Bug#524112: qc-usb-source: linux-2.6.29 provides an equivalent driver

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Antonio Ospite

unread,
Apr 14, 2009, 5:30:17 PM4/14/09
to
Package: qc-usb-source
Severity: wishlist


Hi,

linux-2.6.29 provides the gspca_stv06xx driver, a port to v4l2 of qc-usb which
should support all the cameras supported by qc-usb.

This is just for your info, you might consider removing qc-usb from debian in
future, for now I can just say I tested the new driver with a QuickCam Express
and it worked very well.

Regards,
Antonio Ospite

-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
APT prefers unstable
APT policy: (900, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.29-1-686 (SMP w/1 CPU core)
Locale: LANG=it_IT.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages qc-usb-source depends on:
ii bzip2 1.0.5-1 high-quality block-sorting file co
ii debhelper 7.2.7 helper programs for debian/rules
ii make 3.81-5 The GNU version of the "make" util
ii module-assistant 0.11.0 tool to make module package creati

qc-usb-source recommends no packages.

qc-usb-source suggests no packages.

--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-bugs-...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org

Martín Ferrari

unread,
May 2, 2009, 2:50:10 PM5/2/09
to
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:12, Antonio Ospite <osp...@studenti.unina.it> wrote:

> linux-2.6.29 provides the gspca_stv06xx driver, a port to v4l2 of qc-usb which
> should support all the cameras supported by qc-usb.
>
> This is just for your info, you might consider removing qc-usb from debian in
> future, for now I can just say I tested the new driver with a QuickCam Express
> and it worked very well.

Thanks for noticing this. Sadly, I don't have any camera to try it
out. So maybe other people can comment on this bug with their
experience with that driver to see if I should remove the package
altogether...

--
Martín Ferrari

Cyril Brulebois

unread,
May 8, 2009, 8:20:09 PM5/8/09
to
Martín Ferrari <martin....@gmail.com> (02/05/2009):

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:12, Antonio Ospite <osp...@studenti.unina.it> wrote:
> > linux-2.6.29 provides the gspca_stv06xx driver, a port to v4l2 of
> > qc-usb which should support all the cameras supported by qc-usb.
> >
> > This is just for your info, you might consider removing qc-usb from
> > debian in future, for now I can just say I tested the new driver
> > with a QuickCam Express and it worked very well.
>
> Thanks for noticing this. Sadly, I don't have any camera to try it
> out. So maybe other people can comment on this bug with their
> experience with that driver to see if I should remove the package
> altogether...

Heya,

given I'd like to buy a cheap webcam, I'm most likely going to try the
QC E2500 out, which seems to have the following IDs, which seem to be
indeed known in the linux source tree:
| -(cyril@talisker pts/9)-(~/hack/various/linux-2.6.git/drivers)
| $ git grep 046d | grep 089d
| media/video/gspca/zc3xx.c: {USB_DEVICE(0x046d, 0x089d), .driver_info = SENSOR_MC501CB},

Also, since there's no more qc-usb releases, I guess it's good news to
have it in the kernel. ;)

I'll report back ASAP.

Mraw,
KiBi.

signature.asc

Martín Ferrari

unread,
May 9, 2009, 10:00:26 AM5/9/09
to
Hi Kibil,

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 02:05, Cyril Brulebois <ki...@debian.org> wrote:

> given I'd like to buy a cheap webcam, I'm most likely going to try the
> QC E2500 out, which seems to have the following IDs, which seem to be
> indeed known in the linux source tree:
> | -(cyril@talisker pts/9)-(~/hack/various/linux-2.6.git/drivers)
> | $ git grep 046d | grep 089d
> | media/video/gspca/zc3xx.c:    {USB_DEVICE(0x046d, 0x089d), .driver_info = SENSOR_MC501CB},
>
> Also, since there's no more qc-usb releases, I guess it's good news to
> have it in the kernel. ;)
>
> I'll report back ASAP.

Great, thanks!

Cyril Brulebois

unread,
May 12, 2009, 10:20:10 PM5/12/09
to
Martín Ferrari <martin....@gmail.com> (09/05/2009):
> Hi Kibil,

Heh :)

> On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 02:05, Cyril Brulebois <ki...@debian.org> wrote:
> > Also, since there's no more qc-usb releases, I guess it's good news
> > to have it in the kernel. ;)
> >
> > I'll report back ASAP.
>
> Great, thanks!

Woops, got delayed a bit. Findings:
- get a Logitech QC E1000 for < 15 bucks,
- plug it in,
- profit!

Almost, actually. AFAICT from googling around, around 2.6.27, some
palettes stuff were added, and many applications can't talk V4L2 yet, so
they need some bits of help to use recent drivers; for that matter, some
.so (to be used through LD_PRELOAD) come to the rescue:
| LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so $application

I've been able to view stuff using mplayer that way:
| mplayer tv:// -v driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0

I've also started playing around with motion, which writes to many files
when stuff happens in front of the camera.

Fnu ahead!

Ah, and I'm on 2.6.29-1-amd64, I almost forgot. ;)

Mraw,
KiBi.

signature.asc
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages