xorg not starting with daily DVD.iso

Paul Dufresne

Apr 28, 2022, 4:30:03 AM4/28/22
Thanks for the incredibly fast answer to my previous question!

I will go with an other one:

I did:
su -
dpkg-reconfigure x11-common
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg-legacy
choosed to allow all to start xserver

then, I tried first as a normal user, then as root (because you said root was allowed to lspci devices, not normal users):

startx
results in:
xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused

grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log show that:

failed to load fbdevhw (invalid module, 0)
VESA(0) Cannot read int vect

Was it expected?

Samuel Thibault

Apr 28, 2022, 4:40:02 AM4/28/22
Paul Dufresne, le jeu. 28 avril 2022 04:25:56 -0400, a ecrit:
> grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log show that:
>
> failed to load fbdevhw (invalid module, 0)
> VESA(0) Cannot read int vect
>
> Was it expected?

No, that needs to be investigated.

Samuel

Samuel Thibault

Apr 28, 2022, 4:40:02 AM4/28/22
Paul Dufresne, le jeu. 28 avril 2022 04:25:56 -0400, a ecrit:
> then, I tried first as a normal user, then as root (because you said root was allowed to lspci devices, not normal users):

(note that Xorg runs as root anyway, thanks to the setuid
/usr/lib/xorg/Xorg.wrap)

Samuel

Samuel Thibault

Apr 28, 2022, 10:20:02 AM4/28/22
Samuel Thibault, le jeu. 28 avril 2022 10:30:27 +0200, a ecrit:
Just to be clear: that means actually looking at the source code, which
can easily found by using codesearch:

https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=Cannot+read+int+vect&hl=en

and then put prints etc. to get back to where things start going wrong.

Samuel

Samuel Thibault

Aug 23, 2022, 1:40:03 PM8/23/22
This is now fixed with libpciaccess0 version 0.16-3+hurd.4, which will
appear on debian-ports' unreleased within about 6h.

Samuel