Looking for sponsor with update for Debian package

Loren M. Lang

Jan 21, 2024, 5:40:04 AMJan 21
Hello,

I noticed that the rpm package was getting slightly stale and is listed
as an RFA package so I decided to take some time to help get an update
out for it. As the RPM 4.19.x branch has changed the underlying build
system, it will require a little more work which I am still in the
middle of completing, but I have finished an update to bring it up to
the latest 4.18.x which is still supported upstream. As I don't
currently have access to Salsa, I have put a copy of the repo up on my
site here:

http://www.north-winds.org/git/rpm.git

I don't currently have a VCS browser so it will need to be cloned to
review it. I also published a source package here:

http://www.north-winds.org/unix/rpm/rpm_4.18.2+dfsg-1.debian.tar.xz
http://www.north-winds.org/unix/rpm/rpm_4.18.2+dfsg-1.dsc
http://www.north-winds.org/unix/rpm/rpm_4.18.2+dfsg-1_source.build
http://www.north-winds.org/unix/rpm/rpm_4.18.2+dfsg-1_source.buildinfo
http://www.north-winds.org/unix/rpm/rpm_4.18.2+dfsg-1_source.changes
http://www.north-winds.org/unix/rpm/rpm_4.18.2+dfsg.orig.tar.xz

Once I finish fixing a couple issues with 4.19.x, I hope to have that as
well. What are the next steps to get this pushed as a proposed update
for this package?

I am looking towards possibly becoming a sponsored maintainer and
onward.

Thank you,
--
Loren M. Lang
lor...@north-winds.org

Public Key: ftp://ftp.north-winds.org/pub/lorenl_pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: 10A0 7AE2 DAF5 4780 888A 3FA4 DCEE BB39 7654 DE5B
signature.asc

Loren M. Lang

Jan 21, 2024, 6:10:04 AMJan 21
On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 11:36:37AM +0100, Hilmar Preuße wrote:
> On 21.01.24 11:29, Loren M. Lang wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > As I don't currently have access to Salsa, I have put a copy of the
> > repo up on my site here:
> >
> > http://www.north-winds.org/git/rpm.git
> >
> Just for the records:

Yes, I don't have a CGI Web browser for the VCS so it can't be viewed
with standard HTTP clients, but it is accessible to git if cloned:

$ git clone http://www.north-winds.org/git/rpm.git
Cloning into 'rpm'...
Fetching objects: 26455, done.

Maybe I should throw it up on GitHub or somewhere else with a browser,
but I didn't see a need to for this review.

> hille@haka2:~$ LANG=C wget http://www.north-winds.org/git/
> --2024-01-21 11:35:25-- http://www.north-winds.org/git/
> Resolving www.north-winds.org (www.north-winds.org)... 2001:470:e9d7::101,
> 50.126.69.19
> Connecting to www.north-winds.org
> (www.north-winds.org)|2001:470:e9d7::101|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
> 2024-01-21 11:35:25 ERROR 403: Forbidden.
>
> Same for http://www.north-winds.org/git/rpm.git .
>
> H.
> --
> Testmail
signature.asc

Loren M. Lang

Jan 21, 2024, 4:50:04 PMJan 21
On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 03:12:41PM +0100, Norwid Behrnd wrote:
> think a subject line with a specific ticket number, package name and -- in the
> particular case -- the acronym RFS would ease to follow up the progress of
> your work. Ideally it were the template reaching level 4 / Find a sponsor[1]
> offers.

Thank you for your feedback. While I am a long-time Debian user and
built packages for personal use, this is my first attempt to contribute
back so am still learning the process. I will work on filing a proper
RFS bug report with the template as documented on the Mentors Wiki.

> Inferring from your message filed by Sun, 21 Jan 2024 02:29:20 -0800 your work
> relates to rpm[2] with its RFA[3] (and hence, an existing ticket) I fetched a
> fork by
>
> ```
> git clone http://www.north-winds.org/git/rpm.git
> ```
>
> File `/debian/changelog` for your new version 4.18.2+dfsg-1 does not
> explicitly mention to close (including the corresponding ticket numbers, and
> a `closes: #NNNNNNN`) one of the bugs currently (15:10 UTC +1) listed on
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=rpm. If
> your work addressed them, may you amend accordingly the changelog file?

Yes, I will upload the changelog. So the standard procedure it to
normally file a bug report first so the changelog can be updated to
reflect it and then the source package can be generated for upload?

> Are you member of the pkg-rpm-team? If not, and if the package now were
> maintained by you, a successful upload to Debian likely might require an
> update of debian/control, in lines of `Vcs-Browser:` and `Vcs-Git:`.

I have sent a request to join the team from the email in the Maintainers
field. I also looked at the Team page, but they reference a non-existent
mailing list on Alioth.

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/pkg-rpm

I don't plan to move the Git hosting from Salsa. My branches are based
on the latest tip from the repo on Salsa and my goal is that that are
just merged into that repo.

> Best regards,
>
> Norwid
>
> [1] https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers/
> [2] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/rpm
> [3] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=923352
Fingerprint: 7896 E099 9FC7 9F6C E0ED E103 222D F356 A57A 98FA
signature.asc

Nicholas D Steeves

Jan 21, 2024, 6:20:04 PMJan 21
Replying from my phone.

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024, 14:46 Loren M. Lang, <lor...@north-winds.org> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 03:12:41PM +0100, Norwid Behrnd wrote:
> think a subject line with a specific ticket number, package name and -- in the
> particular case -- the acronym RFS would ease to follow up the progress of
> your work.  Ideally it were the template reaching level 4 / Find a sponsor[1]
> offers.

Thank you for your feedback. While I am a long-time Debian user and
built packages for personal use, this is my first attempt to contribute
back so am still learning the process. I will work on filing a proper
RFS bug report with the template as documented on the Mentors Wiki.

> Inferring from your message filed by Sun, 21 Jan 2024 02:29:20 -0800 your work
> relates to rpm[2] with its RFA[3] (and hence, an existing ticket) I fetched a
> fork by
>
> ```
> git clone http://www.north-winds.org/git/rpm.git
> ```
>
> File `/debian/changelog` for your new version 4.18.2+dfsg-1 does not
> explicitly mention to close (including the corresponding ticket numbers, and
> a `closes: #NNNNNNN`) one of the bugs currently (15:10 UTC +1) listed on
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=rpm.  If
> your work addressed them, may you amend accordingly the changelog file?

Yes, I will upload the changelog. So the standard procedure it to
normally file a bug report first so the changelog can be updated to
reflect it and then the source package can be generated for upload?

I'm not sure what you mean by the above, but the Request for Sponsorship (RFS) bug will not be closed in the changelog, because you create it after you've finalised and uploaded your updated package.

I think Norwid Behrnd is expressing that your upload fixes existing bug[s], so you should close the applicable one[s] from the changelog.  This will require a triage of the existing bugs.

> Are you member of the pkg-rpm-team?  If not, and if the package now were
> maintained by you, a successful upload to Debian likely might require an
> update of debian/control, in lines of `Vcs-Browser:` and `Vcs-Git:`.

I have sent a request to join the team from the email in the Maintainers
field. I also looked at the Team page, but they reference a non-existent
mailing list on Alioth.

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/pkg-rpm

It may also be worthwhile to CC people listed in Uploaders if you don't receive a reply in a reasonable amount of time.

I don't plan to move the Git hosting from Salsa. My branches are based
on the latest tip from the repo on Salsa and my goal is that that are
just merged into that repo.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this in principle, and it does celebrate how git is decentralised 🙂  That said, it imposes additional demands on your sponsor (and/or tram member[s]).  Long-term, how will this work in practice?  Rather than depend on someone to manually pull from non-Debian infrastructure, why not just register for a Salsa account of your own, and then push directly?

Best,
Nicholas

Nicholas D Steeves

Jan 21, 2024, 6:30:05 PMJan 21
Replying from my phone (part 2)

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024, 14:46 Loren M. Lang, <lor...@north-winds.org> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 03:12:41PM +0100, Norwid Behrnd wrote:
> think a subject line with a specific ticket number, package name and -- in the
> particular case -- the acronym RFS would ease to follow up the progress of
> your work.  Ideally it were the template reaching level 4 / Find a sponsor[1]
> offers.

Thank you for your feedback. While I am a long-time Debian user and
built packages for personal use, this is my first attempt to contribute
back so am still learning the process. I will work on filing a proper
RFS bug report with the template as documented on the Mentors Wiki.

P.S.  Maybe you'll appreciate hearing about "reportbug sponsorship-requests"?  🙂