Re: hard linking libboost copyright files

Steve Langasek

Feb 4, 2024, 4:40:06 AMFeb 4
On Sun, Feb 04, 2024 at 05:38:57AM +0000, Muhammad Yaaseen wrote:

> we see that the copyright for libboost debian packages are 2MB each and
> are all the same. as per
> https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html section
> 12.5<https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html%20section%2012.5>
> we are not allowed to create symbolic links. the doubt I have is whether
> I can hardlink these files and reduce the memory utilization.

This isn't really a legal question; as a practical matter, it is not
possible to ship cross-package hardlinks in .deb packages.

Ubuntu Developer https://www.debian.org/
slan...@ubuntu.com vor...@debian.org
signature.asc

Steve Langasek

Feb 4, 2024, 6:20:04 AMFeb 4
On Sun, Feb 04, 2024 at 10:50:43AM +0000, Muhammad Yaaseen wrote:

> The question is once we install the libboost .deb packages into a system,
> the copyright file for each libboost package is stored separately in
> /usr/shared/doc/packages folder. I'm think of hardlinking these copyright
> files so that we same some memory. Is this legally allowed.

Sorry, but this is also not a mailing list for providing legal advice to end
users. If you are concerned about the legality of what you are doing
downstream of Debian, you should consult your own lawyer.
signature.asc

Andreas Metzler

Feb 4, 2024, 11:20:05 AMFeb 4
On 2024-02-04 Muhammad Yaaseen <myaa...@infinera.com> wrote:
> The question is once we install the libboost .deb packages into a
> system, the copyright file for each libboost package is stored
> separately in /usr/shared/doc/packages folder. I'm think of
> hardlinking these copyright files so that we same some memory. Is this
> legally allowed.
[...]

The canonical solution would be to add libboost-commonx.xx containing
what is currently found in /usr/share/doc/libboost-foox.xx and symlink
the whole directory. You'll probably need to make libboost-commonx.xx
arch all to be binNMU compatible.

cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'

Andreas Metzler

Feb 4, 2024, 12:40:04 PMFeb 4
On 2024-02-04 Andreas Metzler <amet...@bebt.de> wrote:
[...]

> The canonical solution would be to add libboost-commonx.xx containing
> what is currently found in /usr/share/doc/libboost-foox.xx and symlink
> the whole directory. You'll probably need to make libboost-commonx.xx
> arch all to be binNMU compatible.
^^^

arch *any* obviously, not "all".

Walter Landry

Feb 4, 2024, 1:20:04 PMFeb 4
Andreas Metzler <amet...@bebt.de> writes:
> On 2024-02-04 Muhammad Yaaseen <myaa...@infinera.com> wrote:
>> The question is once we install the libboost .deb packages into a
>> system, the copyright file for each libboost package is stored
>> separately in /usr/shared/doc/packages folder. I'm think of
>> hardlinking these copyright files so that we same some memory. Is this
>> legally allowed.
> [...]
>
> The canonical solution would be to add libboost-commonx.xx containing
> what is currently found in /usr/share/doc/libboost-foox.xx and symlink
> the whole directory. You'll probably need to make libboost-commonx.xx
> arch all to be binNMU compatible.

Another solution would be to add the Boost license to
/usr/share/common-licenses. Running

ls /usr/share/doc/*/copyright | xargs -n 100 grep "Boost Software License" | wc -l

on my bookworm system finds it in 225 packages, of which 160 are not a
libboost* package.

Cheers,
Walter Landry

Giovanni Mascellani

Feb 6, 2024, 4:30:04 PMFeb 6

Il 04/02/24 06:38, Muhammad Yaaseen ha scritto:
> we see that the copyright for libboost debian packages are 2MB each and
> are all the same. as per
> https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html section 12.5
> <https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html%20section%2012.5>
> we are not allowed to create symbolic links. the doubt I have is whether
> I can hardlink these files and reduce the memory utilization.

As one of the Boost maintainers, I agree that's a problem. I wonder
whether the best way forward would rather to aggregate the copyright
data with more coarse granularity, so that the file is shorter. I am not
really sure that we need such a detailed thing. I spent considerable
time preparing that thing, but I am not sure that is the way forward.

At any rate, unfortunately I haven't had time to work on Debian packages
for some time, so the situation is still unsolved.

Gio.