GTK themes in KDE

Miguel A. Vallejo

Jan 6, 2024, 4:10:04 PMJan 6
Hello!

Today I faced an interesting problem. After a clean KDE installation in Debian Sid the default theme was Breeze, which is ok for me, but I changed the cursor theme to Breeze light, just because I'm used to white cursors...

But soon I noticed the cursor changed to a black one over GTK applications (for example Chrome)... so  I have white or black cursors depending on the program I'm running.

In Settings --> Application Style --> GNOME/GTK Application Style the only available options are Breeze, default and Emacs, but all of them produce black cursors over GTK applications.

How Can I have a Breeze-light like cursors over GTK applications? A quick search in Debian packages does not show anything like breeze-light-gtk-theme-kde or even similar.

Thanks in advance.

Soren Stoutner

Jan 6, 2024, 4:40:04 PMJan 6
I had this problem a while back with a fresh install of testing. I don’t
remember exactly all the steps that fixed it, but it was something along the
lines of setting the theme to be something other than the default, like Breeze
Dark, then setting it back to Breeze, then resetting the cursor theme to
Breeze Light.

Something about toggling things back and forth reset whatever is needed to
also apply to GTK applications.

Of course, in sid there might be something else going on. But I would at
least start with that.
--
Soren Stoutner
so...@stoutner.com

Miguel A. Vallejo

Jan 6, 2024, 6:20:04 PMJan 6
After spending some time changing themes back and forth I achieved something funny in QT applications: white cursor over window title and black cursor over window content. It seems something is messed up with KDE themes, both in QT and GTK.

I left the black cursors for now... at least they are consistent everywhere.

Thank you for the suggestions

Soren Stoutner

Jan 8, 2024, 6:10:04 PMJan 8
I just had an opportunity to do a fresh bookworm install and encountered the
same problem. I was able to fix it with the following steps.

1. Change the main theme from Breeze Dark to Breeze.
2. Change the cursor theme from Breeze to Breeze Light.

At this point, I rebooted for other reasons. That probably isn’t needed, but
I mention it just in case.

I then opened a GTK app an noticed that the cursor was displaying dark just
inside the app.

3. Change the cursor theme from Breeze Light to Breeze.
4. Change the cursor theme from Breeze back to Breeze Light.

This resolved the problem on bookworm for any GTK app opened after completing
step 4. Sid might be a little different.
--
Soren Stoutner
so...@stoutner.com

Miguel A. Vallejo

Jan 9, 2024, 8:10:04 AMJan 9
Thank you for your advice.

After four or five reboots(*) and changing themes and cursors, all cursors are white everywhere. I noticed that every time I change the theme, the cursors resets, so the correct way to do it is to set the theme, restart(*), set the cursors, restart(*) and check everything. If there are still no white cursors everywhere, repeat.

* Logout/login seems to do the job and is faster.

Miguel A. Vallejo

Jan 9, 2024, 3:50:04 PMJan 9
Bad news....

After turning on the computer this evening, QT applications have white cursor and GTK applications black cursors.

Something is broken in the GTK theming in KDE.