Kuser

MERLIN Philippe

Apr 5, 2023, 6:40:03 AM4/5/23

Hello,

Can someone tell me which application has the same functionality as the Kuser application which was abandoned in Kde5?

Thanks.

Philippe Merlin

Soren Stoutner

Apr 5, 2023, 3:15:04 PM4/5/23
Does anyone know why this functionality was dropped? Is there a compelling
reason or was it simply for lack of someone willing to maintain it?

--
Soren Stoutner
so...@stoutner.com

Brad Rogers

Apr 5, 2023, 4:00:04 PM4/5/23
On Wed, 05 Apr 2023 12:03:41 -0700
Soren Stoutner <so...@stoutner.com> wrote:

Hello Soren,

There's no need to Cc; I'm subbed (one has to be) so will see messages
on list.

>Does anyone know why this functionality was dropped? Is there a

Conjecture on my part (I'm not a developer)......

>compelling reason or was it simply for lack of someone willing to

.....allowing non-comprehending users (even though it requires root/su
authority) easy access to changing group permissions and memberships via
GUI can be a recipe for disaster.

--
Regards _ "Valid sig separator is {dash}{dash}{space}"
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"

Soren Stoutner

Apr 5, 2023, 4:10:03 PM4/5/23
Sounds like a very Mac philosophy that I thought I got away from with Linux.
;)

On Wednesday, April 5, 2023 12:36:31 PM MST Brad Rogers wrote:
> >compelling reason or was it simply for lack of someone willing to
>
> .....allowing non-comprehending users (even though it requires root/su
> authority) easy access to changing group permissions and memberships via
> GUI can be a recipe for disaster.

--
Soren Stoutner
so...@stoutner.com
signature.asc

Aurélien COUDERC

Apr 5, 2023, 4:40:04 PM4/5/23

Le 5 avril 2023 22:01:16 GMT+02:00, Soren Stoutner <so...@stoutner.com> a écrit :
>Sounds like a very Mac philosophy that I thought I got away from with Linux.
>;)

Yeah agreed, it's not in the spirit of KDE to drop features for the sake of it, and I'd think it was more for a question of resources and/or interest in diving into that topic.

Best would be to check upstream bug reports and file one for the functionality that you're missing if it doesn't already exist.

Happy hacking,
--
Aurélien

Brad Rogers

Apr 5, 2023, 5:00:04 PM4/5/23
On Wed, 05 Apr 2023 13:01:16 -0700
Soren Stoutner <so...@stoutner.com> wrote:

Hello Soren,

{smiley noted}

>Sounds like a very Mac philosophy that I thought I got away from with
>Linux.

Maybe, IDK; Never paid any attention to Macs. I lost interest in Apple
and their shenanigans decades ago. Since that's off-topic, I'll leave
it there.

--
Regards _ "Valid sig separator is {dash}{dash}{space}"
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is never immediately apparent"
/ _)rad "Is it only me that has a working delete key?"
Black man got a lot of problems, but he don't mind throwing a brick
White Riot - The Clash