Akonadi won't play with webdav

Borden

May 2, 2023, 4:20:02 AM5/2/23
It seems recently that Akonadi won't play with my CalDav and CardDav server. The server works because DAVx5 and the web interface work. On Debian bullseye, fully up-to-date.

I've run the logger in Akonadi Konsole, restarted Akonadi, cleared the caches, checked the settings, all to no avail. My address book and calendar are both gone from Kontact.

The logger shows nothing of interest to me, so either I don't know what to look for, or Akonadi also doesn't provide useful information.

Questions:
1) Does anyone else have the same problem?
2) Can anyone suggest a troubleshooting procedure to figure out why it's not working?

With thanks,

Soren Stoutner

May 2, 2023, 3:20:04 PM5/2/23
I don’t know if I can add any helpful information for troubleshooting your
problem, but I can confirm that in my case, Akonadi is working correctly with
CalDav and CardDav running on a Nextcloud server. I am running the current
packages in testing, which will shortly become bookworm. Perhaps you might
consider upgrading, which also gives you the ability to provide feedback on
any bullseye > bookworm transitions.
--
Soren Stoutner
so...@stoutner.com

Borden

May 2, 2023, 6:30:04 PM5/2/23
May 2, 2023, 15:15 by so...@stoutner.com:

> I am running the current> packages in testing, which will shortly become bookworm. Perhaps you might
> consider upgrading, which also gives you the ability to provide feedback on
> any bullseye > bookworm transitions.

I stand corrected. I'm on bookworm, not bullseye. Debian shouldn't name consecutive releases that start with the same letter. I'll stop making that mistake with trixie.

Borden

May 6, 2023, 3:21:46 AM5/6/23
Something must have changed somewhere. I ripped out the DAV Akonadi connector, and re-added my address books and calendars using the _exact_ DAV URL. I recall it used to find them automatically when I put in the base URL and hit "Fetch." Now Akonadi needs its hand held through the process.

So let's see how long it works until it breaks again...

Still willing to support an Akonadi-less KDE PIM suite.

Borden

May 6, 2023, 3:51:11 AM5/6/23
6 May 2023, 03:13 by bord...@tutanota.com:

> Something must have changed somewhere. I ripped out the DAV Akonadi connector, and re-added my address books and calendars using the _exact_ DAV URL. I recall it used to find them automatically when I put in the base URL and hit "Fetch." Now Akonadi needs its hand held through the process.
>
> So let's see how long it works until it breaks again...
>
> Still willing to support an Akonadi-less KDE PIM suite.

I owe the Akonadi team a partial apology (but only this time). The issue was my fault. I hand-edited files in my DAV archives and deleted the UUID from one of the entries, which my DAV server doesn't like (even though the property is optional). The missing UUID caused the DAV server to throw HTTP 500 errors.

Akonadi still bears _some_ responsibility for breaking silently instead of being explicit about the HTTP 500 error, and the DAV server bears some responsibility for making me search too long to find the source of the 500 error.