cdrtools-1.8a19 ready (cdrecord+cdda2wav+mkisofs)

Joerg Schilling

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
The mkisofs-1.12b5 is a preliminary copy of the new release that
will be out the next days.

NEW features of cdrecord-1.8a19:

cdrecord:

- New option -force allows to blank defective CD-RW's
that otherwise would cause cdrecord to complain about
a media with non recoverable TOC errors.

- Fixed a typo that prevented compilation of cdrecord.c with
K&R compilers.

- Fixed a bug with ISRC's in DAO mode.

- Fixed a bug with non page aligned buffers if the FIFO was
present. This caused problems with FreeBSD/current/CAM
due to the fact that the max. number of DMA pages was
exceeded.

- 5 new CD blank manufacturers added to the list of the decoder

- Add code to read back the used writing speed from MMC drives.
This allows to call cdrecord speed=4 on a CD-RW and to read
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 ....

- Added support for -toc on the Philips CDD-522

readcd:

- New. This is currently a stripped down version of scgskeleton.
Unlike its brother, it compiles on all OS.
readcd allows you to read data CD's. Because it ignores the
CD disk label, it may be used to copy Solaris boot CD's.

Call:

readcd [target] [lun] [scsibusno]

Select function 11 to copy a CD to a file. If you are trying
to copy a CD-R that has been made in TAO mode, modify the
value for Number of sectors to copy by subtracting '2' from the
displayed default value.

mkisofs:

- upgraded to mkisofs-1.12b5 which is not really very different
from the mkisofd-1.12b4 that was in this package before.
mkisofs-1.12b5 now includes my patches and offeres some
new enhancements as shown below:

- mkisofs now is able to create a new session that is not
related to a startsector '0'. This now makes it easy to
create a CD+ where the first session contains audio and the second
session contains a ISO-9660 filesystem.
Use "mkisofs -C0,xxx ...."
and ommit -Mdevice to use this new feature.

- Check for overflow in the Joliet directory tables.

- changed UNICODE level for Joliet
As mkisofs just "expands" 8 bit character codes to 16 bits and does
nothing special with the Unicode characters, therefore shouldn't mkisofs
really be stating that it's using UCS-2 Level 1, not Level 3 for
the Joliet directory tree.

cdda2wav:

Features:
o fixed an ugly bug with premature death of the writer process.
leading to shortened last tracks.
o changed the speed default from 0 to 0xffff (for maximum speed)
o enhanced cd text detection
o added the creator field for cd text output
o increased the version number :-)
o added a new file NEEDED to guide all our sponsors :-)
o clean ups

Features/Changes compared to cdrtools-1.8a18:
o bug fix: fixed the premature end bug finally
o bug fix: endian detection for big endian machines works now
o bug fix: undid a debugging change in the sectorsize handling
o treat broken start sector address of first track as zero
o cd text: fixed crc calculation
o cd text: better detection
o cd text: added the creator display (but ugly yet)
o new default: audio file name for Sun (now .au instead of .sun)
-Osun works now as well as -Oau, (format is unchanged)
o new default: plextor drives default to non overlap
o new default: speed is 0xffff (maximum for mmc drives)
this might not work with other drives, it seems difficult to default
to a good value for all drives. Relaxed speed checks.
The user specified value is used as is.
o optimisation: use minimum of process communication overhead
o optimisation: use page aligned transfer buffers (less memcpys)
o optimisation: now default for 4 buffers instead of 2
o optimisation: use minimum of endianess changes
o optimisation: omitted the early sync() call (was a precaution)
o optimisation: reduced frequency of screen updates
o misc: minor INF file changes

CYGWIN NT-4.0 NOTES:

To compile on Cygwin32, get Cygwin32-beta20 and install it.
then create a symlink from /bin to the .../bin directory where bash is located.
Now run 'make' ...

The files are located on:

ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/alpha ...

NOTE: These tar archives are 100% ansi compatible. Solaris 2.x tar and GNU
tar may get some minor trouble.

WARNING: Do not use 'mc' to extract the tar file!
All mc versions before 4.0.14 cannot extract symbolic links correctly.
Jörg

EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
j...@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1
schi...@fokus.gmd.de (work) chars I am J"org Schilling

go...@solidmedia.de

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99

> readcd:
>
> - New. This is currently a stripped down version of scgskeleton.
> Unlike its brother, it compiles on all OS.
> readcd allows you to read data CD's. Because it ignores the
> CD disk label, it may be used to copy Solaris boot CD's.
>
> Call:
>
> readcd [target] [lun] [scsibusno]
>
> Select function 11 to copy a CD to a file. If you are trying
> to copy a CD-R that has been made in TAO mode, modify the
> value for Number of sectors to copy by subtracting '2' from the
> displayed default value.

Hello,

does readcd read the raw blocks from a CD so you can use DAO to get a
1:1 copy or still the 2048b data blocks ?

Greets, Sven

Joerg Schilling

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
>From cdwrite...@other.debian.org Mon Mar 8 13:43:39 1999
>From: go...@solidmedia.de

>> readcd:
>>
>> - New. This is currently a stripped down version of scgskeleton.
>> Unlike its brother, it compiles on all OS.
>> readcd allows you to read data CD's. Because it ignores the
>> CD disk label, it may be used to copy Solaris boot CD's.
>>
>> Call:
>>
>> readcd [target] [lun] [scsibusno]
>>
>> Select function 11 to copy a CD to a file. If you are trying
>> to copy a CD-R that has been made in TAO mode, modify the
>> value for Number of sectors to copy by subtracting '2' from the
>> displayed default value.
>>

>Hello,

>does readcd read the raw blocks from a CD so you can use DAO to get a
>1:1 copy or still the 2048b data blocks ?

As long as cdrecord does not support anything bejond 2048 or 2352,
it makes no sense.

Jörg

EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
j...@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1
schi...@fokus.gmd.de (work) chars I am J"org Schilling

Dan Hollis

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> >does readcd read the raw blocks from a CD so you can use DAO to get a
> >1:1 copy or still the 2048b data blocks ?
> As long as cdrecord does not support anything bejond 2048 or 2352,
> it makes no sense.

What is needed to support XA form1/form2 sectors on Sony 920S? The drive
definitely supports it, and I have the 920S programming manual.
I have tested making XA discs on Windows CD-R software with the 920S and
it definitely works.

-Dan

Diego Scanarotti

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99
I still have problems with CD-RW: I've recorded a CD-RW. Before writing I
issued the command 'cdrecord blank=all', then created the image. The
recording process has finished correctly, but when I try to issue the
command 'mount /dev/scd0 -t iso9660 /mnt/cdrw' this is the message I get:

mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
or too many mounted file systems

Note that before trying to mount the fs, I eject and reload the disk.
Does anyone have a suggestion ?

Bye,

Diego

Joachim Noffke

Mar 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/9/99
Diego Scanarotti wrote:

> I still have problems with CD-RW: I've recorded a CD-RW. Before writing I
> issued the command 'cdrecord blank=all', then created the image. The
> recording process has finished correctly, but when I try to issue the
> command 'mount /dev/scd0 -t iso9660 /mnt/cdrw' this is the message I get:
>
> mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
> or too many mounted file systems
>
> Note that before trying to mount the fs, I eject and reload the disk.
> Does anyone have a suggestion ?

You'll get the same message if you insert an ordinary CDROM in a CDROM
drive and try to mount it before the drive had the time to read the CD's
table of contents. Should this be the reason of your problem, all you
have to do is insert the disc and wait for the drive's LED to go out
(indicating that it is finished reading) before you issue the mount
command. (I know this sounds simple, but sometimes the obvious is easy
to overlook...)

Regards,

Joachim