Bug#462543: samba: No more CUPS printing any more

71 views
Skip to first unread message

Elmar Haneke

unread,
Jan 25, 2008, 10:30:19 AM1/25/08
to
Package: samba
Version: 3.0.28-2
Severity: normal


Samba seems to be unable to retrieve Printer-List from Cups server.

Samba-Log:
Unable to get jobs for ipp://localhost/printers/ -
client-error-bad-request

CUPS-Error-Log:
Unsupported character set "iso-8859-1"!

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
APT prefers testing
APT policy: (400, 'testing')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.19.7
Locale: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages samba depends on:
ii adduser 3.105 add and remove users and groups
ii debconf [debconf-2.0] 1.5.18 Debian configuration management sy
ii libacl1 2.2.45-1 Access control list shared library
ii libattr1 1:2.4.39-1 Extended attribute shared library
ii libc6 2.7-6 GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii libcomerr2 1.40.3-1 common error description library
ii libcupsys2 1.3.5-1 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
ii libgnutls13 2.0.4-1 the GNU TLS library - runtime libr
ii libkrb53 1.6.dfsg.3~beta1-2 MIT Kerberos runtime libraries
ii libldap2 2.1.30.dfsg-13.5 OpenLDAP libraries
ii libpam-modules 0.99.7.1-5 Pluggable Authentication Modules f
ii libpam-runtime 0.99.7.1-5 Runtime support for the PAM librar
ii libpam0g 0.99.7.1-5 Pluggable Authentication Modules l
ii libpopt0 1.10-3 lib for parsing cmdline parameters
ii logrotate 3.7.1-3 Log rotation utility
ii lsb-base 3.1-24 Linux Standard Base 3.1 init scrip
ii procps 1:3.2.7-5 /proc file system utilities
ii samba-common 3.0.28-2 Samba common files used by both th
ii update-inetd 4.27-0.6 inetd.conf updater
ii zlib1g 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-8 compression library - runtime

samba recommends no packages.

-- debconf information:
samba/nmbd_from_inetd:
* samba/log_files_moved:
* samba/tdbsam: true
* samba/generate_smbpasswd: true
* samba/run_mode: daemons

--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-bugs-...@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listm...@lists.debian.org

Steve Langasek

unread,
Jan 29, 2008, 11:50:12 AM1/29/08
to
On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 04:01:13PM +0100, Elmar Haneke wrote:
> Package: samba
> Version: 3.0.28-2
> Severity: normal

> Samba seems to be unable to retrieve Printer-List from Cups server.

> Samba-Log:
> Unable to get jobs for ipp://localhost/printers/ -
> client-error-bad-request

> CUPS-Error-Log:
> Unsupported character set "iso-8859-1"!

This looks like a repeat of bug #451105 in CUPS. In general, this appears
to be a behavior change in CUPS which results in stricter configuration
requirements for Samba.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=451105#40 describes a
particular method for fixing the problem. Can you check what you currently
have for your 'dos charset', 'unix charset', and 'display charset' settings
in smb.conf?

Your 'display charset' value may be set to 'LOCALE'. I see that you filed
the bug report from a UTF-8 locale, but is it possible that other users on
your system (e.g., root) are still using an ISO8859-1 locale?

--
Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slan...@ubuntu.com vor...@debian.org

Steve Langasek

unread,
Jan 29, 2008, 11:50:13 AM1/29/08
to
On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 08:33:20AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 04:01:13PM +0100, Elmar Haneke wrote:
> > Package: samba
> > Version: 3.0.28-2
> > Severity: normal

> > Samba seems to be unable to retrieve Printer-List from Cups server.

> > Samba-Log:
> > Unable to get jobs for ipp://localhost/printers/ -
> > client-error-bad-request

> > CUPS-Error-Log:
> > Unsupported character set "iso-8859-1"!

> Your 'display charset' value may be set to 'LOCALE'. I see that you filed


> the bug report from a UTF-8 locale, but is it possible that other users on
> your system (e.g., root) are still using an ISO8859-1 locale?

Indeed, the CUPS error is trivially (and exclusively) reproducible for me if
I run:

# LANG=en_US /etc/init.d/samba restart

Otherwise, Samba always correctly negotiates UTF-8 as the display charset
based on my en_US.UTF-8 locale.

Elmar Haneke

unread,
Jan 29, 2008, 12:20:12 PM1/29/08
to
> Can you check what you currently
> have for your 'dos charset', 'unix charset', and 'display charset' settings
> in smb.conf?

unix charset = iso8859-15

"dos charset" and "display charset" are not set.


Is it realy required to rename files on disk to resolve this problem?

> Your 'display charset' value may be set to 'LOCALE'. I see that you filed
> the bug report from a UTF-8 locale, but is it possible that other users on
> your system (e.g., root) are still using an ISO8859-1 locale?

How can I check this?

Is it sufficient to reconfigure locales package and reboot afterwards?

Steve Langasek

unread,
Jan 29, 2008, 12:40:11 PM1/29/08
to
On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 06:08:04PM +0100, Elmar Haneke wrote:
>> Can you check what you currently
>> have for your 'dos charset', 'unix charset', and 'display charset' settings
>> in smb.conf?

> unix charset = iso8859-15

> "dos charset" and "display charset" are not set.

> Is it realy required to rename files on disk to resolve this problem?

Since it appears to be the 'display charset' which governs interaction with
CUPS, probably not.

>> Your 'display charset' value may be set to 'LOCALE'. I see that you filed
>> the bug report from a UTF-8 locale, but is it possible that other users on
>> your system (e.g., root) are still using an ISO8859-1 locale?

> How can I check this?

> Is it sufficient to reconfigure locales package and reboot afterwards?

When you sent your initial bug report, reportbug listed "de_DE.UTF-8" as
your locale. Was this on the machine where you experienced the problem? If
so, it should be sufficient for you to run:

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 /etc/init.d/samba restart

to test whether this fixes your problem. If it does, then I guess you need
to reconfigure your locale so that the change is persistent across reboots.

Thinking about this report, it's my opinion that this is a bug in Samba. We
know that CUPS 1.3.5 and above require UTF-8, so Samba should always use
UTF-8 when talking to CUPS, regardless of the display charset setting. If
you can confirm that the above changes fix the problem for you, I'll forward
the report upstream.

--
Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slan...@ubuntu.com vor...@debian.org

--

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages