free

Do note that not all blackdown mirrors carry these packages yet and that
you have to manually fix the links to the plugin. It is missing the part
where it points to the amd64 dir in the link from the alternatives
system: /usr/lib/j2se/1.4/jre/plugin/amd64/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so

The other gotcha is that it only works with mozilla, not firefox. At
least that is my experience.

HTH,
Thomas

Juan A

unread,
Feb 28, 2005, 8:30:13 PM2/28/05
to
I've got no problems with firefox just needed to fix the links too!

T.J. Zeeman escribió:
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages