Sun Blade 100, problems with DVD drive

transmail

Apr 8, 2017, 4:40:02 PM4/8/17
I tried to boot up Solaris 10 from my Blade 100, but when i insert the DVD, the drive spins up, tries to do something, then ejects itself. If i instert the FreeBSD 11 CD, then it does not eject automatically, but when i tell "boot cdrom", it tells me, that it "cannot read disk label", the "cannot read disk label package" and "cannot open boot device".
If i tell "probe-ide" all the HDD, SSD and the CD shows up. "show-disks" enlist a cdrom and a disk (which is i don't know what it is). If i select a) and then tell "boot ^Y" (which inserts the cdrom's reference (?)) then it tells me, that "invalid IDE interface number" and "cannot open boot device".

I guess, i'm doing something wrong again, but i have no idea what.

- TCH

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Apr 9, 2017, 5:10:02 AM4/9/17
On 04/08/2017 10:32 PM, transmail wrote:
> I guess, i'm doing something wrong again, but i have no idea what.

Have you verified that the CD-ROM drive actually works properly,
i.e. by testing a known good medium?

Adrian

--
.''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' : Debian Developer - glau...@debian.org

Mark Morgan Lloyd

Apr 9, 2017, 5:10:02 AM4/9/17
I can't help but how exactly did you prepare the disc you're trying to boot?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

transmail

Apr 9, 2017, 7:10:02 AM4/9/17
Both medium was OK on my x86 Linux box. I tried to run Debian 9 Sparc64 by "boot cdrom", but also no avail.

transmail

Apr 9, 2017, 7:10:02 AM4/9/17
I just wrote the ISO out.

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Apr 9, 2017, 7:40:01 AM4/9/17
That's not a proof that this drive works. Try reading a known good medium, e.g. a commercially pressed CD and see if that works.

And, even if that works, it could still be that the old CD-ROM drive in your SPARC doesn't handle CD-Rs.

You really need to make sure the drive can deal with the CDs you've created. Testing them on a modern drive is moot. Modern drives are more tolerant with CD-Rs and CD-RWs.

Adrian

Mark Morgan Lloyd

Apr 9, 2017, 8:10:02 AM4/9/17
> That's not a proof that this drive works. Try reading a known good medium, e.g. a commercially pressed CD and see if that works.
>
> And, even if that works, it could still be that the old CD-ROM drive in your SPARC doesn't handle CD-Rs.
>
> You really need to make sure the drive can deal with the CDs you've created. Testing them on a modern drive is moot. Modern drives are more tolerant with CD-Rs and CD-RWs.

I think that system had a comparatively-recent IDE-connected DVD, but
mine's somewhere waiting to be scrapped and I'm afraid I'm not going
digging for it.

transmail

Apr 9, 2017, 10:50:01 AM4/9/17
I put my (commercial) Imperium Galactica 2 CD into the drive and tried to "boot cdrom". Same result as before.

My drive is a Hitachi GD-7000 DVD-ROM. It should be okay. Should i try it in another machine?

transmail

Apr 9, 2017, 11:00:02 AM4/9/17
I've tried to set auto-boot? to false but it's still ejecting my Solaris DVD. What can cause this?

Kevin Stabel

Apr 9, 2017, 11:10:02 AM4/9/17
This is a burned DVD yeah?

It could actually be a fairly obscure issue, namely DVD-R vs DVD+R

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 4:51 PM, transmail <tran...@freemail.hu> wrote:
I've tried to set auto-boot? to false but it's still ejecting my Solaris DVD. What can cause this?

transmail

Apr 9, 2017, 11:20:02 AM4/9/17
Yes, it is. It's a DVD+RW. And both the FreeBSD and Debian CD-s i tried to boot up were CD-RW. Should i try CD-R and DVD-R?

Kevin Stabel <kevin....@gmail.com> írta:
>This is a burned DVD yeah?It could actually be a fairly obscure issue, namely DVD-R vs DVD+RPlease have a look here: https://pc.net/helpcenter/answers/different_dvd_r_formatsOn Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 4:51 PM, transmail tran...@freemail.hu> wrote:I&#39;ve tried to set auto-boot? to false but it&#39;s still ejecting my Solaris DVD. What can cause this?
>
>Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.de...@telemetry.co.uk> írta:

>>On 09/04/17 12:00, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

>>> That&#39;s not a proof that this drive works. Try reading a known good medium, e.g. a commercially pressed CD and see if that works.
>>>
>>> And, even if that works, it could still be that the old CD-ROM drive in your SPARC doesn&#39;t handle CD-Rs.
>>>
>>> You really need to make sure the drive can deal with the CDs you&#39;ve created. Testing them on a modern drive is moot. Modern drives are more tolerant with CD-Rs and CD-RWs.

>>I think that system had a comparatively-recent IDE-connected DVD, but

>>mine&#39;s somewhere waiting to be scrapped and I&#39;m afraid I&#39;m not going

>>digging for it.
>>
>>--
>>Mark Morgan Lloyd
>>markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk
>>

>>[Opinions above are the author&#39;s, not those of his employers or colleagues]

Kevin Stabel

Apr 9, 2017, 11:50:02 AM4/9/17
If you don't mind the cost of one disc, you could.
If you do mind the cost, you could try to look up what your drive supports.

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 5:11 PM, transmail <tran...@freemail.hu> wrote:
Yes, it is. It's a DVD+RW. And both the FreeBSD and Debian CD-s i tried to boot up were CD-RW. Should i try CD-R and DVD-R?

Kevin Stabel <kevin....@gmail.com> írta:
>This is a burned DVD yeah?It could actually be a fairly obscure issue, namely DVD-R vs DVD+RPlease have a look here: https://pc.net/helpcenter/answers/different_dvd_r_formatsOn Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 4:51 PM, transmail tran...@freemail.hu> wrote:I&#39;ve tried to set auto-boot? to false but it&#39;s still ejecting my Solaris DVD. What can cause this?
>
>Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.debian-sparc@telemetry.co.uk> írta:

transmail

Apr 9, 2017, 1:00:03 PM4/9/17
You were right, DVD+RW is not supported by this drive.
However CD-RW is and still, i cannot boot up neither FreeBSD 11, nor Debian 9. Any idea why?
(Hitachi GD-7000 docs are here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bph06479)

Kevin Stabel <kevin....@gmail.com> írta:
>If you don&#39;t mind the cost of one disc, you could.If you do mind the cost, you could try to look up what your drive supports.On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 5:11 PM, transmail tran...@freemail.hu> wrote:Yes, it is. It&#39;s a DVD+RW. And both the FreeBSD and Debian CD-s i tried to boot up were CD-RW. Should i try CD-R and DVD-R?
>
>Kevin Stabel kevin....@gmail.com> írta:
>>This is a burned DVD yeah?It could actually be a fairly obscure issue, namely DVD-R vs DVD+RPlease have a look here: https://pc.net/helpcenter/answers/different_dvd_r_formatsOn Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 4:51 PM, transmail tran...@freemail.hu> wrote:I&amp;#39;ve tried to set auto-boot? to false but it&amp;#39;s still ejecting my Solaris DVD. What can cause this?
>>
>>Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.de...@telemetry.co.uk> írta:

>>>I think that system had a comparatively-recent IDE-connected DVD, but

>>>mine&amp;#39;s somewhere waiting to be scrapped and I&amp;#39;m afraid I&amp;#39;m not going

>>>digging for it.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Mark Morgan Lloyd
>>>markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk
>>>

>>>[Opinions above are the author&amp;#39;s, not those of his employers or colleagues]

transmail

Apr 9, 2017, 4:10:02 PM4/9/17
In the meantime i've remembered, that i have an IDE DVD-RW and i replaced the drive. Now it does not eject the Solaris DVD, but i still cannot boot anything with "boot cdrom".

Kevin Stabel <kevin....@gmail.com> írta:
>If you don&#39;t mind the cost of one disc, you could.If you do mind the cost, you could try to look up what your drive supports.On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 5:11 PM, transmail tran...@freemail.hu> wrote:Yes, it is. It&#39;s a DVD+RW. And both the FreeBSD and Debian CD-s i tried to boot up were CD-RW. Should i try CD-R and DVD-R?
>
>Kevin Stabel kevin....@gmail.com> írta:
>>This is a burned DVD yeah?It could actually be a fairly obscure issue, namely DVD-R vs DVD+RPlease have a look here: https://pc.net/helpcenter/answers/different_dvd_r_formatsOn Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 4:51 PM, transmail tran...@freemail.hu> wrote:I&amp;#39;ve tried to set auto-boot? to false but it&amp;#39;s still ejecting my Solaris DVD. What can cause this?
>>
>>Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.de...@telemetry.co.uk> írta:

>>>I think that system had a comparatively-recent IDE-connected DVD, but

>>>mine&amp;#39;s somewhere waiting to be scrapped and I&amp;#39;m afraid I&amp;#39;m not going

>>>digging for it.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Mark Morgan Lloyd
>>>markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk
>>>

>>>[Opinions above are the author&amp;#39;s, not those of his employers or colleagues]

Gasha

Apr 10, 2017, 6:50:03 AM4/10/17
Maybe offtopic.

I remember, that there were serious issues with Sun Enterprise E250 and DVD.

1) Images larger than 2 Gb were not supported by firmware/OBP.
2) Images larger than 3.4 or 4 Gb were not supported by Hitachi DVD.
3) Not sure about DVD-RW support.
4) Swapping another DVD unit did not solve problem, because of OBP.

Anyway, booting anything recent Solaris was not possible, so only netboot.
I spent considerable amount of time to install Solaris 10.

Gasha

transmail

Apr 10, 2017, 8:20:02 AM4/10/17
The problem is, that i cannot even boot CD-s, which are definetly smaller than 2 GB.