Re: Version changing while there is an opened RFS

Soren Stoutner

Jan 22, 2024, 11:50:04 AMJan 22
Since you are adopting the package you can do whichever of those options feels
best for you. All of them would be acceptable to Debian.

--
Soren Stoutner
so...@stoutner.com

Gianfranco Costamagna

Jan 22, 2024, 7:30:03 PMJan 22
Hello,

>I intent to adopt pidgin-skype package.
>The package version is based on last upstream Git main branch commit, to
>keep same versioning the package has already.
>
>To successfully enable hardening, I created a patch I contributed
>upstream by opening a pull request.
>The pull request was merged some hours after.
>
>What should I do now?
>Continue with the same version using the patch?
>Bump new version and in this case, should I only change the actual
>version in debian/changelog or create a new version to change upstream
>version and keep the version the RFS is opened for?
>
>Thanks and best regards,

As first answer?
Please ask upstream to release something new, don't make every distribution rely on git snapshots,
because it's hard to understand when something is "stable" enough without a tagged release.
If this isn't possible, either packaging a new snapshot or applying it as patch and bump Debian
revision from N to N+1 is ok.
(maybe it depends on the patch size, if small, a patch is ok to avoid import of a new tarball, if the patch
is huge, maybe the latter is preferred. Also, there might be other commits between the Debian snapshot
and the patch upstream acceptance, so check all the commits for their stability).

Sorry for not providing a good answer but "it depends" is probably the right one.

G.