Store Wikimedia Commons picture of the day and description

Patrice Coni

Nov 26, 2022, 1:10:02 PM11/26/22
Dear debian-legal people,

I develop a software that downloads the daily photo of Wikimedia Commons
will
set it as wallpaper on a X11 desktop environment. The software does
download
and store the picture in a directory.
The image description is stored in a database in the home directory.
In addition, the description link is also saved. This can be called up
at any
time and information about the author and the license applicable to the
photo
can be queried. Is what I'm about to do legal?

I looked it up on the Wikimedia Commons website, but I'm not entirely
sure if
I understood everything correctly. I don't want to violate other people's
rights.

My goal is that the software to be included by Debian.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Patrice Coni

Stephan Verbücheln

Nov 26, 2022, 1:30:02 PM11/26/22
First of all, the program itself should be legal in any case as long as
you are not distributing any pictures with Debian.

Secondly, it is probably a good idea to save the author and license
information with the description.

Regards
signature.asc

Gunnar Wolf

Nov 26, 2022, 1:30:02 PM11/26/22
Patrice Coni dijo [Sat, Nov 26, 2022 at 06:38:52PM +0100]:
First of all, neither you nor your program's users will have any
problems derived from what you described. Wikimedia's content is all
freely redistributable, and is always tagged with the licensing
information.

Some licenses accepted by Wikimedia are not compliant with Debian's
Free Software Guidelines. For example, today's photo is licensed under
a very weird license, CE Photo:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lahad-Datu_Sabah_Mount-Silam-Red-Crab-Geosesarma-aurantium-02.jpg

However, downloading and displaying it with the correct attribution as
you mention is _always_ legally possible, as that is one of
Wikimedia's core values. You can read more on Wikimedia Commons'
licensing rules at:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Licensing

Greetings,

Martin Steigerwald

Nov 26, 2022, 2:20:03 PM11/26/22
Gunnar Wolf - 26.11.22, 19:26:45 CET:
> Some licenses accepted by Wikimedia are not compliant with Debian's
> Free Software Guidelines. For example, today's photo is licensed under
> a very weird license, CE Photo:
>

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lahad-Datu_Sabah_Mount-Silam-> Red-Crab-Geosesarma-aurantium-02.jpg

According to

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Cccefalon/fb

this license is just CC-BY-SA. And its confirmed further down the page of
the link you posted:

Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported

Ciao,
--
Martin