power management PMU flags and battery Info

Riccardo Mottola

Dec 21, 2023, 5:30:05 AM12/21/23

I am giving a refresh to the GNUstep BatteryMonitor [*] and was checking
its support to PMU. Right now it ignores battery flags and thought of
using them, but they appear to give bad data on my iBook.

I found in the linux kernel doc
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/macintosh/via-pmu.c
This explanation of the flags:
/* format:
* [0] : flags
* 0x01 : AC indicator
* 0x02 : charging
* 0x04 : battery exist
* 0x08 :
* 0x10 :
* 0x20 : full charged
* 0x40 : pcharge reset
* 0x80 : battery exist
*
* [1][2] : battery voltage
* [3] : CPU temperature
* [4] : battery temperature
* [5] : current
* [6][7] : pcharge
* --tkoba

However, if I check the flags exposed, they seem bogus and never updated:

Charging:
cat /proc/pmu/battery_0

flags : 00000011
charge : 3819
max_charge : 3819
current : 0
voltage : 16739
time rem. : 0

Discharging:
cat /proc/pmu/battery_0

flags : 00000011
charge : 3796
max_charge : 3819
current : -739
voltage : 16392
time rem. : 18492

So I am unable (except checking for current flow) if I am really
connected to mains, if it is charging or not. Anybody has ideas here?
Maybe a bug? I am interestd in 0,1,2 & 7

Riccardo

[*] https://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gap/trunk/system-apps/batmon/