Is there a concept of related packages migration between unstable and testing that can be used for KDE Plasma?

1 view

Shmerl

Nov 2, 2023, 3:10:05 AM11/2/23

Can maintainers set a group of packages as required to be migrated at the same time for consistency?

KDE Plasma in particular is versioning a bunch of related packages as a group (versions 5.27.8, 5.27.9, etc.).

But I noticed that they migrate from unstable to testing in chunks, some earlier some later due to various hiccups for some of them.

That can create an inconsistent mix for users of testing who upgrade that without noticing.

Making such packages migrate as an interdependent group (if it's even possible) could prevent such kind of situations.

Regards,

Shmerl.

Andrey Rakhmatullin

Nov 2, 2023, 3:40:03 AM11/2/23
On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 02:53:02AM -0400, Shmerl wrote:
> Can maintainers set a group of packages as required to be migrated at the
> same time for consistency?
Yes, by setting versioned dependencies.

> KDE Plasma in particular is versioning a bunch of related packages as a
> group (versions 5.27.8, 5.27.9, etc.).
>
> But I noticed that they migrate from unstable to testing in chunks, some
> earlier some later due to various hiccups for some of them.
>
> That can create an inconsistent mix for users of testing who upgrade that
> without noticing.
If this causes incompatible package sets, versioned deps should be added.
But I guess "an inconsistent mix" may mean something else?

Shmerl

Nov 2, 2023, 1:40:03 PM11/2/23
> Yes, by setting versioned dependencies.

So is there a reason it's not done for Debian unstable → testing migration? It would help I think.

> But I guess "an inconsistent mix" may mean something else?

I simply mean versions mismatch like above. See current situation in testing for example (it might change soon, but still):

plasma-desktop:  4:5.27.8-2
plasma-pa:4:5.27.9-1

Regards,
Shmerl

Andrey Rakhmatullin

Nov 2, 2023, 2:10:05 PM11/2/23
On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 01:17:55PM -0400, Shmerl wrote:
> > Yes, by setting versioned dependencies.
> So is there a reason it's not done for Debian unstable → testing migration?
Is there a reason it should be done, as you say later it's purely about
version numbers?

> It would help I think.
Help what exactly?

Shmerl

Nov 2, 2023, 4:40:03 PM11/2/23
> Is there a reason it should be done, as you say later it's purely about version numbers?

The reason is that KDE makes a versioned release as a consistent whole. They never
guaranteed mixed versions of Plasma related package to be compatible (either backwards
or forwards). So having such mix is always a potential for any kind of problems.

See how KDE Neon releases are done for instance to compare.

Regards,
Shmerl.

Soren Stoutner

Nov 2, 2023, 4:42:57 PM11/2/23
On Thursday, November 2, 2023 11:01:52 AM MST Andrey Rakhmatullin wrote:
> Is there a reason it should be done, as you say later it's purely about
> version numbers?

Yes. There are odd bugs that get introduces into testing by these version
mismatches.

--
Soren Stoutner
so...@stoutner.com