System hangs on 'reboot'.

Marcin Laszewski

May 2, 2022, 3:10:03 AM5/2/22
I have had my Debian/Hurd on real machine (Celleron, 512MB RAM) for 2 years
and it frequently hangs when rebotin (no messages, just hangs). I don't
know te reason but this seems to solve the problem:

$ sync; sync; sync; reboot

ml.

guy fleury iteriteka

May 2, 2022, 3:20:02 AM5/2/22
Try reboot-hurd instead of reboot

ml.

Marcin Laszewski

May 3, 2022, 9:00:03 AM5/3/22
> (...)
> Try reboot-hurd instead of reboot

Thank you, it works.

What is the diffrence between this 'reboot-hurd' and regular 'reboot' ?

ml.

guy fleury iteriteka

May 3, 2022, 10:40:03 AM5/3/22

On Tue, May 3, 2022, 2:51 PM Marcin Laszewski <marcin.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)
> Try reboot-hurd instead of reboot

Thank you, it works.
Great

What is the diffrence between this 'reboot-hurd' and regular 'reboot' ?
I'm not sure but I think reboot-hurd ensure that core servers like ext2fs sync their buffers before shutdown.

Samuel is that correct?

ml.

Samuel Thibault

May 4, 2022, 1:30:03 PM5/4/22
Hello,

guy fleury iteriteka, le mar. 03 mai 2022 16:34:29 +0200, a ecrit:
> > What is the diffrence between this 'reboot-hurd' and regular 'reboot' ?
>
> I'm not sure but I think reboot-hurd ensure that core servers like ext2fs sync
> their buffers before shutdown.
>
> Samuel is that correct?

reboot actually eventually does the same as reboot-hurd, so there is no
difference in that concern.

The difference is that reboot first tries to shutdown running processes.
If that hangs that should be investigated to make it work.

Put another way: reboot-hurd is quite harder on rebooting immediately,
it only takes care of syncing the disk, without telling processes
themselves to write their data.

The consequence is also that removed-but-still-mapped files (e.g. after
a library upgrade) won't be suppressed until next fsck, see
https://darnassus.sceen.net/~hurd-web/open_issues/ext2fs_dtime/

Samuel